Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Zachary Burnham <za...@mediaone.net> on 2000/11/07 15:18:30 UTC

mod_so/6809: Directions provided for compiling with DSO support do not seem to work

>Number:         6809
>Category:       mod_so
>Synopsis:       Directions provided for compiling with DSO support do not seem to work
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I can provide these transcripts of my attempts:

[root@linuxbackup apache_1.3.14]# ls
ABOUT_APACHE  INSTALL  LICENSE        README          README.configure  cgi-bin  config.layout  htdocs  logs
Announcement  KEYS     Makefile.tmpl  README-WIN.TXT  WARNING-WIN.TXT   conf     configure      icons   src
[root@linuxbackup apache_1.3.14]# mkdir /usr/local/apache
[root@linuxbackup apache_1.3.14]# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE --with-layout=RedHat
Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.14
 + using installation path layout: RedHat (config.layout)
Creating Makefile
Creating Configuration.apaci in src
Creating Makefile in src
 + configured for Linux platform
 + setting C compiler to gcc
 + setting C pre-processor to gcc -E
 + checking for system header files
 + adding selected modules
 + enabling generation of Apache core as DSO
 + using -ldl for vendor DSO support
 + checking sizeof various data types
 + doing sanity check on compiler and options
Creating Makefile in src/support
Creating Makefile in src/regex
Creating Makefile in src/os/unix
Creating Makefile in src/ap
Creating Makefile in src/main
Creating Makefile in src/lib/expat-lite
Creating Makefile in src/modules/standard
[root@linuxbackup apache_1.3.14]# make
[root@linuxbackup apache_1.3.14]# cd src
[root@linuxbackup src]# ls
Apache.dsp      ApacheCoreOS2.def    Configuration.tmpl  Makefile.tmpl  buildmark.c  libhttpd.ep   modules.o
Apache.dsw      ApacheNW.mcp.gz      Configure           PORTING        buildmark.o  libhttpd.so   os
Apache.mak      BUILD.NOTES          INSTALL             README         helpers      main          regex
ApacheCore.def  CHANGES              InstallBin.dsp      README.EBCDIC  httpd        makefile.win  support
ApacheCore.dsp  Configuration        Makefile            ap             include      modules
ApacheCore.mak  Configuration.apaci  Makefile.config     apaci          lib          modules.c
[root@linuxbackup src]#

<moving libhttpd.so, libhttpd.ep and httpd to proper locations>

[root@linuxbackup src]# /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -l
Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_env.c
  mod_log_config.c
  mod_mime.c
  mod_negotiation.c
  mod_status.c
  mod_include.c
  mod_autoindex.c
  mod_dir.c
  mod_cgi.c
  mod_asis.c
  mod_imap.c
  mod_actions.c
  mod_userdir.c
  mod_alias.c
  mod_access.c
  mod_auth.c
  mod_setenvif.c
suexec: disabled; invalid wrapper /usr/local/apache/sbin/suexec
[root@linuxbackup src]#

(Cleanded up, rm'd apache directory, gunzipped from tarball fresh source)

[root@linuxbackup apache_1.3.14]# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE --enable-module=so
[root@linuxbackup apache_1.3.14]# make install

[root@linuxbackup apache_1.3.14]# cd src
[root@linuxbackup src]# ls
Apache.dsp      ApacheCoreOS2.def    Configuration.tmpl  Makefile.tmpl  buildmark.c  libhttpd.ep   modules.o
Apache.dsw      ApacheNW.mcp.gz      Configure           PORTING        buildmark.o  libhttpd.so   os
Apache.mak      BUILD.NOTES          INSTALL             README         helpers      main          regex
ApacheCore.def  CHANGES              InstallBin.dsp      README.EBCDIC  httpd        makefile.win  support
ApacheCore.dsp  Configuration        Makefile            ap             include      modules
ApacheCore.mak  Configuration.apaci  Makefile.config     apaci          lib          modules.c
[root@linuxbackup src]# ./httpd -l
Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_env.c
  mod_log_config.c
  mod_mime.c
  mod_negotiation.c
  mod_status.c
  mod_include.c
  mod_autoindex.c
  mod_dir.c
  mod_cgi.c
  mod_asis.c
  mod_imap.c
  mod_actions.c
  mod_userdir.c
  mod_alias.c
  mod_access.c
  mod_auth.c
  mod_so.c
  mod_setenvif.c
suexec: disabled; invalid wrapper /usr/local/apache/sbin/suexec
[root@linuxbackup src]# /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd
Syntax error on line 208 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
API module structure `vhost_alias_module' in file /etc/httpd/modules/mod_vhost_alias.so is garbled - perhaps this is not an
Apache module DSO?
[root@linuxbackup src]#
>How-To-Repeat:
I repeated this bug on 2 separate machines, with the same distribution and tarballs.
>Fix:
I'm sure there's a step that I'm missing here, and would appreciate more explicit
directions on your DSO documentation page, http://httpd.apache.org/docs/dso.html
 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]