Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Li...@gicr.fr on 2008/09/09 08:59:02 UTC

make an updated version of jetspeed

Hi,

I must achieve a migration Jetspeed v2 to Jetspeed v2-1-3. (The database
system is Mysql 5).

Is there a procedure to make upgrades or even software ?

Best regards

Lionel

Re: make an updated version of jetspeed

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Sep 8, 2008, at 11:59 PM, LionelGaillard-LoisonExterne@gicr.fr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I must achieve a migration Jetspeed v2 to Jetspeed v2-1-3. (The
> database
> system is Mysql 5).
>
> Is there a procedure to make upgrades or even software ?

Here is the data migration instructions:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/guides/guide-migration.html

I uploaded an Ant upgrade project to here:

http://people.apache.org/~taylor/upgradeJetspeed.zip

The project is not really complete, just a work in progress. If you
want to check it out, and maybe it will work for you or give you some
ideas

Here are the basic instructions describing it....

    -- Jetspeed Upgrader --

Welcome to the Jetspeed Upgrader. This Ant project will upgrade from
an older
version of Jetspeed to a newer version. The upgrader will only work
with the
following versions:

2.1.1
2.1.2
2.1.3

Please shutdown your application server before running this process
Also recommend backing up everything

With 2.2 release, we hope to make the jetspeed.war a readonly
distributable,
vastly simplifying the upgrade procedure from 2.2 onward

Before Running: Modifications are required to properties under the ##
Distribution section

    -- Terminology --

Distribution -- the distribution area, such as a Tomcat or Websphere app
                 server's expanded web application directory

Upgrade -- the new resources being copied into the old distribution

Save Area -- all resources are copied to the save area and can be
restored

    -- Strategy --
The strategy of the upgrade is to following algorithm:

For each resource directory:
* copy the old resources from the distribution to the save area
* delete the resources in the old distribution
* copy in the new resources from the new upgrade

This procedure does not support Spring overrides made directly in the
WEB-INF/assembly directory
It will only upgrade overrides in the WEB-INF/assembly/override
directory

    -- Database Changes --
Audit Tables: (ADMIN_ACTIVITY, USER_ACTIVITY)
While 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 should support these tables, we currently have
the Audit tables feature turned off during upgrades

The only other changes made to the 2.1.3 are related to indexing, and
are recommended for PORTLET_ENTITY performance improvements
For detailed instructions see:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/guides/guide-migration.html

    -- Ant Goals --
info     - (default) display properties settings
clean    - clean up the temporary and expanded work area
upgrade  - run the upgrader
restore  - undo the upgrader, restoring to previous version
            (once you run clean, you can no longer restore)

example: (after modifying your properties)

ant upgrade

    Properties:

## Versions
# The Old version of Jetspeed
old.version = 2.1.1
# The New version of Jetspeed
new.version = 2.1.3

## Distribution
# the expanded web application name (context)
portal.name = jetspeed
# Full Path to location of deployed Jetspeed web application
jetspeed.location = /jdev/upgrade/Jetspeed-2.1.1/webapps/${portal.name}
# Full Path to location of the deployed shared/lib jars
shared.lib.location = /jdev/upgrade/Jetspeed-2.1.1/shared/lib
# location of webapps
webapps.location = /jdev/upgrade/Jetspeed-2.1.1/webapps

## New Upgrade artifacts
# the location of the new version of jetspeed war file
upgrade.portal.war = ./wars/jetspeed-${new.version}.war
# the location of the new version of jetspeed shared lib jars
upgrade.portal.jars = ./jars
# the location of the new version of jetspeed war files
upgrade.portal.wars = ./wars

## Temporary Areas
# expanded directory for war file
upgrade.temp.area = ./work/jetspeed-${new.version}
# save area for distribution (old resources). Before deleting all
resources are copied to save area
save.location = ./work/save

## War files
# j2 admin new war file
upgrade.admin.war = ./wars/j2-admin-${new.version}.war
# Jetspeed Layouts new war file
upgrade.layouts.war = ./wars/jetspeed-layouts-${new.version}.war

## Excludes
# Excludes Roots: exclude any files or directories from the process
(comma-separated Ant list)
root.excludes = WEB-INF/, logs
# Excludes WEB-INF: writable resources
webinf.excludes = cluster_node, pages, min-pages, search_index, conf/
override.properties