Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Matthew Langham <ml...@s-und-n.de> on 2003/05/06 20:40:45 UTC

[Announcement] Cocoon Portal - moving forward

As many of you know, the portal and authentication components in Cocoon were
originally developed by S&N as part of a commercial offering, based on
Cocoon. After being used in several projects, the components were donated to
the Cocoon project at the beginning of 2002. Since then the Cocoon portal
has gained wide interest and has been (is being) used in a variety of
different projects around the globe.

Since donating the components we have been evaluating the shortcomings of
the current solution and deciding how a "next" version of the portal should
look. In particular we felt that a Cocoon based portal is something that -
if done right - would certainly gain more attention for the project, perhaps
beat out some alternatives (including commercial ones) and basically, well,
rock.

One of the companies perhaps most familiar with the portal is BASF IT
Services who have been using the components in several internal projects and
who, last year, approached us about building a new and better version. So,
in a joint effort S&N and BASF IT Services started work on a new version
aimed at launching the portal concept in Cocoon to the next stage.

The first stage of this development is now complete and in particular we
focussed on providing a very dynamic rendering engine for portal-type
layouts. Now this is the first important statement to make: The new
rendering engine does not require you build an actual portal - so it can be
used in a variety of applications. Here are some of the key improvements:

- Flexible Layout (Tabs, Multi-Column Coplets etc.)
- Event Handling (Inter Coplet Communication)
- Highly Pluggable
- Increased Performance

The attached small screen shot shows what the new rendering engine will
allow you to do. The new portal is not yet complete and in fact it is
currently lacking many of the features of the old portal. But, to paraphrase
Stefano, it already has a community.

So, tomorrow (Wednesday) we will be donating the current implementation to
Cocoon and hope our seed will quickly grow.

Regards

Matthew, Carsten, Björn, Volker, Jürgen

S&N, BASF IT Services

URL encoding

Posted by Ralph Goers <rg...@dslextreme.com>.
I am creating a link that ends up looking like:

When it comes into cocoon it is screwed up.

This gets created in my stylesheet as something like:

ACCTID contains 2^1^%NJ%

How can I properly encode this in the stylesheet?

RE: [Announcement] Cocoon Portal - moving forward

Posted by Jakob Praher <jp...@yahoo.de>.
Am Die, 2003-05-06 um 20.50 schrieb Matthew Langham:
> Sorry, I just noticed how large the screenshot actually was.

looks promising.

looking forward to cheking it out ;-)

RE: SQLTransformer?

Posted by Askild Aaberg Olsen <as...@xangeli.com>.
John Bresnik wrote:
> Is anyone using this to query an SQL DB? I am having a few problems
getting it to work - thanks.

Have you read http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=MsSQL ?

I set up the SQLTransformer with MS SQL by following this How-To, and I'm
still using it.

Askild Aaberg Olsen

Re: AW: SQLTransformer?

Posted by John Bresnik <jb...@auditintegrity.com>.
Yea the <jdbc> tag is there. I tried replacing the JARs / reading the doc
but still haven't had any luck in getting it to work. any other ideas?
thanks

Posted by e nio <en...@yahoo.com>.

AW: SQLTransformer?

SQLTransformer?

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Wed, 7 May 2003, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> ...I just checked-in the new version or to be more precise the starting
> code of the new version...

Thanks!
  And also many thanks to your customers who agreed to support this
donation, it's great to see that some companies are "getting it" !

-Bertrand

RE: [Announcement] Cocoon Portal - moving forward

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Stephan Michels wrote:

> > No, the basic idea is that the portal generator spits out the
> > portal without the surrounding tags required for html (or
> > any other format). So, you can - in theory - aggregate
> > two or more portals in one page.
> > This is a contract between the portal generator and the pipeline,
> > the person building the portal has decided that the portal generator
> > does not produce the html tag and uses the htmlroottransformer
> > instead. You can - of course - do this differently.
>
> With my understanding the ProtalGenerator is an configurable
> 'Aggregator', which transforms the content partially by
> other components(stylesheets) for 'row', 'column', 'tab' etc.

Yes.

> The problem, I see, if I aggregate two or more documents, I need
> a new root element, but I should first look deeper in the output
> of the generator.
>
> Another question, do you support form handling in the generator, means
> if you have different forms and 'flows' within the coplets, do you
> delegate the requests correctly.

Not yet :) but this is something that will be implemented very soon.

Carsten

RE: [Announcement] Cocoon Portal - moving forward

Posted by Stephan Michels <st...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 7 May 2003, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Stephan Michels wrote:
> >
> > > Ok, it's fixed now - it has something do to with the inner classes
> > > formerly used in the DefaultEventManager - I removed the use of
> > > inner classes and now it works.
> > > Hmm, a little bit strange for me.
> >
> > Okay, works, thank you.
> >
> > One question, how does the PortalGenerator get the file
> > profiles/layout/portal.xml using by one parameter?
> >
> > <map:generate type="portal" label="content">
> > <map:parameter name="portal-name" value="portal" />
> > </map:generate>
> >
> This is currently hard-coded. The path is built by
> "profiles/layout/{portal-name}.xml".

