Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Arnaud HERITIER <ar...@exoplatform.com> on 2009/12/30 09:57:37 UTC

Maven 3.? and settings and more

Hi,

  I think there is no change in maven 3.0 about settings.xml ?
  Actually there are several problems (from my point of view) :
  * Mirrors don't support something to catch all releases repo or all
snasphots repo.
  ** It creates a problem because you have to use a unique group in repo
managers and then you download SNAPSHOTs versions for CLI plugins.
  ** Using repoIDs for mirror is unusable because repoIDs aren't unique
  * Profiles are confusing and can be source of problems if they are badly
used. Moreover many things have to be put in profiles (repositories for
example) whereas it could be outside.
  * There is no inheritance/mixins mechanisms to share settings accross an
organization / a company / a project thus it is difficult to deploy/keep up
to date them

  Not really related to settings but to the infrastructure and how maven
works we talked several times about having several local repositories. The
most interesting feature was to have one dedicated for each build and
binaries was moved to another when all the project was build. It could allow
to have a form of transaction in the build to not install a part of a
project and having inconsistencies. (The problem also exists for deployment
- how could we deploy all binaries only when the project is entirely built).

  I'm pushing all those questions because you are reviewing our backlog and
I don't know if some of these remarks are already filled in Jira.

  Cheers,

Arnaud Héritier
Software Factory Manager
eXo platform - http://www.exoplatform.com
---
http://www.aheritier.net

Re: Maven 3.? and settings and more

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>.
On 2009-12-30, at 3:57 AM, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I think there is no change in maven 3.0 about settings.xml ?

There are no changes in settings.xml. There will be no changes in settings.xml for 3.0 at this point.

>  Actually there are several problems (from my point of view) :
>  * Mirrors don't support something to catch all releases repo or all
> snasphots repo.
>  ** It creates a problem because you have to use a unique group in repo
> managers and then you download SNAPSHOTs versions for CLI plugins.
>  ** Using repoIDs for mirror is unusable because repoIDs aren't unique
>  * Profiles are confusing and can be source of problems if they are badly
> used. Moreover many things have to be put in profiles (repositories for
> example) whereas it could be outside.
>  * There is no inheritance/mixins mechanisms to share settings accross an
> organization / a company / a project thus it is difficult to deploy/keep up
> to date them

There's already a proposal for much of this. I know Brian wanted to talk about it so I'll leave that to him. Regardless this is unlikely to change between now and 3.0.

>  Not really related to settings but to the infrastructure and how maven
> works we talked several times about having several local repositories. The
> most interesting feature was to have one dedicated for each build and
> binaries was moved to another when all the project was build. It could allow
> to have a form of transaction in the build to not install a part of a
> project and having inconsistencies. (The problem also exists for deployment

The infrastructure for having multiple "local" repositories is already implemented in the core. This was to simplify IDE integration primarily but would allow multiple local repositories if you wanted on only for snapshots versus releases.

> - how could we deploy all binaries only when the project is entirely built).

This will also not be terribly hard to fix but is a major behavioural change and will require quite a bit of testing.

>  I'm pushing all those questions because you are reviewing our backlog and
> I don't know if some of these remarks are already filled in Jira.

We're not going to anything until it's cleaned up. It's probably pretty near impossible for anyone with only 20 minutes to find anything. Our website, JIRA and Confluence are all not very well organized. So as part of the 3.0 the code, testing, and visibility to the outside world is primarily what I'm going to focus. I think the only sane thing to do is try to move people forward to a well tested replacement for the 2.x line which is a dead end.

>  Cheers,
>

> Arnaud Héritier
> Software Factory Manager
> eXo platform - http://www.exoplatform.com
> ---
> http://www.aheritier.net

Thanks,

Jason

Re: Maven 3.? and settings and more

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 31/12/2009, at 12:20 PM, Stephen Connolly wrote:

> can we remember to update the "do not use this wiki" wiki to point to cwiki as well (wiki.apache.org)

I'll go one better: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-2408

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: Maven 3.? and settings and more

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
can we remember to update the "do not use this wiki" wiki to point to
cwiki as well (wiki.apache.org)

Sent from my [rhymes with tryPod] ;-)

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 01/01/2010, at 5:33 AM, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:

> Thank you and happy new year !!!

And to you too :)

I've reimported the latest space so everything should be ready to go now. I'll clean up a bit when I get back this afternoon.

- Brett

Re: Maven 3.? and settings and more

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ar...@exoplatform.com>.
Thank you and happy new year !!!

Arnaud

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 01/01/2010, at 2:54 AM, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:

> ok cool
> I'll try to start to work on them this WE (Yes, I know I'm a nolife)
> I cannot edit pages, nor administrate the space.
> If someone can give me privileges.
> Thx.

