Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Panshul Whisper <ou...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/15 02:25:08 UTC

hadoop namenode recovery

Hello,

Is there a standard way to prevent the failure of Namenode crash in a
Hadoop cluster?
or what is the standard or best practice for overcoming the Single point
failure problem of Hadoop.

I am not ready to take chances on a production server with Hadoop 2.0 Alpha
release, which claims to have solved the problem. Are there any other
things I can do to either prevent the failure or recover from the failure
in a very short time.

Thanking You,

Ouch Whisper
010101010101

Re: hadoop namenode recovery

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Randy,

A very slow NFS is certainly troublesome, and slows down the write
performance for every edit waiting to get logged to disk (there's a
logSync_avg_time metric that could be monitored for this), and therefore a
dedicated NFS mount is required if you are unwilling to use the proper
HA-HDFS setup.

If the write fails (due to NFS client timeout, or unavailability), then as
I mentioned, NN removes it from the write queue and carries on with the
remaining disks. Use of soft mounted NFS is important here, otherwise (i.e.
hard mounts) the NFS itself will end up hanging the NN. On a soft mounted
NFS the write will not block forever.

--
Harsh J

Re: hadoop namenode recovery

Posted by Michel Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
MapR was the first vendor to remove the NN as a SPOF.
They did this w their 1.0 release when it first came out. The downside is that their release is proprietary and very different in terms of the underlying architecture from Apace based releases.

Horton works relies on VMware as a key piece of their release.

If you want HA, you are going to have to look at a specific vendor's approach.

Mike Segel

Posted by Michel Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Michel Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Randy,

--
Harsh J

Re: hadoop namenode recovery

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Randy,

--
Harsh J

Re: hadoop namenode recovery

Posted by Michel Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Randy,

--
Harsh J

Re: hadoop namenode recovery

Posted by randy <ra...@comcast.net>.

Posted by randy <ra...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rakesh R <ra...@huawei.com>.
Hi,

I feel the most reliable approach is using NN-HA features with shared storage. Here the idea is having two Namenodes. Both the Active, Standby(Secondary) Namenodes will be pointing to the shared device and writes the editlogs to it. When the Active crashes, Standby will take over and become Active and continue serving the clients reliably without much interruptions.

One of the possible approach is with BookKeeper as Shared storage device:
http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-site/HDFSHighAvailability.html#BookKeeper_as_a_Shared_storage_EXPERIMENTAL

http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/trunk/bookkeeperOverview.html

Thanks,

Rakesh

________________________________

Posted by randy <ra...@comcast.net>.

Posted by randy <ra...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: hadoop namenode recovery

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: hadoop namenode recovery

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: hadoop namenode recovery

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: hadoop namenode recovery

Posted by randy <ra...@comcast.net>.

Posted by randy <ra...@comcast.net>.

Posted by randy <ra...@comcast.net>.

Posted by randy <ra...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Its very rare to observe an NN crash due to a software bug in production.
Most of the times its a hardware fault you should worry about.

On 1.x, or any non-HA-carrying release, the best you can get to safeguard
against a total loss is to have redundant disk volumes configured, one
preferably over a dedicated remote NFS mount. This way the NN is
recoverable after the node goes down, since you can retrieve a current copy
from another machine (i.e. via the NFS mount) and set a new node up to
replace the older NN and continue along.

A load balancer will not work as the NN is not a simple webserver - it
maintains state which you cannot sync. We wrote HA-HDFS features to address

--
Harsh J

Re: hadoop namenode recovery

Posted by nagarjuna kanamarlapudi <na...@gmail.com>.
I am not sure if this is possible as in 0.2X or 1.0 releases of Hadoop .

--
Sent from iPhone

Re: hadoop namenode recovery

Posted by nagarjuna kanamarlapudi <na...@gmail.com>.

--
Sent from iPhone

Re: hadoop namenode recovery

Posted by anil gupta <an...@gmail.com>.
Inline

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 7:48 PM, Panshul Whisper <ou...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
> I have another idea.... regarding solving the single point failure of
> Hadoop...
> What If I have multiple Name Nodes setup and running behind a load
> balancer in the cluster. So this way I can have multiple Name Nodes at the
> same IP Address of the load balancer. Which resolves the problem of
> failure, If one Name Node goes down, others are working.

This wont work since the DataNode's always needs to be aware of active
NameNode to send heartbeat and for other communication.
Hortonworks as well as Cloudera both have solution for Single Point of
Failure of Namenode. You will have to analyze the solutions and pick one.

