Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by "Charles Lin (charlin)" <ch...@cisco.com> on 2015/11/07 22:10:58 UTC

not all 50 http samplers to download file are executed

I have a script to download a file.  It works fine when the file size is below certain size.  All 50 samplers are executed.

But when file size is large - in this particular test, 330 MB file - when the test plan execution is completed, I see that only 10 or so out of total 50 samplers show up in the View Result Tree.  Does that mean 40 download did not occur?

At first I thought 50 files were not saved onto my test machine when test plan finished was due to the fact that test plan exited before all the data could be written to disk files.   However, when looking at the View Results Tree and only seeing 10+ of the total 50 samplers, it now looks like many of the samplers were not even executed.  But why?   Thread group is set up for 50 user, ramp period = 2 (I was mistaken here ... thinking 2 sec between each user but it's actually 2 sec for total of 50 user requests, so I have readjusted it to 50 seconds duration to achieve 1 sec/user rate, will retest to see ...).   I put a Constant Timer which appears to be delay of submit between each # sampler, so #1 submitted (and timer start counting 60 sec) and during this 60 sec, all 50 #1 samplers are submitted.   Then #75 gets submitted  (all 50 of them), and 50 sec later, #17 samplers (50 times) are submitted, etc.   So that means when we get to #24 samplers, I should expect to see all 50 of the #24 samplers to be there.

So why did I see only 10+ #24 samplers, and end up with only 10+ actual downloaded files instead of all 50?

Thank you
Charles

[cid:image001.png@01D11955.0D7FAA00]

[cid:image002.png@01D11956.CDFDF6F0]

Re: not all 50 http samplers to download file are executed

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi
>From your earlier email it looks like you are using View Results tree
listener? That should be off if you are actually running the test. Also  as
sergio suggested you need to check the save MD5 otherwise memory
consumption will be high - If you need the response The only way around it
would be to either increase your heap or to distribute your test across
machines (so that you can generate the same concurrent load but need less
memory per machine)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 8 November 2015 at 06:23, Charles Lin (charlin) <ch...@cisco.com> wrote:
> I changed my script from 1 Thread Group with 50 users, to 50 Thread Group each with 1 user.  Well, it does not do what I want which is concurrent downloading.
>
> Thread Group 2 does not start until Thread Group 1 finishes, which in this case means a long wait for one 310 MB to complete download, before next Thread Group (= next downloading) can begin.

By default, JMeter will start thread groups in parallel.
However you can change this by selecting "Run Thread Groups
consecutively" on the Test Plan:

http://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/component_reference.html#Test_Plan

But in any case, each Thread Group will take some extra memory
(probably not a lot, but still).
So unless you want the groups to do different things, it will be (a
bit) cheaper to use a single Thread Group with multiple threads.

The problem in your case is that the entire file has to be stored in
memory before it is written to disk.
Use the MD5 option as suggested else-thread.

Posted by Sergio Boso <se...@bosoconsulting.it>.
Hi Charles,

If I remember well, if you check the "save MD5 only", the full data is not
kept in memory.
You can check that data are data correct and you save substantial amount of
memory.
Other approach may involve OS sampler and wget operation.

Regards

Sergio Boso

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.