Okay.

> > Another question, the HTMLRootTransformer seems to produce
> > ensure that you doesn't have multiple root elements in the
> > content?
>
> No, the basic idea is that the portal generator spits out the
> portal without the surrounding tags required for html (or
> any other format). So, you can - in theory - aggregate
> two or more portals in one page.
> This is a contract between the portal generator and the pipeline,
> the person building the portal has decided that the portal generator
> does not produce the html tag and uses the htmlroottransformer
> instead. You can - of course - do this differently.

With my understanding the ProtalGenerator is an configurable
'Aggregator', which transforms the content partially by
other components(stylesheets) for 'row', 'column', 'tab' etc.

The problem, I see, if I aggregate two or more documents, I need
a new root element, but I should first look deeper in the output
of the generator.

Another question, do you support form handling in the generator, means
if you have different forms and 'flows' within the coplets, do you
delegate the requests correctly.

Thanks, Stephan.

RE: [Announcement] Cocoon Portal - moving forward

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by Stephan Michels <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Him

Posted by Stephan Michels <st...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 7 May 2003, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Hi Cocooners,
>
> I just checked-in the new version or to be more precise the starting
> code of the new version.
> So enjoy the sample :)
>
> But be warned: the version is not complete, some things have
> still to be developed. So if you have a free hand you're of course
> invited to join the further development :) it's open source!

Sounds interesting, but I got the following exception if try Cocoon
today:

stephan@verndeb:~/local/jetty-4.2.7/bin> ./jetty.sh run
Running Jetty:
10:48:54.603 EVENT  Statistics on = false for
org.mortbay.jetty.Server@14df86
10:48:54.639 EVENT  Starting Jetty/4.2.7
10:48:54.668 EVENT  Started org.mortbay.http.NCSARequestLog@301ed8
10:48:54.784 EVENT  Started WebApplicationContext[/,Root WebApp]
10:48:54.991 EVENT  Extract
jar:file:/usr/local/stephan/jetty-4.2.7/webapps/cocoon.war!/ to
/tmp/Jetty__8080__cocoon/webapp
10:49:07.273 EVENT  Started
WebApplicationContext[/cocoon,jar:file:/usr/local/stephan/jetty-4.2.7/webapps/cocoon.war!/]
server.properties not found, using command line or default properties
Opening database: /tmp/Jetty__8080__cocoon/webapp/WEB-INF/db/cocoondb
HSQLDB server 1.7.1 is running
Use SHUTDOWN to close normally. Use [Ctrl]+[C] to abort abruptly
Using getRealPath: /tmp/Jetty__8080__cocoon/webapp/WEB-INF
Wed May 07 10:49:11 CEST 2003 Listening for connections ...
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
	at
org.apache.cocoon.portal.event.impl.DefaultEventManager$DefaultRegister.subscribe(DefaultEventManager.java:182)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.portal.event.impl.DefaultEventManager.initialize(DefaultEventManager.java:149)
	at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil.java:282)
	at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory.newInstance(DefaultComponentFactory.java:323)
	at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ThreadSafeComponentHandler.initialize(ThreadSafeComponentHandler.java:141)
	at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager.lookup(ExcaliburComponentManager.java:308)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.CocoonComponentManager.lookup(CocoonComponentManager.java:288)
	at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory$ComponentManagerProxy.lookup(DefaultComponentFactory.java:437)
	at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory$ComponentManagerProxy.lookup(DefaultComponentFactory.java:437)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.portal.event.aspect.impl.FrameEventAspect.initialize(FrameEventAspect.java:190)
	at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil.java:282)
	at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory.newInstance(DefaultComponentFactory.java:323)
	at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ThreadSafeComponentHandler.initialize(ThreadSafeComponentHandler.java:141)
	at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector.addComponent(ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:732)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.ExtendedComponentSelector.configure(ExtendedComponentSelector.java:265)
	at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.configure(ContainerUtil.java:239)
	at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory.newInstance(DefaultComponentFactory.java:315)
	at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ThreadSafeComponentHandler.initialize(ThreadSafeComponentHandler.java:141)
	at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager.initialize(ExcaliburComponentManager.java:555)
	at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.initialize(Cocoon.java:329)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.createCocoon(CocoonServlet.java:1381)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.init(CocoonServlet.java:554)
	at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.start(ServletHolder.java:219)
	at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.initializeServlets(ServletHandler.java:426)
	at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler.initializeServlets(WebApplicationHandler.java:150)
	at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationContext.start(WebApplicationContext.java:490)
	at org.mortbay.http.HttpServer.start(HttpServer.java:646)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.main(Server.java:411)

Using Blackdown's Java 1.3.1.

RE: [Announcement] Cocoon Portal - moving forward

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Hi Cocooners,

I just checked-in the new version or to be more precise the starting
code of the new version.
So enjoy the sample :)

But be warned: the version is not complete, some things have
still to be developed. So if you have a free hand you're of course
invited to join the further development :) it's open source!

Carsten

Carsten Ziegeler
Open Source Group, S&N AG
http://radio.weblogs.com/0107211/