> [...]
>>> be looking at hadoop HA currently with 2.x releases.
>>> Regards
>>> Bejoy KS
>>>
>>> Sent from remote device, Please excuse typos
>>> ------------------------------
>>> *From: * Panshul Whisper <ou...@gmail.com>
>>> *Date: *Mon, 14 Jan 2013 19:04:24 -0800
>>> *To: *<us...@hadoop.apache.org>; <be...@gmail.com>
>>> *Subject: *Re: hadoop namenode recovery
>>>
>>> thank you for the reply.
>>>
>>> Is there a way with which I can configure my cluster to switch to the
>>> Secondary Name Node automatically in case of the Primary Name Node failure?
>>>  When I run my current Hadoop, I see the primary and secondary both Name
>>> nodes running. I was wondering what is that Secondary Name Node for? and
>>> where is it configured?
>>> I was also wondering, is it possible to have two or more Name nodes

>>> Regards,

--
Thanks & Regards,
Anil Gupta

Re: hadoop namenode recovery

Posted by nagarjuna kanamarlapudi <na...@gmail.com>.

--
Sent from iPhone

Re: hadoop namenode recovery

Posted by nagarjuna kanamarlapudi <na...@gmail.com>.

--
Sent from iPhone

Re: hadoop namenode recovery

Posted by anil gupta <an...@gmail.com>.
Inline

> [...]

>>> be looking at hadoop HA currently with 2.x releases.
>>> Regards
>>> Bejoy KS
>>>
>>> Sent from remote device, Please excuse typos
>>> ------------------------------
>>> *From: * Panshul Whisper <ou...@gmail.com>
>>> *Date: *Mon, 14 Jan 2013 19:04:24 -0800
>>> *To: *<us...@hadoop.apache.org>; <be...@gmail.com>
>>> *Subject: *Re: hadoop namenode recovery
>>>
>>> thank you for the reply.
>>>
>>> Is there a way with which I can configure my cluster to switch to the
>>> Secondary Name Node automatically in case of the Primary Name Node failure?
>>>  When I run my current Hadoop, I see the primary and secondary both Name
>>> nodes running. I was wondering what is that Secondary Name Node for? and
>>> where is it configured?
>>> I was also wondering, is it possible to have two or more Name nodes

>>> Regards,

--
Thanks & Regards,
Anil Gupta

Re: hadoop namenode recovery

Posted by anil gupta <an...@gmail.com>.
Inline

> [...]

>>> be looking at hadoop HA currently with 2.x releases.
>>> Regards
>>> Bejoy KS
>>>
>>> Sent from remote device, Please excuse typos
>>> ------------------------------
>>> *From: * Panshul Whisper <ou...@gmail.com>
>>> *Date: *Mon, 14 Jan 2013 19:04:24 -0800
>>> *To: *<us...@hadoop.apache.org>; <be...@gmail.com>
>>> *Subject: *Re: hadoop namenode recovery
>>>
>>> thank you for the reply.
>>>
>>> Is there a way with which I can configure my cluster to switch to the
>>> Secondary Name Node automatically in case of the Primary Name Node failure?
>>>  When I run my current Hadoop, I see the primary and secondary both Name
>>> nodes running. I was wondering what is that Secondary Name Node for? and
>>> where is it configured?
>>> I was also wondering, is it possible to have two or more Name nodes

>>> Regards,

--
Thanks & Regards,
Anil Gupta

Re: hadoop namenode recovery

Posted by anil gupta <an...@gmail.com>.
Inline

> [...]

>>> be looking at hadoop HA currently with 2.x releases.
>>> Regards
>>> Bejoy KS
>>>
>>> Sent from remote device, Please excuse typos
>>> ------------------------------
>>> *From: * Panshul Whisper <ou...@gmail.com>
>>> *Date: *Mon, 14 Jan 2013 19:04:24 -0800
>>> *To: *<us...@hadoop.apache.org>; <be...@gmail.com>
>>> *Subject: *Re: hadoop namenode recovery
>>>
>>> thank you for the reply.
>>>
>>> Is there a way with which I can configure my cluster to switch to the
>>> Secondary Name Node automatically in case of the Primary Name Node failure?
>>>  When I run my current Hadoop, I see the primary and secondary both Name
>>> nodes running. I was wondering what is that Secondary Name Node for? and
>>> where is it configured?
>>> I was also wondering, is it possible to have two or more Name nodes

>>> Regards,

--
Thanks & Regards,
Anil Gupta