Posted to user@spark.apache.org by abhijeet bedagkar <qa...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/16 12:43:21 UTC

Datafarme save as table operation is failing when the child columns name contains special characters

Hi,

I am using SPARK to read the XML / JSON files to create a dataframe and
save it as a hive table

Sample XML file:
<revolt_configuration>
<id>101</id>
    <testexecutioncontroller>
        <execution-timeout>45</execution-timeout>
        <execution->COMMAND</execution-method>
    </testexecutioncontroller>
</revolt_configuration>

Note field 'validation-timeout' under testexecutioncontroller.

Below is the schema populated by DF after reading the XML file

|-- id: long (nullable = true)
|-- testexecutioncontroller: struct (nullable = true)
|    |-- execution-timeout: long (nullable = true)
|    |-- execution-method: string (nullable = true)

While saving this dataframe to hive table I am getting below exception

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Error: : expected at the
position 24 of
'bigint:struct<execution-timeout:bigint,execution-method:string>' but '-'
is found.        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.typeinfo.TypeInfoUtils$TypeInfoParser.expect(TypeInfoUtils.java:360)
      at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.typeinfo.TypeInfoUtils$TypeInfoParser.expect(TypeInfoUtils.java:331)
      at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.typeinfo.TypeInfoUtils$TypeInfoParser.parseType(TypeInfoUtils.java:483)
      at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.typeinfo.TypeInfoUtils$TypeInfoParser.parseTypeInfos(TypeInfoUtils.java:305)
      at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.typeinfo.TypeInfoUtils.getTypeInfosFromTypeString(TypeInfoUtils.java:765)
      at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.parquet.serde.ParquetHiveSerDe.initialize(ParquetHiveSerDe.java:111)
      at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.AbstractSerDe.initialize(AbstractSerDe.java:53)
      at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.SerDeUtils.initializeSerDe(SerDeUtils.java:521)
      at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.MetaStoreUtils.getDeserializer(MetaStoreUtils.java:391)
      at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Table.getDeserializerFromMetaStore(Table.java:276)
      at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Table.checkValidity(Table.java:197)
  at org.apache

It looks like the issue is happening due to special character '-' in the
field. As after removing the special character it iw working properly.

Could you please let me know if there is way to replaces all child column
names so that it can be saved as table without any issue.

Creating the STRUCT FIELD from df.schema and recursively creating another
STRUCTFIELD with renamed column is one solution I am aware of. But still
wanted to check if there is easy way to do this.

Thanks,
Abhijeet

Re: Datafarme save as table operation is failing when the child columns name contains special characters

Posted by abhijeet bedagkar <qa...@gmail.com>.
I further dig down into this issue and 1. Seems like this issue originates
from hive meta-store since when tried to execute query with sub-column
containing special characters and despite adding backtick it did not work
for me 2. I solved this issue by explicitly passing SQL expression to the
data frame by updating special character from sub columns

Ex

source data :
{
  "address": {
    "lane-one": "mark street",
    "lane:two": "sub stree"
 }
}
Python CODE:

schema = 'struct<lane_one:string, lane_two:string>'
data_frame_from_json.select(col('address').cast(schema))
I have verified the data for much more complex JSON and XML structure and
it looks good.

Thanks,
Abhijeet