Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Stuart D Jackson <st...@jhu.edu> on 2000/07/07 15:36:48 UTC

Question on DocTypes

The following is from the method detail for Document.getDocType():

"The DOM Level 2 does not support editing the Document Type Declaration,
therefore docType cannot be altered in any way, including through the use
of methods, such as insertNode or removeNode , inherited from Node."

Does this mean I cannot associate a DTD with a Document I am creating in
memory, or that I cannot change the DTD associated with an XML file that I
read in, or both?

Basically, I have my Document in memory exactly how I would like it, but I
want to a line similar to:
<!DOCTYPE plan SYSTEM "c:\xml\plan.dtd">

Thanks a lot.

-Stuart