Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jim Kalafut <ji...@kalafut.net> on 2003/11/15 18:49:37 UTC

SVN for Windows not connecting over network

I am trying to get Subversion 0.33 up and running and have hit a snag
when trying to connect to the server across my LAN.  I've installed/run
the server on a Linux box using the 'svnserve -d' command.  I've
confirmed that I can checkout the repository from that machine using
either file:// or svn://192.168.1.15 without problem.  I'm unable to do
the same from my Windows box, however, and immediately get the error:
"svn: No connection could be made because the target machine actively
refused it".  I've checked the Linux side and found that the daemon is
running and listening on port 3690, but a packet capture on the Windows
side shows NO traffic when I try to execute 'svn checkout
svn://192.168.1.15/.....'.  I do see some traffic back and forth with
svn+ssh://, but my SSH isn't really set up properly so I didn't expect
that to work.  There is no general connectivity problem, as I use Exceed
for everything and run CVS from Windows->Linux without problem.  I've
disable my Windows firewall but that doesn't seem to help.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

Re: SVN for Windows not connecting over network

Posted by mark benedetto king <mb...@lowlatency.com>.
On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 12:49:37PM -0600, Jim Kalafut wrote:
> I am trying to get Subversion 0.33 up and running and have hit a snag
> when trying to connect to the server across my LAN.  I've installed/run
> the server on a Linux box using the 'svnserve -d' command.  I've
> confirmed that I can checkout the repository from that machine using
> either file:// or svn://192.168.1.15 without problem.  I'm unable to do
> the same from my Windows box, however, and immediately get the error:
> "svn: No connection could be made because the target machine actively
> refused it".  I've checked the Linux side and found that the daemon is
> running and listening on port 3690, but a packet capture on the Windows
> side shows NO traffic when I try to execute 'svn checkout
> svn://192.168.1.15/.....'.  I do see some traffic back and forth with

It's likely that your packet capture strategy is flawed, then;
"actively refused" would require traffic, wouldn't it?

--ben

Re: SVN for Windows not connecting over network

Posted by Mike Mason <mg...@thoughtworks.net>.
Jim Kalafut wrote:

> I am trying to get Subversion 0.33 up and running and have hit a snag
> when trying to connect to the server across my LAN.  I've
> installed/run the server on a Linux box using the 'svnserve -d'
> command.  I've confirmed that I can checkout the repository from that
> machine using either file:// or svn://192.168.1.15 without problem.
> I'm unable to do the same from my Windows box, however, and
> immediately get the error:  "svn: No connection could be made because
> the target machine actively refused it".  I've checked the Linux side
> and found that the daemon is running and listening on port 3690, but a
> packet capture on the Windows side shows NO traffic when I try to
> execute 'svn checkout svn://192.168.1.15/.....'.  I do see some
> traffic back and forth with svn+ssh://, but my SSH isn't really set up
> properly so I didn't expect that to work.  There is no general
> connectivity problem, as I use Exceed for everything and run CVS from
> Windows->Linux without problem.  I've disable my Windows firewall but
> that doesn't seem to help.

Sounds like there's a firewall on the Linux box. Using
svn://192.168.1.15 from the Linux box won't mean that it'll work from
another machine. You need to configure the Linux box's firewall to
accept traffic on TCP port 3690.

Cheers,
Mike.