Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/11 00:03:59 UTC

CVE-2010-4476 - is it fixed or not?

Hi,

short question, I read in the http://tomcat.apache.org/security-6.html
that a possible DoS attack vulnerability has been fixed in Request
class.
Does that mean that CVE-2010-4476 is
a) not an issue with 6.0.32++
b) not an issue unless the app uses Double.parseDouble
c) probably not in issue in tomcat, at least until someone finds out it is.

regards
Leon

Re: CVE-2010-4476 - is it fixed or not?

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
On 02/11/2011 10:42 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:

>> b) not an issue unless the app uses Double.parseDouble
> False. As per the announcement sent to all the usual places:
> <quote>
> Tomcat is affected when  accessing a form based security constrained
> page or any page that calls javax.servlet.ServletRequest.getLocale() or
> javax.servlet.ServletRequest.getLocales().
> </quote>

I'd add that the app needs a workaround as well if directly parsing
the problematic user/wire data (without patched JVM)

Regards
--
^TM

Re: CVE-2010-4476 - is it fixed or not?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 10/02/2011 23:03, Leon Rosenberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> short question, I read in the http://tomcat.apache.org/security-6.html
> that a possible DoS attack vulnerability has been fixed in Request
> class.
> Does that mean that CVE-2010-4476 is
> a) not an issue with 6.0.32++
True. Also not an issue with 7.0.8+ and 5.5.33+

> b) not an issue unless the app uses Double.parseDouble
False. As per the announcement sent to all the usual places:
<quote>
Tomcat is affected when  accessing a form based security constrained
page or any page that calls javax.servlet.ServletRequest.getLocale() or
javax.servlet.ServletRequest.getLocales().
</quote>

> c) probably not in issue in tomcat, at least until someone finds out it is.
False. See above.

I would add that Oracle have now released a patch for 1.6.0_23. If
running on a patched JVM, CVE-2010-4476 is not an issue for *any* Tomcat
version.

Mark

Re: CVE-2010-4476 - is it fixed or not?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.