Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl> on 2006/05/01 16:30:37 UTC

UserAdmin, ConfigAdmin, Preferences and back-end stores

A while ago Enrique already announced directory backed Preferences and
ConfigAdmin implementations, and recently I discussed with him a similar
UserAdmin implementation.

These three services all have in common that they need some back-end to
actually persist data.

I hope that within Felix we can create implementations of these services
that have pluggable back-ends. We might even be able to create some kind
of common persistence service that can be used by all of them.

Would others be interested in this (using it and/or helping develop it)?

I'm offering my help to get these implementations working. Enrique, I
know you have some R3 code in your ApacheDS sandbox, perhaps that would
be a nice starting point. Browsing through the archives I saw that
Michel also had a lightweight Preferences service.

Greetings, Marcel

Re: building felix from maven

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
> I've been trying last few days also without success

Me too

> I'm sure maven has many good qualities and is a good model for shared
> artefacts across many projects as Apache needs, but it isn't worth a
> bean if people can't do a simple checkout and build easily

Not to mention the fact that it (almost) takes forever to do a simple
build; only to spill out about a million lines of useless messages (at
least for me). The only real nice thing is the eclipse:eclipse
thingy...

> Give me Ant anyday frankly - maybe it's a little cumbersome to do fancy
> stuff, but it's easy and it works.

I was wondering whether it is possible (and hopefully easy too) to get
a plugin that enables something like the eclipse:eclipse feature but
in regard to ant?

i.e., mvn ant:ant -> build.xml

> I had 2 days set aside to do some HttpService work and they've gone now
> - the maven problems totally stopped me using them usefully.
>
> Not a fan .... -100
>
> -- Rob

Given that i used to build all of Oscar plus my bundles with a single
command and it still was a lot faster then doing a mvn clean install
for a specific bundle - I agree, Not a fan.

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: building felix from maven

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Yes, this is the issue. I don't know what is going with the
repositories...it is definitely a pain. I think we need to look into
setting up our own mirror repository so that we can avoid these types of
situations in the future.

After the initial build you are able to do "mvn -o clean install" to get
maven to work in offline mode, which is very useful. I think we need to
find the best way for us to use maven, so perhaps setting up a mirror
repository of everything we need is the first step.

Hopefully, those with more maven experience than myself can step up and
offer more suggestions too.

-> richard

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com>.
Sorry - no - maven is all new to me, first project where I've
encountered it.

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> The only problems that might arise can come from SNAPSHOT artifacts as
> Maven checks for updates regularily and this might light to instabilities.

light --> lead

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: building felix from maven

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
stephane.frenot@insa-lyon.fr wrote:
> Do you have an idea on how to cache jars locally ?

Maven automatically creates a local repository
([user-home-directory]/.m2/repository) and uses all artifacts from there. The
problem is the first build as it requires Maven to download the artifact from
some public repo.

After a M2 project builds correctly the first time and there are no changes to
any dependencies, all subsequent builds will run through.

The only problems that might arise can come from SNAPSHOT artifacts as Maven
checks for updates regularily and this might light to instabilities.
If you want to force Maven not to check for updates and want to make sure that
only artifacts from your local repo are taken without any updates, use the "-o"
command line parameter when you run "mvn".

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: building felix from maven

Posted by "John E. Conlon" <jc...@verticon.com>.
On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 13:21 +0200, stephane.frenot@insa-lyon.fr wrote:
> Do you have an idea on how to cache jars locally ?
If you have a thirdparty jar or one that is stored in an external
repository but maven can't get to that repo. (for whatever reason)

Use the command:
mvn install:install-file -Dfile=<path-to-file> -DgroupId=<group-id> \
    -DartifactId=<artifact-id> -Dversion=<version> -Dpackaging=<packaging>

(for details see
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-installing-3rd-party-jars.html
)

Posted by st...@insa-lyon.fr.

--
Stephane Frenot - Associate professor |
CITI/INRIA Ares - INSA lyon           | mailto:stephane.frenot@insa-lyon.fr

Re: building felix from maven

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com>.

Posted by Bram de Kruijff <br...@gx.nl>.

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com>.

