Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2006/07/15 06:48:53 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Content for 1.2

All,

Its time to start defining the content of what everyone is planning on doing for 1.2.  The biggest
change so far that I'm aware of are the refactoring of OEJB by Dain and the Maven 2 work done by
JDillon, Prasad, Anita and others.  Not too much content from an end-user perspective.  I think
DJencks was doing some work on pluggable JAAC as well.

In the spirit of kicking 1.2 off can you post to this thread the things you'd like to get into 1.2?
   I've heard many folks indiciate that the community would like to time box releases so they don't
go on forever so to kick it off I'd think development through the end of August (that's when we'd
branch) with a release toward the end of September sounds about right.

Here's a strawman format for the ideas with my 2c in there.

Proposer     	Description
Hogstrom	Improve tomcat, Jetty and Connector instrumentation
Hogstrom	SPECjAppServer Performance improvements.

Let the games begin...

Re: [DISCUSSION] Content for 1.2

Posted by Peter Nabbefeld <Pe...@gmx.de>.
Hello,

what about an install dialog and better error reporting?

* install dialog:
  - geronimo could check during installation, if everything needed is
available as needed
  - if geronimo finds and can use different installed software packages,
it could allow to choose

* error reporting:
  - a stack trace for about 30 levels or even more (printed as e.g. "...
13 more // <another trace> // ... 15 more) isn't really helpful
  - better/more helpful error output would result in less questions,
thus less work on user support :-)

Kind regards

Peter Nabbefeld

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jan Bartel <ja...@mortbay.com>.
I'd like to see the work to integrate jetty6 go in. However,
we'd have to have some discussion about whether we wanted to
upgrade the whole of Geronimo to JavaEE5 at that time or
just have the web container (well, Jetty at least) support
servlet 2.5.

regards
Jan

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
I'd like to see the itests framework with atleast a basic suite of
tests go into v1.2.

Cheers
Prasad

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.
I'm working on

1)  Adding additional providers for javamail beyond SMTP.  POP3, NNTP,
and NNTP-POST are already in.  IMap is in the works.
2)  Creating a 1.4 version of the javamail API (already done).
3)  Add Yoko support to openejb and do a general cleanup of the openejb
CORBA code.
4)  Change the openejb CORBA code to use the Geronimo KeystoreManager API.

Rick

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I was also planning on taking a look at implementing platform service
support for windows and unix... time permitting.

--jason

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jul 14, 2006, at 9:48 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> All,
>
> Its time to start defining the content of what everyone is planning
> on doing for 1.2.  The biggest change so far that I'm aware of are
> the refactoring of OEJB by Dain and the Maven 2 work done by
> JDillon, Prasad, Anita and others.  Not too much content from an
> end-user perspective.  I think DJencks was doing some work on
> pluggable JAAC as well.
>
> In the spirit of kicking 1.2 off can you post to this thread the
> things you'd like to get into 1.2?   I've heard many folks
> indiciate that the community would like to time box releases so
> they don't go on forever so to kick it off I'd think development
> through the end of August (that's when we'd branch) with a release
> toward the end of September sounds about right.
>
> Here's a strawman format for the ideas with my 2c in there.
>
> Proposer     	Description
> Hogstrom	Improve tomcat, Jetty and Connector instrumentation
> Hogstrom	SPECjAppServer Performance improvements.

All my ideas below depend on RTC working somewhat more than it has so
far, or my finding a way to develop these features outside geronimo.
The pluggable jacc patch has been in RTC since July 3 with 1 +1 and
no other comments.

djencks      pluggable jacc, at least the framework if not another
jacc implementation plugged in (might be done depending on results of
RTC)
djencks      global jndi, either working with Krishnakumar B
(GERONIMO-21530) or independently
djencks      make jpa available to jee applications (I don't
understand the problems well enough yet to say more)
djencks      jetspeed 2 integration

thanks
david jencks