Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2010/12/01 21:09:26 UTC

Board Report Draft

Is in https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/board-reports/2010/board-report-dec.txt

Comments and additions welcome.  In particular, I need reports from PyLucene and Lucene.NET.

-Grant

RE: Board Report Draft

Posted by "Granroth, Neal V." <ne...@thermofisher.com>.
I'd recommend using the description from the web-site.

-------------------

Lucene.Net is a source code, class-per-class, API-per-API and algorithmatic port of the Java Lucene search engine to the C# and .NET platform utilizing Microsoft .NET Framework.

Lucene.Net sticks to the APIs and classes used in the original Java implementation of Lucene. The API names as well as class names are preserved with the intention of giving Lucene.Net the look and feel of the C# language and the .NET Framework. For example, the method Hits.length() in the Java implementation now reads Hits.Length() in the C# port.

In addition to the APIs and classes port to C#, the algorithm of Java Lucene is ported to C# Lucene. This means an index created with Java Lucene is back-and-forth compatible with the C# Lucene; both at reading, writing and updating. In fact a Lucene index can be concurrently searched and updated using Java Lucene and C# Lucene processes.

-------------------

Status as I see it:

- Web site update in-progress.
- New releases are currently hampered by porting tool obsolescence and Lucene's use of Java 1.5; evaluation of alternative tools is in-progress.
- Release of version 2.9.2 is on hold, awaiting construction of a release package and PMC approval.
- Concern about the goals and direction of the project has led to the creation of an alternative project outside ASF that intends to be a conceptual rather than a source code port.  More Microsoft-tool-centric at the expense of reliability and cross-platform compatibility.  Most of the interest in Lucene.Net appears to have migrated to that project.

- Neal

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Good catches.   I'll make the changes.

Re: Board Report Draft

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Board Report Draft

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> Is in https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/board-reports/2010/board-report-dec.txt
>
> Comments and additions welcome.  In particular, I need reports from
> PyLucene and Lucene.NET.

PyLucene edit done.

Andi..