Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> on 2005/08/25 21:56:50 UTC

[Axis2] Eclipse for Java-XML tool [was Better Java-XML mapping]

Dan Diephouse wrote:

> Also, the more I think about it the more I want it tightly integrated
> with my IDE. As I mentioned before we can integrate refactoring. You
> could have the IDE warn you if you were creating an incompatabile
> schema change (by adding/renaming/removing a field). You could then
> say "create a new schema version" or "screw backward compatability" or
> if possible "update my mapping appropriately."
>
> - Dan

Replying to my own message...

What do people think of using Eclipse for this tool? They obviously have
a great plugin architecture. Also there is a good amount of code in the
Web Tools Platform Project (http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/) that could
probably be reused.

Would there be a way to tightly integrate this into an IDE and have it
work in both IDEA & Eclipse? Or should this be standalone?

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions LLC

Re: [Axis2] Eclipse for Java-XML tool [was Better Java-XML mapping]

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
Another +1 for Eclipse.

There's a related Eclipse issue I'm trying to find out about -
optionally adding debug information *for the binding* to class files
that have been modified by JiBX (in other words, line numbers and source
file reference for the binding definition rather than the usual Java
source file). I'm curious whether the Eclipse debugger architecture is
flexible enough to allow stepping through the binding during debugging.
I think it'd really blow some minds open if this could be done, and tie
in really well as a way of linking items in the XML output back to the
binding definition.

Right now there's a minimally functional Eclipse plugin for JiBX, but
it's contributed code I haven't looked into. I started writing my own
version of a plugin a long time ago before getting sidetracked.

  - Dennis

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 8/25/05, Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> wrote:
> I'm not that experienced with eclipse plugins, but I think theoretically
> we should be able to do a standalone version and a plugin version if it
> is developed as an eclipse plugin. The standalone version just wouldn't
> get the refactoring capabilities.

that's what i'd hope :)

> Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>
> >+1 for at least eclipse. folks want to do IDEA, thats fine too.

+1

> don't think we need a standalone ui (done it before, not worth the effort :)

a basic standalone version would be useful. would want to be able to
get stuff up for people to play with quickly (i find it hard to think
about gui's in the abstract) and that'd be easier initially with a
standalone.

- robert

Re: [Axis2] Eclipse for Java-XML tool [was Better Java-XML mapping]

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 8/26/05, Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>  I'm not a hardcore Eclipse guy but I've done some Eclipse work (including
> the Axis2 ones :)) and have some knowledge of how Eclipse works. when
> Eclipse GUI' s are needed (Lets say an editor winow) it has to implement an
> Eclipse specific interface. because of this it is not really possible to
> share it as a plugin and a standalone as-is!.
>  My approach to both the Axis2 plugin's was to have a 'core' which
> implements the basic function of the tool. The eclipse version have the UI's
> implemented in the Eclipse specific way and the swing vesrion has the UI
> implemented in it's own way. All of them call the core functions to do the
> work.
>  My guess is we should be taking a similar approach if we are to ship
> different UI versions of the same tool.

thanks for the information :)

i wondered whether it might be possible to ship a standalone version
based on the eclipse platform just packaged as an application rather
than a plugin but maybe swing would have some other advantages for
myself. i don't really know anything about the eclipse internals and
i'd need to learn that. i'd be much quicker hacking a prototype
together in swing (which i know well).

i'd be interested in learning what people think of the applet examples
as a way of developing a design ideas. one approach would be for me to
develop more complex swing examples of the ideas.

>  BTW I'm really interested in this tool Idea. As I mentioned in one of my
> earlier mails it's an area we have to make  improvements :)

cool :)

hopefully we might be able to find some gui gurus who fancy taking on
this fertile ground...

- robert

Re: [Axis2] Eclipse for Java-XML tool [was Better Java-XML mapping]

Posted by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan,

--
Ajith Ranabahu

Re: [Axis2] Eclipse for Java-XML tool [was Better Java-XML mapping]

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Davanum Srinivas : http://wso2.com/ - Oxygenating The Web Service Platform