Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com> on 2006/09/26 02:28:55 UTC

projects under TLP umbrella

Starting a new thread...

First, project characteristics.  I'd argue that a good project for the
TLP would have

--> developers who are part of the Velocity community (either active
on the mailing lists, and better yet those who have contributed
patches or bug reprots)

--> strong or growing community of its own

--> the integration of Velocity is a key part of the project

Second... project content...  What are some typical kinds of projects
that might fall under the TLP umbrella, and why?

--> A way of making Velocity accessible for new use?  (e.g. Texen,
Anakia, DVSL, a JSP tag library based on Velocity expressions)

--> Port of Velocity to another platform?  (e.g. nVelocity)

--> Web framework closely tied to Velocity (Click, Turbine?)

Not saying all of the above are candidates.  But would they fit our
desired umbrella?

WILL

--
Forio Business Simulations

Will Glass-Husain
wglass@forio.com
www.forio.com

Re: projects under TLP umbrella

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 9/25/06, Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com> wrote:
> Starting a new thread...
>
> First, project characteristics.  I'd argue that a good project for the
> TLP would have
>
> --> developers who are part of the Velocity community (either active
> on the mailing lists, and better yet those who have contributed
> patches or bug reprots)
>
> --> strong or growing community of its own
>
> --> the integration of Velocity is a key part of the project

i liked the way Geir said it, that it should only work with Velocity
(i.e. not function w/o Velocity.  If Velocity is optional or
tangential, then it is unlikely the projects community will be as
invested in Velocity's future.

> Second... project content...  What are some typical kinds of projects
> that might fall under the TLP umbrella, and why?
>
> --> A way of making Velocity accessible for new use?  (e.g. Texen,
> Anakia, DVSL, a JSP tag library based on Velocity expressions)

definitely.  and on the subject, we probably should make Texen and
Anakia fully qualified subprojects, rather than bundle them with the
core.

> --> Port of Velocity to another platform?  (e.g. nVelocity)

that's a tricky one...

> --> Web framework closely tied to Velocity (Click, Turbine?)

Velocity is optional for Turbine users, so i don't see that as a fit.

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Click as a Web framework

Then I can start work on my evil reverse take over plan, heh, heh
heh.. Ops did I say that out loud.

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
I agree with Geir about the advantages of working with nVelocity.
While there wouldn't be a lot of cross-code collaboration (might be
wrong) it'd be great to work on design and conceptual issues, make
sure that templates could be moved back and forth.

WILL

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> "Will Glass-Husain" <wg...@forio.com> writes:
>
>> Starting a new thread...
>
>> First, project characteristics.  I'd argue that a good project for the
>> TLP would have
>
>> --> developers who are part of the Velocity community (either active
>> on the mailing lists, and better yet those who have contributed
>> patches or bug reprots)
>
> Yes. There might also be some discussion whether we will start new
> Velocity projects inside the TLP at all.

I don't see any problem with that, as long as it's not unrelated, like
Maven was inside Turbine.

>> --> strong or growing community of its own
>
> +1
>
>> --> the integration of Velocity is a key part of the project
>
> +1
>
>> Second... project content...  What are some typical kinds of projects
>> that might fall under the TLP umbrella, and why?
>
>> --> A way of making Velocity accessible for new use?  (e.g. Texen,
>> Anakia, DVSL, a JSP tag library based on Velocity expressions)
>
> Not sure here.

Why?

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Will Glass-Husain" <wg...@forio.com> writes:

>Starting a new thread...

>First, project characteristics.  I'd argue that a good project for the
>TLP would have

>--> developers who are part of the Velocity community (either active
>on the mailing lists, and better yet those who have contributed
>patches or bug reprots)

Yes. There might also be some discussion whether we will start new
Velocity projects inside the TLP at all.

>--> strong or growing community of its own

+1

>--> the integration of Velocity is a key part of the project

+1

>Second... project content...  What are some typical kinds of projects
>that might fall under the TLP umbrella, and why?

>--> A way of making Velocity accessible for new use?  (e.g. Texen,
>Anakia, DVSL, a JSP tag library based on Velocity expressions)

Not sure here.

>--> Port of Velocity to another platform?  (e.g. nVelocity)

That is the usual Language/Tool clash. If there were a (hypothetical)
Apache .NET TLP, would nVelocity go there or to us?

>--> Web framework closely tied to Velocity (Click, Turbine?)

Click: yes. Turbine: no.

Reason: Click is built intimately around Velocity. Turbine just
happens to treat Velocity as a first class citizen but there is no
reason why you couldn't use any other templating solution or JSP with
Turbine. And the templating is just a very small part of Turbine at
all.

>Not saying all of the above are candidates.  But would they fit our
>desired umbrella?

My € 0.02 :-)

	Best regards
		Henning

Social behaviour: Bavarians can be extremely egalitarian and folksy.
                                    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavaria
Most Franconians do not like to be called Bavarians.
                                    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franconia

Re: projects under TLP umbrella

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Will Glass-Husain wrote:
> Starting a new thread...
>
> First, project characteristics.  I'd argue that a good project for the
> TLP would have
>
> --> developers who are part of the Velocity community (either active
> on the mailing lists, and better yet those who have contributed
> patches or bug reprots)
>
> --> strong or growing community of its own
>
> --> the integration of Velocity is a key part of the project

Ok, so far.

> Second... project content...  What are some typical kinds of projects
> that might fall under the TLP umbrella, and why?
>
> --> A way of making Velocity accessible for new use?  (e.g. Texen,
> Anakia, DVSL, a JSP tag library based on Velocity expressions)

Yes - in all of these cases, velocity is fundamental.

> --> Port of Velocity to another platform?  (e.g. nVelocity)

yes