Done

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
ok cool

On 2009-12-31, at 3:55 AM, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:

> ok, let me know when the space @ Apache will be in sync to the one in
> codehaus and when the one in codehaus will be in RO or removed.
> I'll start to cleanup its content.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Arnaud Héritier
> Software Factory Manager
> eXo platform - http://www.exoplatform.com
> ---
> http://www.aheritier.net
>

> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 12:59 AM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com> wrote:
>
>> Sure, not a problem.

>> planned then help cleanup this Confluence page:

>> we culled out the dead stuff and things that have been done then it would be
>> easier for people to see what can be done.

>> Codehaus confluence admin privs. I've added a notice on the front page.

>>> It would be good if it's possible to have a redirect page for the whole
>>> Codehaus wiki, that points to the new location. That'll give us, and the
>>> search engines, time to update any links to it.

>>> --
>>> Dennis Lundberg

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

Jason

Re: Maven 3.? and settings and more

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>.
Sure, not a problem.

On 2009-12-30, at 6:46 PM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> Jason van Zyl wrote:

>>> I thought I'd made those readonly, but remember now that I don't have Codehaus confluence admin privs. I've added a notice on the front page.
>>>
>>> This was already migrated to:
>>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVENOLD
>>>

>> I can ask Ben to just shut this down. Are you done with your migration?
>
> It would be good if it's possible to have a redirect page for the whole
> Codehaus wiki, that points to the new location. That'll give us, and the
> search engines, time to update any links to it.
>
>>> With the intent of migrating anything meaningful into a clean slate at:
>>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN
>>>
>>> - Brett
>>>
>>> --
>>> Brett Porter
>>> brett@apache.org
>>> http://brettporter.wordpress.com/

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

> Dennis Lundberg

Jason

Re: Maven 3.? and settings and more

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 31/12/2009, at 10:46 AM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> Jason van Zyl wrote:

>>> I thought I'd made those readonly, but remember now that I don't have Codehaus confluence admin privs. I've added a notice on the front page.
>>>
>>> This was already migrated to:
>>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVENOLD
>>>

>> I can ask Ben to just shut this down. Are you done with your migration?

Looks like there have been a few modifications, and I wanted to do a better job matching up user names. Let me see if I can reimport it again and I'll drop Ben an email.

> It would be good if it's possible to have a redirect page for the whole
> Codehaus wiki, that points to the new location. That'll give us, and the
> search engines, time to update any links to it.

Yep, I agree. I think we can point the redirect at the new wiki - if the page is migrated directly it should give a hit, and if not, Confluence will recommend the closest matching (including anything in the "OLD" space). There shouldn't be a need to copy over content that isn't current / reviewed.

- Brett

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On 2009-12-30, at 6:34 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
>
>> On 31/12/2009, at 2:11 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>
>>> Arnaud,
>>>
>>> If you really want to help to let people see what's going to be planned then help cleanup this Confluence page:
>>>
>>> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Home
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/All+Proposals
>>>
>>> There are bits and pieces of all that you've talked about below and if we culled out the dead stuff and things that have been done then it would be easier for people to see what can be done.
>>
>> I thought I'd made those readonly, but remember now that I don't have Codehaus confluence admin privs. I've added a notice on the front page.
>>
>> This was already migrated to:
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVENOLD
>>

> I can ask Ben to just shut this down. Are you done with your migration?

It would be good if it's possible to have a redirect page for the whole
Codehaus wiki, that points to the new location. That'll give us, and the
search engines, time to update any links to it.

>> With the intent of migrating anything meaningful into a clean slate at:
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN
>>
>> - Brett
>>
>> --
>> Brett Porter
>> brett@apache.org
>> http://brettporter.wordpress.com/

> Jason

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Maven 3.? and settings and more

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

On 2009-12-30, at 3:57 AM, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I think there is no change in maven 3.0 about settings.xml ?
>  Actually there are several problems (from my point of view) :
>  * Mirrors don't support something to catch all releases repo or all
> snasphots repo.
>  ** It creates a problem because you have to use a unique group in repo
> managers and then you download SNAPSHOTs versions for CLI plugins.
>  ** Using repoIDs for mirror is unusable because repoIDs aren't unique
>  * Profiles are confusing and can be source of problems if they are badly
> used. Moreover many things have to be put in profiles (repositories for
> example) whereas it could be outside.
>  * There is no inheritance/mixins mechanisms to share settings accross an
> organization / a company / a project thus it is difficult to deploy/keep up
> to date them
>
>  Not really related to settings but to the infrastructure and how maven
> works we talked several times about having several local repositories. The
> most interesting feature was to have one dedicated for each build and
> binaries was moved to another when all the project was build. It could allow
> to have a form of transaction in the build to not install a part of a
> project and having inconsistencies. (The problem also exists for deployment
> - how could we deploy all binaries only when the project is entirely built).
>

>  I'm pushing all those questions because you are reviewing our backlog and
> I don't know if some of these remarks are already filled in Jira.
>
>  Cheers,
>

> Arnaud Héritier
> Software Factory Manager
> eXo platform - http://www.exoplatform.com