Posted to user@struts.apache.org by tw...@sceptical.co.uk on 2001/12/18 12:06:58 UTC

PLEASE COMMENTS! Design question on very long lists... (a little bit OT)

Hi to all!

I strongly appreciate struts - it a very valuable tool to work with. So I started to build a EIS-similar application with much DB-Access, business code and so on... (try to work with Jonas EJB Server). But there arer some design question and I do appreciate comments on these.
I have plenty of masks with DB-Access and CRUD-Operations. You can make a choice based on the Primary Key (or something else). E.g. Articels have a primary key, let's say WCF1001, REI1002, VAT-Code can be choosed, Zip-Code, Customer Name and so on. On behalf of articels: I am using html:select and build a selection list, but there are thousands of Primary Keys and you have to send MANY bytes through the net building the mask (think of many selection list in one mask!!).
What is in your opinion the "best" method the keep the selection lists short? Can I resend/request the selection list, building new ones with the next key? Is it possible to simulate the behavior of - let's say - of the help index of Microsoft? Or is it convenient to build short lists with  beginning letters, then "climb down" to a next short list a.s.o??
Have I to switch to applets (with all its disadvantages...)?

I am very eager to hear the opinion of you!

Thanks
Thomas

>:-) As sceptical as one can be! (-:<

Get a free, personalised email address at http://another.com
TXT ALRT! Stop wasting money now. Send FREE, personalised txt
msgs to UK mobile phones from http://another.com

Re: PLEASE COMMENTS! Design question on very long lists... (a little bit OT)

Posted by Rakesh <ay...@india.com>.
Why dont you try out expresso.... always helps when you have lots of
database stuff.

       --Rakesh