Posted by Dale Peakall <da...@peakall.com>.
Rob Walker wrote:
> Sorry guys, I'm still unable to build - get the same error on this doxia
> jar:
>
>    Downloading:
>    http://cvs.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/org/apache/maven/do
>    xia/doxia/1.0-alpha-8/doxia-1.0-alpha-8.pom
>    [WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository apache.snapshots
>    (http://cvs.ap
>    ache.org/maven-snapshot-repository)
>    Downloading:
>    http://ftp.ggi-project.org/pub/packages/maven2/org/apache/maven/dox
>    ia/doxia/1.0-alpha-8/doxia-1.0-alpha-8.pom
>    [INFO]
>    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>    [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
>    [INFO]
>    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>    [INFO] Error building POM (may not be this project's POM).
>

>    Project ID: null:doxia-site-renderer:jar:1.0-alpha-8
>
>    Reason: Cannot find parent: org.apache.maven.doxia:doxia for
>    project: null:doxia
>    -site-renderer:jar:1.0-alpha-8

You may need to remove the org/apache/maven/doxia/doxia directory from
your local repository (~/.m2/repository).

Re: building felix from maven

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com>.
Sorry guys, I'm still unable to build - get the same error on this doxia
jar:

    Downloading:
    http://cvs.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/org/apache/maven/do
    xia/doxia/1.0-alpha-8/doxia-1.0-alpha-8.pom
    [WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository apache.snapshots
    (http://cvs.ap
    ache.org/maven-snapshot-repository)
    Downloading:
    http://ftp.ggi-project.org/pub/packages/maven2/org/apache/maven/dox
    ia/doxia/1.0-alpha-8/doxia-1.0-alpha-8.pom
    [INFO]
    [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
    [INFO]

    Project ID: null:doxia-site-renderer:jar:1.0-alpha-8

    Reason: Cannot find parent: org.apache.maven.doxia:doxia for
    project: null:doxia
    -site-renderer:jar:1.0-alpha-8

I'm about a week in here since I first tried a build and have still so
far been unable to do a first build from Felix. With Oscar, it was
minutes to get my first build to the stage where I could start working
on code.

Still -100 on Maven for me I'm afraid - I can assure everyone in the
community, that such a fundamental problem as this is going to seriously
deter or hamper volunteers from contributing. Frustrating personally,
but also potentially harmful to the project.

Regards

-- Rob

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.
A number of projects I'm on, including Felix, have been clean
check-out and building for 24 hrs. now, without any add-on central
mirrors.  It's too bad that these infrastructure issues have set us
all back a few days.  But, ASF and Codehaus infra have been stable for
much of recent memory, at least for the last 6 months when I started
working more with M2 on a regular basis.  On a positive note, I did
get a lot more "day-job" work done this week!

Enrique

On 5/18/06, Rinku <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Stephane,
>
> The Codehaus servers (and website) are currently down due to file system
> corruption (as I gather from IRC). I think that is probably quite a few
> people are experiencing build issues.
>
> You might want to define a mirror for 'codehaus' in your settings.xml
> and give it a try.
>
>  From what I understand, the website will still take a couple of days
> before it is back up again.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rahul
>

> stephane.frenot@insa-lyon.fr wrote:
> > Hello the list,
> > is it me, or it is not currently possible to build felix from maven ?
> >
> > It seems that the acces to codehaus repository is forbidden.
> >
> > Any clue ?
> > I tried the mirror trick but it stop some lines later...
> >
> > /stephane

Re: building felix from maven

Posted by st...@insa-lyon.fr.
Humm,
It works until maven tries to find (among other files of the same version)
plexus/plexus-compiler-manager/1.6-SNAPSHOT/plexus-compiler-manager-1.6-SNAPSHOT.jar

-> This version is not present on the net (google -> plexus-compiler-manager-1.6-SNAPSHOT.jar)
-> Only version 1.5.2 can be found

=========================

So I have modified <HOME>/.m2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/2.0.2-SNAPSHOT/maven-compiler-plugin-2.0.2-SNAPSHOT.pom, and substitute 1.6-SNAPSHOT by 1.5.2

Then remove
  <HOME>/.m2/repository/org/codehaus/plexus/plexus-compiler-javac/
  <HOME>/.m2/repository/org/codehaus/plexus/plexus-compiler-manager/

It works...
Humm I mean I have a BUILD SUCESSFUL

/stephane

Posted by Rinku <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stephane,

The Codehaus servers (and website) are currently down due to file system
corruption (as I gather from IRC). I think that is probably quite a few
people are experiencing build issues.

