Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Olivier Tournaire <ol...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/03 15:34:58 UTC

Folder act as a repository and a checkout directory

Hi all,

I have a problem, and I do not know if there are any possibility to find an
answer. In my office we use a SVN repository for our source codes.
Sometimes, I have to work at home on this codes. So I use an external USB
hard drive to checkout the codes from the repository. Then I have to
transfer the codes on my computer at home.
What I want to konw is if there is any solution for the folder on my
external hard drive to act as a repository in order to check out from this
repository from my personnal computer.
For the moment, I have to copy manually all the modified files from my
external hard drive to my personnal computer. And, when I change something
on my computer, I have to do the job in the reverse way. It is very
confusing and I would like to find an issue to this.
Is there a way to do this ? With an other folder ?

Note that I installed a SVN server on my external hard drive.

Thanks for your answers

Olivier

Re: Folder act as a repository and a checkout directory

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
Olivier Tournaire wrote:

> I have a problem, and I do not know if there are any possibility to find an
> answer. In my office we use a SVN repository for our source codes.
> Sometimes, I have to work at home on this codes. So I use an external USB
> hard drive to checkout the codes from the repository. Then I have to
> transfer the codes on my computer at home.
> What I want to konw is if there is any solution for the folder on my
> external hard drive to act as a repository in order to check out from this
> repository from my personnal computer.
> For the moment, I have to copy manually all the modified files from my
> external hard drive to my personnal computer. And, when I change something
> on my computer, I have to do the job in the reverse way. It is very
> confusing and I would like to find an issue to this.
> Is there a way to do this ? With an other folder ?

Why can't you work directly on the copy on the USB drive wherever it is
located?  That is, do the checkout from the work machine, take it home,
make you changes directly on copies on the external drive, take it back
to work and commit without any additional copying.

If you do want to keep an additional copy on you home computer, you
might look at a 'unision' http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/ as
a syncronizing tool.  It works like rsync but keeps track of what has
changed on each side for you.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: Folder act as a repository and a checkout directory

Posted by Olivier Tournaire <ol...@gmail.com>.
It is possible in unison to ignore some items like all the ones with the
"obj" extension.

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Tournaire <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark <ma...@mitsein.net>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 4, 2007, at 05:18, Olivier Tournaire wrote:

>> You may want to look into SVK, which is based on SVN.
>
> Thanks to both of you. I have tried unison and it seems to be a
> good solution.
> Ryan, can you tell how can I use SVK for my purpose ? I would like
> to compare before choose ...

Not really, because I haven't needed to use SVK myself. But I've seen
it recommended on this list many times. As I understand it, you have
a central repository at work, say, but then you can get a clone of
that repository to take home with you over the weekend. Then you can
commit any number of changes to your local repository while you're
away from the central repository, and send your commits back to the
central repository when you're back in the office.

With just Subversion, you could certainly check out a working copy
from the central repository and take the working copy home and work
on it, but you couldn't commit; you'd have to just make edits at home
and commit everything when you're back at the office. Difficult if
you have many changes to make while away from the central repo.

I haven't used Unison so I can't tell you anything about how that
compares.

Re: Folder act as a repository and a checkout directory

Posted by Olivier Tournaire <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.