Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ben Glorie <be...@bricsnet.com> on 2002/12/27 18:59:45 UTC

Tomcat stability problem

We're running Tomcat 4.1.12 on a dual-proc PIII with 512MB RAM. The
application consists of 100,000+ HTML pages and approx. 100 jsp pages. We
get approx. 60,000 page views per day. Performance is fine, but occasionally
the system runs into the following problem:

- when you request a jsp page in the browser, there is a delay of 5-10
seconds, then the page is loaded into the browser
- even though the HTML code is complete and all images are visible, the
browser still appears to be loading something ("load" bar is creeping)
- then after approx. 30 seconds the loading stops (because of a page
timeout?)
- static HTML pages are not affected, they load as quickly as usual

Although the problem seems to happen more frequently on busy days, it does
not seem to be related to peak traffic: it has also happened at quiet times,
and sometimes within an hour after a Tomcat restart (up to 4 days after a
restart). Does anybody have any ideas on what is happening and how we can
solve it? Some configuration details:

- catalina.sh:
CATALINA_OPTS="-Xmx128M"
(we've ordered more RAM, as soon as it has arrived we're planning to change
this to -Xmx512M

- server.xml:
               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
               useURIValidationHack="false" />

- web.xml (on public site):
    <session-config>
     <session-timeout>10</session-timeout>
    </session-config>

Thanks a lot for your help.

Re: Tomcat stability problem

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
As much as I respect Remy's opinions, this looks very much like a typical GC
delay.  You might want to experiment with the 'incremental-gc' option on
your JVM (the actual syntax varies by vendor: try 'java -help' to see which
option to use).

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ben Glorie <be...@bricsnet.com>.
This happens anywhere between a few hours and a few days after a restart of
Tomcat. On quiet days as well as on busy days.

I have set -Xincgc (despite the performance decrease that this is likely to
cause) but need more time to know if that helps. I have also found a few
places where I can improve my code (in particular, database connections were
sometimes not closed); perhaps that will also have a positive effect.

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Posted by "Jim D. Results" <jd...@resultstel.com>.

Posted by Dan Payne <dp...@sotx.org>.
nevermind. i didn't RTFM close enough.

a simply performance switche for tomcat/jsp pages is the
development init-param of jasper.

cu Torsten Fohrer

Posted by Torsten Fohrer <TF...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Julian Löffelhardt <ju...@austria.fm>.
Hi,

I'm using jdk 1.4.1 on redHat Linux, and -Xincgc didn't do that well.
I was experimenting with java gc settings and -Xincgc dropped my overall
performance about 75%.

Maybe it works better with other JVM/OS combinations but it seems that when
using linux one is best of with the -client VM and no fancy gc settings ( I
also think that the incremental garbage collector would be enabled by
default if it were any good)

Beside incrementig -Xmx and -Xms I had great succcess with -XX:PermSize
and -XX:MaxPermSize to resolve several memory issues I had when using to
many distinct JSP-pages.

llap,
julian

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.