Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kathryn Kleinschafer <ka...@rheel.co.nz> on 2008/05/14 06:06:08 UTC

How to output Debugged Lint to file

Hi all,

My installation of spamassassin seems to have stopped using all the
rules I have added when checking email. They now reside in
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.002002

I'm trying to run spamassassin -D --lint and output it to say test.txt
so that I can see it all later and try and trouble shoot why its not
using the rules.

Can anyone tell me how I can do this or if there is a better way to
check why they are not working.

I think they are not working because I am testing a piece of spam that
came through that usually would have been stopped. It is only hitting on
bayes (low) and a couple of other rules which I think are spamassassin
default rules.
I would expect it to hit on at least the sought_rules

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Kate

Re: How to output Debugged Lint to file

Posted by Kathryn Kleinschafer <ka...@rheel.co.nz>.
I am running it by going:

sudo -u postfix spamassassin -p
/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf -t < messagename.mai

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Kathryn Kleinschafer <ka...@rheel.co.nz>.
[quote]
Does it actually read the files in the update channel dirs? Something
like this, below the point where the debugging output has been snipped.
[/quote]

Yes I think it does - the relevant output is below.

[5153] dbg: config: fixed relative path:
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.002002/sought_rules_yerp_org/20_sought.cf
[5153] dbg: config: using
"/var/lib/spamassassin/3.002002/sought_rules_yerp_org/20_sought.cf" for
included file
[5153] dbg: config: read file

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.

Posted by Kathryn Kleinschafer <ka...@rheel.co.nz>.

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Thu, 15 May 2008, Kathryn Kleinschafer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Pastebin for email: http://pastebin.ca/1018368
> Pastebin for spam check results: http://pastebin.ca/1018373
>
> Thanks
> Kate
>
> Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 16:25 +1200, Kathryn Kleinschafer wrote:
> >
> >> which seems to me that it is actually loading up the correct files - yet
> >> when i do a test on a piece of mail which should hit heaps of rules
> >> especially the sought_rules it is not hitting at all.
> >> Are there any other tests I can do?

Feeding your example spam thru our SA hit lots of rules, including
3 different hits from JM_SOUGHT_* (JM_SOUGHT_1, JM_SOUGHT_2, JM_SOUGHT_3).

Is there any way that you can get your mail system to keep internal
copies of the queue-files (or how ever your messages are fed to SA)
so you can see what is actually being checked?

Also look to see what User-ID your SA filtering process runs as
and then check to see if there are some parts of your SA setup or
your Perl installation that aren't properly readable/usable by that
User-ID.
(for example, if an update was done as 'root' with a umask of 077
then the installed rules/updates would not be useable by anybody
else).
Shell search paths might be another reason for differences between
manual tests and automatic processing scores.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: How to output Debugged Lint to file

Posted by Kathryn Kleinschafer <ka...@rheel.co.nz>.
Is it possible that this --allowplugins was somehow disrupting the
sa-update as now that I have removed it my rules are being used again
(which may mean that they are back up to day?)

Kate

Posted by Kathryn Kleinschafer <ka...@rheel.co.nz>.
Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 09:57:49AM +1200, Kathryn Kleinschafer wrote:
>
>>> Any reason for the non-default --allowplugins?
>>>

>> One of the channels - Open Protect required it
>> "If you use SA versions 3.2.0 or above, use the following command:
>> *sa-update --allowplugins --gpgkey
>> D1C035168C1EBC08464946DA258CDB3ABDE9DC10 --channel
>> saupdates.openprotect.com*, "
>>

> That doesn't mean they require it, that just means they told you to use it.
> It also means you open yourself up to possible security attacks, which is why
> it's disabled by default.
>
> I'm not saying it's bad if you trust the channel to not screw you, but ...

Hmmm when you put it like that i might take that bit out. thanks

Re: How to output Debugged Lint to file

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"Where's Roxanne?  Not here today...  She might have a lab... Those poor

Re: How to output Debugged Lint to file

Posted by Kathryn Kleinschafer <ka...@rheel.co.nz>.
Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 10:01 +1200, Kathryn Kleinschafer wrote:
>
>> I run sa-update from the crontab daily which I believe should update the
>> rules. (i'm relatively new to this so could have it completely wrong)
>> The command I use in crontab is
>>
>> 00 01 * * * sa-update --allowplugins --channelfile
>>

> Any reason for the non-default --allowplugins?

One of the channels - Open Protect required it
"If you use SA versions 3.2.0 or above, use the following command:
*sa-update --allowplugins --gpgkey
D1C035168C1EBC08464946DA258CDB3ABDE9DC10 --channel
saupdates.openprotect.com*, "

>> /etc/mail/spamassassin/update-channels.txt --gpgkeyfile
>> /etc/mail/spamassassin/gpgkeys.txt
>> and in the update-channels.txt I have
>> sought.rules.yerp.org
>> saupdates.openprotect.com
>> updates.spamassassin.org
>>

> You do have all GPG keys in gpgkeys.txt, do you?

Yes - do they need to be in any specific order?
update channels file
sought.rules.yerp.org
saupdates.openprotect.com
updates.spamassassin.org