Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr> on 2013/12/16 18:18:33 UTC

Does someone know what is the different between those code lists?

Hello Frédéric

Sorry to bother you again, I'm still trying to put some order in our
(un)marshalling of locales and code lists.

The http://schemas.opengis.net/iso/19139/20070417/resources/Codelist/
directory contains three files:

  * ML_gmxCodelists.xml
  * gmxCodelists.xml
  * tcCodelists.xml

Do you know what is the difference between those files, in particular
between "gmlCodelists.xml" with and without "ML_" prefix? Both of them
seem to contain ISO 19115 code lists, and it is not clear to me how we
are supposed to know which one to reference.

     Thanks!

         Martin

Re: Does someone know what is the different between those code lists?

Posted by Frédéric Houbie <fr...@geomatys.com>.
Hello Martin,

On 16 December 2013 21:51, Martin Desruisseaux <
martin.desruisseaux@geomatys.fr> wrote:

>  Hello Frédéric
>
> Le 16/12/13 14:57, Frédéric Houbie a écrit :
>
>  ML_gmxCodelists.xml is used for multilingual codelists using PT_FreeText
> element.
>
> So "ML" stands for "Multi Lingual"? This is nice to known, thanks for the
> clarification. Looking in the files, I saw that CI_DateTypeCode and
> CI_OnLineFunctionCode exist in both files, apparently with identical
> content except that ML_gmxCodelists.xml contains French descriptions in
> addition to the English ones. Are the following assumptions correct?

Yes

>    - All code lists defined in ML_gmxCodelists.xml exist also in
>    gmxCodelists.xml.
>    - The converse is not true (ML_gmxCodelists.xml seems to contains a
>    subset of gmxCodelists.xml).
>
> Only some that are translated I suppose. That file will grow as more
translation are made.

>    - English descriptions in ML_gmxCodelists.xml are strictly identical
>    to the ones in gmxCodelists.xml.
>
> Hopefully :-)

>    - Descriptions in other languages than English exist only in
>    ML_gmxCodelists.xml.
>
> Yes, you need to use the PT_FreeText element for multiple strings in
different language

> I presume that the same assumptions apply to gmxUom.xml and ML_gmxUom.xml
> in http://schemas.opengis.net/iso/19139/20070417/resources/uom/ ?
>

> Yes

>  tcCodelists.xml is not used in 19115. I'll contact the author to check
> with him and come back to you ASAP.
>
> Thanks! Looking at the URN in the file, they look like definitions
> provided by NATO.

Yes, but are part of the 19115-2 repository on eden, so I'll check with
them

>     Martin

Frédéric

Re: Does someone know what is the different between those code lists?

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.
Hello Frédéric

Posted by Frédéric Houbie <fr...@geomatys.com>.
Hello Martin,

ML_gmxCodelists.xml is used for multilingual codelists using PT_FreeText
element.

tcCodelists.xml is not used in 19115. I'll contact the author to check with
him and come back to you ASAP.

Thanks,

Frédéric

On 16 December 2013 18:18, Martin Desruisseaux <

--
*Frédéric Houbie*

Systems architect / Geospatial Project Manager

url : www.geomatys.com | e-mail : frederic.houbie@geomatys.com

*Office*
Maison de la Télédétection
500 rue Jean-François Breton