Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by "J. Matthew Pryor" <jm...@observant.com.au> on 2010/01/03 03:07:56 UTC

Massive accumulation of ConcurrentHashMap in heap

Hi,

I am trying to track down the reason for a massive accumulation of
ConcurrentHashMap in the heap of our long running Java process.

We are running Java 1.6 so I am pretty sure the known issue relating
to the 1.5 JVM doesn't apply here.

The URL below is a link to a screen shot of the heap analysis, showing
the accumulated memory. It seems to be root in a series or region
brokers?

http://img160.yfrog.com/img160/1049/heap.png

I can also see that some JMX classes are in the root, could the reason
for the accumulation be related to having JMX enabled?

As far as we can tell, the queues are being serviced normally, and
this application generally runs for long periods of time without any
noticeable memory leak.

I'd be greatly appreciative of any ideas for strategies to get more
information about the source of the memory accumulation.

We're using Java 1.6 7 Active MQ 5.3

Thanks,
Matthew

Re: Massive accumulation of ConcurrentHashMap in heap

Posted by "J. Matthew Pryor" <jm...@observant.com.au>.
Thanks for the reply Rob,

I am not sure how we are accumulating these connections, could be
anything to do with having turned JMX on?

We sometime have clients with intermittent TCP/IP network connection?
Perhaps we have timeout issues or some other reason for retaining the
connections?

Can you suggest any mods or config changes we can perform to help
diagnosis?

We still have the dumped heap file, are there any other queries we can
perform that might shed more light?

Thanks again

Matthew

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.