Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Ivan Bessonov <be...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/28 12:32:23 UTC

MetaStorage key length limitations and Cache Metrics configuration

Hello Igniters,

we have an issue in master branch and in the upcoming 2.8 release that
related to new metrics functionality implemented in [1]. You can't use new
"configureHistogramMetric" and "configureHitRateMetric" configuration
methods on caches with long names. My estimation shows that cache with 30
characters in its name will shut down your whole cluster with failure
handler if
you try to change metrics configuration for it using one of those methods.

Initially we wanted to merge [2] to show a valid error message instead of
failing
the cluster, but it wasn't in plans for 2.8 because we didn't know that it
clashes
with [1].

I created issue [3] with plans of removing MetaStorage key length
limitations, but
it requires some thoughtful MetaStorageTree reworkings. I mean that it
can't be
done in only a few days.

What do you think? Does this issue affect 2.8 release? AFAIK new metrics are
experimental and they can have some known issues. Feel free to ask me for
more
details if it's needed.

Sincerely yours,
Ivan Bessonov

Re: MetaStorage key length limitations and Cache Metrics configuration

Posted by Sergey Chugunov <se...@gmail.com>.
Ivan,

I also don't think this issue is a blocker for 2.8 as it affects only
experimental functionality and only in special cases.

Removing key length limitations in MetaStorage seems more strategic
approach to me but depending on how we decide to approach it (as a local
fix or as part of a broader improvement of MetaStorage internal
implementation) we may target it to 2.8.1 or 2.9.

In the latter case it makes sense to implement key length validation [1]
and include it to 2.8.1 to prevent user from making destructive actions.
Otherwise if we decide to implement [2] earlier and remove this pesky
limitation in 2.8.1 then I'm fine with closing [1] with "Won't fix"
resolution.

Does it make sense to you?

Posted by Maxim Muzafarov <mm...@apache.org>.
Ivan,