Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by Olexandr K <ol...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/26 09:14:09 UTC

Strange cluster activation behaviour in ignite 2.4.0

Hi Igniters,

I observe strange cluster activation behaviour in ignite 2.4.0

1) start 2 server nodes
2) control.bat --state => Cluster is inactive
3) control.bat --activate => Cluster activated
4) stop both nodes
5) start them again
6) control.bat --state => Cluster is active

Q: why my cluster was auto-activated on restart? Is it expected?

I didn't run any "control.bat --baseline" command

OS : Windows Server 2012 R2

<property name="discoverySpi">
            <bean
class="org.apache.ignite.spi.discovery.tcp.TcpDiscoverySpi">
                <property name="localPort" value="47500"/>
                <property name="localPortRange" value="4"/>
                <property name="ipFinder">
                    <bean
class="org.apache.ignite.spi.discovery.tcp.ipfinder.vm.TcpDiscoveryVmIpFinder">

                        <property name="addresses">
                            <list>
                                <value>host1:47500..47504</value>
                                <value>host2:47500..47504</value>
                            </list>
                        </property>
                    </bean>
                </property>
            </bean>
        </property>

Re: Strange cluster activation behaviour in ignite 2.4.0

Posted by Olexandr K <ol...@gmail.com>.
yes, everything is clear now
thanks!

Posted by "slava.koptilin" <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

1) start 2 server nodes
    ^ the cluster was started at the first time. There was no baseline
topology yet.

2) control.bat --state => Cluster is inactive
3) control.bat --activate => Cluster activated
    ^ the first activation of the cluster, it forms baseline topology

4) stop both nodes
5) start them again
    ^ The baseline already exists and Ignite can automatically activate the
cluster.

6) control.bat --state => Cluster is active
    ^ Yes, that is expected behavior.

Please take a look at this page:
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/cluster-activation#section-baseline-topology

> Note that the baseline topology is not set when the cluster is started for
> the first time;
> that's the only time when a manual intervention is needed.
> So, once all the nodes that should belong to the baseline topology are up
> and running,
> you can set the topology from code, Ignite Web Console or command line
> tool,
> and let Ignite handle the automatic cluster activation routines going
> forward.

I hope this hepls.

Thanks,
Slava.

Re: Strange cluster activation behaviour in ignite 2.4.0

Posted by Olexandr K <ol...@gmail.com>.
but I didn't setup baseline topology

doc says: "To form the baseline topology from a set of nodes, use the
./control.sh --baseline set command along with a list of the nodes' consist
ent IDs:"

is it auto-resolving after first cluster activation and we don't need to
use "control.bat --baseline" at all?

Posted by "slava.koptilin" <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hello Oleks,

The cluster can be automatically activated once all the nodes of the
baseline topology have joined after a cluster restart. This is expected
behaviour.

[1]
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/cluster-activation#section-automatic-activation

Thanks,
Slava.

Re: Strange cluster activation behaviour in ignite 2.4.0

Posted by Mikael <mi...@telia.com>.
Silly question, do you have native persistence enabled ?

Mikael