You might want to define a mirror for 'codehaus' in your settings.xml
and give it a try.

 From what I understand, the website will still take a couple of days
before it is back up again.

Regards,

Rahul

stephane.frenot@insa-lyon.fr wrote:
> Hello the list,
> is it me, or it is not currently possible to build felix from maven ?
>
> It seems that the acces to codehaus repository is forbidden.
>
> Any clue ?
> I tried the mirror trick but it stop some lines later...
>
> /stephane

building felix from maven

Posted by st...@insa-lyon.fr.

Re: UserAdmin, ConfigAdmin, Preferences and back-end stores

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.
Marcel Offermans wrote:
> Enrique Rodriguez wrote:
>> Yes, we had talked with Michel about having store options for Prefs,
>> namely JNDI-backed and file-based.  ApacheDS is admittedly overkill
>> for most scenarios.
>
> Given the broad area of application of OSGi I think there is a
> considerable interest in at least some type of "centralized" storage.

Interesting.  We will certainly continue to support LDAP-backed stores.

>> The R3 code in Directory is sitting in my sandbox.  Just got to get
>> around to moving it over, updating to R4 and M2.
>
> Perhaps we can start by creating a sandbox in Felix to move all this
> code to, and from there on try to work together to design an interface.

Yes, we can start setting up as soon as we have repo access back.

>> Regarding the use of JNDI as the store interface I don't recommend it,
>> as it won't be a simple CRUD interface for file or other database
>> stores.  In fact, in my work with JNDI, such as the R3 services at
>> Directory, I still provide an additional "store" layer that
>> encapsulates the JNDI code.  This is no different than the JDBC-DAO
>> relationship.
>
> Do you already have a proposal for such a simple CRUD interface? If so
> we can take that as a starting point.

Here's what I'm currently using, below.  Note that the
ConfigurationListener is *NOT* the R4 ConfigurationListener.  With our
JNDI-store you manage configuration with the LDAP-protocol so our CM
service needs a way to know about changes to configuration in the
directory (DIT).  With JNDI's EventDirContext, changes to the DIT
generate an event which the CM listens for to trigger re-reads and
subsequent dispatching of possibly updated configuration.

public interface ConfigurationStore
{
     public String getNewPid( String factoryPid ) throws IOException;

     public Configuration getNewConfiguration( String bundleLocation,
String factoryPid, String servicePid );

     public Configuration getNewConfiguration( String bundleLocation,
String factoryPid, String servicePid,
         ConfigurationDictionary properties );

     public List listPids();

     public List listConfigurations( String filter ) throws IOException,
InvalidSyntaxException;

     public ConfigurationDictionary load( String pid ) throws IOException;

     public List loadAll( String factoryPid ) throws IOException;

     public void store( String pid, String factoryPid, Dictionary
configuration ) throws IOException;

     public ConfigurationDictionary delete( String pid ) throws IOException;

     public void deleteAll( String factoryPid ) throws IOException;

     public void setConfigurationListener( ConfigurationListener
configurationListener );
}

Enrique

Re: UserAdmin, ConfigAdmin, Preferences and back-end stores

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
Enrique Rodriguez wrote:

> Marcel Offermans wrote:
>
>> I hope that within Felix we can create implementations of these
>> services that have pluggable back-ends. We might even be able to
>> create some kind of common persistence service that can be used by
>> all of them.
>>
>> Would others be interested in this (using it and/or helping develop it)?
>

> Oh, yeah, I am all for this.  In fact, this was a key point in the
> original Felix proposal:
>
> "... to develop interfaces, APIs, and other common needs not fully
> specified by the OSGi R4 specification, such as store interfaces ..."

Ok. The first step we should take is to try to design a store interface...

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John E. Conlon" <jc...@verticon.com>.
IMHO the ApacheDS project already provides the plugable infrastructure
your talking about.  It uses JNDI as the API to plug-in the various
storage implementations and to plug in the various protocols as well.

John

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.