Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Emily Ye <em...@google.com> on 2022/01/27 02:07:14 UTC

[VOTE] Release 2.36.0, release candidate #1

From: emilyye@apache.org
To: dev@beam.apache.org
Subject: [VOTE] Release 2.36.0, release candidate #1

Hi everyone,
Please review and vote on the release candidate #1 for the version 2.36.0
as follows:
[ ] +1, Approve the release
[ ] -1, Do not approve the release (please provide specific comments)

Reviewers are encouraged to test their own use cases with the release
candidate, and vote +1 if no issues are found.

The complete staging area is available for your review, which includes:
* JIRA release notes [1],
* the official Apache source release to be deployed to dist.apache.org [2],
which is signed with the key with fingerprint
730D5E8D4CA810C1F01D304B610B38AA1BE11656 [3],
* all artifacts to be deployed to the Maven Central Repository [4],
* source code tag "v2.36.0-RC1" [5],
* website pull request listing the release [6], the blog post [6], and
publishing the API reference manual [7].
* Java artifacts were built with Gradle 7.3.2 and OpenJDK 1.8.0_181
* Python artifacts are deployed along with the source release to the
dist.apache.org [2] and PyPI[8].
* Validation sheet with a tab for 2.36.0 release to help with validation
[9].
* Docker images published to Docker Hub [10].

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours. It is adopted by majority
approval, with at least 3 PMC affirmative votes.

For guidelines on how to try the release in your projects, check out our
blog post at https://beam.apache.org/blog/validate-beam-release/.

Thanks,
Release Manager

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12319527&version=12350407
[2] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/beam/2.36.0/
[3] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/beam/KEYS
[4] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachebeam-1248/
[5] https://github.com/apache/beam/tree/v2.36.0-RC1
[7] https://github.com/apache/beam-site/pull/622
[8] https://pypi.org/project/apache-beam/2.36.0rc1/
[9]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qk-N5vjXvbcEk68GjbkSZTR8AGqyNUM-oLFo_ZXBpJw/edit
[10] https://hub.docker.com/search?q=apache%2Fbeam&type=image

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.36.0, release candidate #1

Posted by Emily Ye <em...@google.com>.
Thanks to everyone who has validated so far!

I was unable to run the Spark quickstart (StackOverflow within Spark due to
JDK14 -> SLF4J -> JDK14). I believe this is because several dependencies in
the Spark runner package were recently updated from provided to compile
(see pom for 2.35.0 [1] vs this release [2] and PR [3] that changed from
compileOnly to implementation).

The quickstart passed after I changed my pom.xml to
exclude org.slf4j.jul-to-slf4j from org.apache.beam.beam-runners-spark, so
I think changing the quickstart POMs will fix the test [4].

Questions:
1) Is the provided -> compile change in the POMs an issue? i.e. point out
as "breaking change" in CHANGELOG, avoid this change entirely, or fine to
leave as is. cc Kyle who may have most context on Spark changes.
2) If the answer to the first question doesn't necessitate a new RC, will
changing the quickstart POMs require a new RC?

Thank you!
Emily

----

[1]
https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/beam/beam-runners-spark/2.35.0/beam-runners-spark-2.35.0.pom
[2]
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachebeam-1248/org/apache/beam/beam-runners-spark/2.36.0/beam-runners-spark-2.36.0.pom

Posted by Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@google.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Valentyn Tymofieiev <va...@google.com>.

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.

Posted by Jack McCluskey <jr...@google.com>.

Posted by Andy Ye <ye...@google.com>.

Posted by Ahmet Altay <al...@google.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Kiley Sok <ki...@google.com>.
There's also a dependency difference in :sdks:java:extensions:sql:hcatalog
that's causing beam_Release_NightlySnapshot to fail. I'm not sure if
that'll also be an issue or not.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-13741

Posted by Emily Ye <em...@google.com>.
My plan is to cut a new RC with the following changes:

1) https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/16672 (excluding
io.grpc:grpc-netty-shaded in com.google.api:gax-grpc)
2) https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/16675 (reverting
provided->compileOnly-> implemented changes to spark libraries in Spark
runner for now, we should add these to long-term provided migration)

Thanks Tomo and everyone who has validated so far!

Emily

Posted by Tomo Suzuki <su...@google.com>.
> [...]

> com.google.cloud:google-cloud-spanner:jar:6.17.4 ->
> io.grpc:grpc-netty-shaded:jar:1.43.2,
> org.apache.beam:beam-sdks-java-io-google-cloud-platform:jar:2.36.0 ->
> io.grpc:grpc-alts:jar:1.43.2 ->
> io.grpc:grpc-netty-shaded:jar:[1.43.2,1.43.2],
> org.apache.beam:beam-sdks-java-io-google-cloud-platform:jar:2.36.0 ->
> io.grpc:grpc-netty-shaded:jar:1.43.2] -> [Help 1]

> Can it be related?

> 2.36.0 as follows:
> comments)

> release candidate, and vote +1 if no issues are found.

> includes:
> dist.apache.org [2], which is signed with the key with fingerprint
> 730D5E8D4CA810C1F01D304B610B38AA1BE11656 [3],
> and publishing the API reference manual [7].
> the dist.apache.org [2] and PyPI[8].
> validation [9].

> majority approval, with at least 3 PMC affirmative votes.

Tomo

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.36.0, release candidate #1

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.

Posted by Emily Ye <em...@google.com>.

Posted by Tomo Suzuki <su...@google.com>.

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.

Posted by Alexey Romanenko <ar...@gmail.com>.
Yes, it can be a workaround I guess but it’s a breaking change for users since they would need to update their Beam project dependencies.

I see some progress on this issue on this mail thread (thanks to all involved, sorry I was not online due to different timezone), so thank you for holding this RC off and creating a RC2.

—
Alexey

Posted by Emily Ye <em...@google.com>.

Posted by Alexey Romanenko <ar...@gmail.com>.