Posted to users@maven.apache.org by laredotornado-3 <la...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/04 15:52:02 UTC

Anyone know how to resolve this curious warning?

Hi,

I'm using Maven 2.2.  When I run my integration-test command, I'm getting
this mysterious warning ...

davea-mbp2:socialmediaproxy davea$ mvn integration-test
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[WARNING]
[WARNING] Some problems were encountered while building the effective model
for socialmediaproxy:socialmediaproxy:war:0.1
[WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.version' for
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin is missing. @ line 128,
column 15
[WARNING]
[WARNING] It is highly recommended to fix these problems because they
threaten the stability of your build.

Does anyone know what this means and how to resolve it?  (I'm hoping it will
cure errors later on).  Here is the relevant section from my pom.xml file

        maven-compiler-plugin

          1.5
          1.5

- Dave

Re: Anyone know how to resolve this curious warning?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> I'm using Maven 2.2.  When I run my integration-test command, I'm getting
> this mysterious warning ...
>
> [WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.version' for
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin is missing. @ line 128,
> column 15
>
> Does anyone know what this means and how to resolve it?  (I'm hoping it will

Did you look at line 128 in your pom file? What part of "... version
for {plugin} is missing" is in any way "mysterious"? Honestly, how can
these error messages be improved -- I think this is pretty excellent
already, but that's just my opinion.

Wayne

Re: Anyone know how to resolve this curious warning?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> mvn org.grails:grails-maven-plugin:1.2.1:create-pom -DgroupId=com.myproject
>
> that generated the pom.xml with the content I posted.  Perhaps this is an
> issue for another mailing list, but why didn't the autogeneration add the
> appropriate  tag?  Is there a good reason not to specify a version?

It has never been REQUIRED to include the version tag for a plugin.
But now with Maven 3, it gives a WARNING if you don't declare the
version, since that is a best practice. So it seems that plugin simply
does not generate one, for whatever reason.

This is really not the right place to ask about it since we can't
"solve" this problem so its just a waste of time talking about it --
perhaps the org.grails folks can help answer your questions and
ultimately fix/change the plugin to generate the plugin version(s) as
it should.

Wayne

Re: Anyone know how to resolve this curious warning?

Posted by laredotornado-3 <la...@gmail.com>.
I am mavenizing a Grails (1.2.1) project, using the instructions here --
http://grails.org/doc/latest/guide/4.%20The%20Command%20Line.html .  I ran
the command

mvn org.grails:grails-maven-plugin:1.2.1:create-pom -DgroupId=com.myproject

that generated the pom.xml with the content I posted.  Perhaps this is an
issue for another mailing list, but why didn't the autogeneration add the
appropriate  tag?  Is there a good reason not to specify a version?

Thanks, - Dave

Re: Anyone know how to resolve this curious warning?

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
add a <version> tag after the <artifactId> with the version of the
maven compiler plugin that you want to use.