Posted to general@xml.apache.org by ru...@us.ibm.com on 2000/07/11 12:51:17 UTC

[XRI] Xerces Refactoring Initiative

1) Where should the design discussion take place?

2) Where should the design artifacts be placed?  When will they get there?

3) Where should the code be developed?

- Sam Ruby

Re: [XRI] Xerces Refactoring Initiative

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
"N. Sean Timm" wrote:

> From: <ru...@us.ibm.com>
> > 1) Where should the design discussion take place?
> xerces-j-dev list.  Any particular subject may peak the interest of someone
> who isn't involved with the proposal development to bring more ideas into
> the picture and/or further collaboration efforts between Xerces and those
> working on the proposed replacement.

+1

> > 2) Where should the design artifacts be placed?  When will they get there?
> xml-xerces/java/proposals/[codename]/docs

what's wrong with CVS branches, damn it? can you type "-r xerces2"?

We are doing Cocoon1 on the main trunch and Cocoon2 on a branch.
Everybody is happy with that, why should you differ?

> > 3) Where should the code be developed?
> xml-xerces/java/proposals/[codename]/src
> >

> If James is satisfied that the Xerces teams goals are aligned with what he
> is trying to accomplish (or close, at least), then "spinnaker" is as good a
> codename as any, but I definitely *don't* think it should be called Xerces2
> or anything like that.  Let that be decided based on its merits.

Ok, I agree with all this "anti xerces2" points.

Here is the virtual PR:

"The Apache XML community started a "refactoring initiative" to create
next generation XML parser for Java. This will be known as "codename
Spinnaker" (or simply spinnaker) and will be the collective design
whiteboard where the worldwide Apache community of individuals will
openly develop such new XML parser. The final result of this RI will be
determined when "final" status is reached and, as always, decided by the
community."

Is everybody happy with this?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

RE: [XRI] Xerces Refactoring Initiative

Posted by Ed Staub <es...@mediaone.net>.
Sean T. wrote:
>If James is satisfied that the Xerces teams goals are aligned with what he
>is trying to accomplish (or close, at least), then "spinnaker" is as good a
>codename as any, but I definitely *don't* think it should be called Xerces2
>or anything like that.  Let that be decided based on its merits.

Here's another name to throw into the pot, which might be found more
connotatively correct than either Xerces 2 or Spinnaker:

	Xerces I had a son, named Artaxerces.

-Ed Staub

Re: [XRI] Xerces Refactoring Initiative

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com>.
on 7/11/00 4:22 AM, N. Sean Timm at stimm@mailgo.com wrote:

>> 1) Where should the design discussion take place?
> xerces-j-dev list.  Any particular subject may peak the interest of someone
> who isn't involved with the proposal development to bring more ideas into
> the picture and/or further collaboration efforts between Xerces and those
> working on the proposed replacement.
>>
>> 2) Where should the design artifacts be placed?  When will they get there?
> xml-xerces/java/proposals/[codename]/docs
>>
>> 3) Where should the code be developed?
> xml-xerces/java/proposals/[codename]/src

All sounds good to me.. :)

> If James is satisfied that the Xerces teams goals are aligned with what he
> is trying to accomplish (or close, at least), then "spinnaker" is as good a
> codename as any, but I definitely *don't* think it should be called Xerces2
> or anything like that.  Let that be decided based on its merits.

Most everyone who has started talking about goals has said things that are
very much aligned with the initial goals that were listed. So, yes, I'm
satisfied that we can sit down and complete the list of goals.

Spinnaker is as good a name as any, but then I'm biased... :) XRI is fine as
well. I'm not partial to a name that I dreamed up a few hours before I made
a post (and I've named too many things already in my life, like Tomcat and
Ant and Watchdog, to need the credit for naming it. Some of them I wish
hadn't stuck.. I won't say what those are.. :). The only reason I'd argue
for it over something like XRI is that the name Spinnaker has already been
picked up by XMLhack and lots of other people everywhere, including lots of
people inside organizations that are curious to see how this is going to
turn out. By keeping it Spinnaker, we don't confuse those folks. Other than
that, I'm not partial to any name -- just negative on any name that has a
numeric value in it.

.duncan

Re: [XRI] Xerces Refactoring Initiative

Posted by "N. Sean Timm" <st...@mailgo.com>.
From: <ru...@us.ibm.com>
> 1) Where should the design discussion take place?
xerces-j-dev list.  Any particular subject may peak the interest of someone
who isn't involved with the proposal development to bring more ideas into
the picture and/or further collaboration efforts between Xerces and those
working on the proposed replacement.

> 2) Where should the design artifacts be placed?  When will they get there?
xml-xerces/java/proposals/[codename]/docs

> 3) Where should the code be developed?
xml-xerces/java/proposals/[codename]/src

If James is satisfied that the Xerces teams goals are aligned with what he
is trying to accomplish (or close, at least), then "spinnaker" is as good a
codename as any, but I definitely *don't* think it should be called Xerces2
or anything like that.  Let that be decided based on its merits.

Just my personal opinions, of course...

- Sean T.