Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by George Geo <ge...@yahoo.com> on 2001/08/30 20:56:50 UTC

cocoon error

Please let me know why I am getting this error:

Thank you very much.

Publishing Engine could not be initialized.

java.lang.RuntimeException: Exception when creating "
org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPProcessor" :
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: See
http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/faqs.html#faq-normalize
	at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Native
Method)
	at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Compiled Code)
http://im.yahoo.com

Re: cocoon error

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@managingpartners.com>.
At 11:56 AM 8/30/2001 -0700, you wrote:

>Publishing Engine could not be initialized.
>

>java.lang.RuntimeException: Exception when creating "
>org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPProcessor" :
>java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: See
>http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/faqs.html#faq-normalize
>         at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Native
>Method)
>         at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Compiled Code)
>---------------------------------------

If you bothered to goto the webpage indicated, you would read:

I get a java.lang.NoSuchMethodError when running XSP. What's wrong?

This happens because Cocoon needs a DOM Level 2 implementation and you
probably have a DOM Level 1 included in your classpath before xerces.jar.

So, place the xerces.jar archive that comes with Cocoon before all the
other jar packages in your classpath.

Some servlet engines, such as Tomcat, construct a CLASSPATH automatically
based on all the jar files in a lib directory. In this case, you may need
to rename the jar file containing the DOM Level 1 (xml.jar or parser.jar)
to something like zzz.jar to force it to come last, or even move it out of
the lib directory altogether.

If even that doesn't work, also check that there is no XML parser in your
JDK's lib/ext or jre/lib/ext directories. If there is, remove it.

  Unfortunately, some servlet engines require DOM Level 1 to be ahead of
DOM Level 2 in the CLASSPATH - conflicting with Cocoon! There is no known
workaround for this problem (but see the next question) - please let us
know at cocoon-users@xml.apache.org if you find one.

-pete

managing partners, inc. -> http://www.managingpartners.com