Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2002/08/03 06:12:58 UTC

Wacky new docs style

Since nobody had any better ideas, here's a proposal for a new display
format for the docs.  It is stolen directly from
http://style.tigris.org/

Here are some examples.  You'll need IE6 or a recent Mozilla to view them.

http://cvs.apache.org/~slive/httpd-2.0/docs/manual/mod/mod_auth.xml
http://cvs.apache.org/~slive/httpd-2.0/docs/manual/mod/mod_log_config.xml
http://cvs.apache.org/~slive/httpd-2.0/docs/manual/logs.xml
http://cvs.apache.org/~slive/httpd-2.0/docs/manual/configuring.xml

Obviously, there are still tons of details to work out.  (For example, the
top banner is obviously horribly wrong; contributions welcome!)  But I
think it looks pretty good overall.

What do others think?

Joshua.

Re: Wacky new docs style

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, André Malo wrote:

> * Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> > Since nobody had any better ideas, here's a proposal for a new display
> > format for the docs.  It is stolen directly from
> > http://style.tigris.org/
>
> Uuh, I didn't want to post any pre-(alpha-)releases of our local work
> here, but ok, that's my fault ;-)

Feel free to post.  More choice is always good.

> > Here are some examples.  [...]
>
> some unsorted thoughts:
>
> the text size in all navigation elements is too small.
> generally, font-size: small for normal text isn't really a good idea.
>
> the "related" stuff... ehm, the ugly fat double border should be turned
> to a more decent one ;)
>
> IMHO, the white space on the left side drops too much of the effective
> area.

The style here is based closely on the tigris stuff, and if we are going
to use that, then I won't want to make too many custom changes.
Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to take advantage of upgrades to the tigris
stylesheets.  (Some custom changes can be made by layering our own
stylesheet overtop of the tigris one.)

Yes the text size is perhaps slightly too small, and I have an updated
tigris stylesheet that increases it just a bit.  But unfortunately, the
"small" size has become the standard on the web.  If you look at major
websites, you'll see that virtually all use somthing resembling <small>
for their default text font. The consequence is that people have adjusted
their browser settings so that <small> is the most comfortable font to
read.  Using anything bigger is too big for most people.

There is a similar issue with the whitespace.  Most people have their
browsers open to a window size that assumes there will be a menu occupying
some screan realestate.  If you then write text across the whole screen,
the lines become way too long to comfortably read.  Our current doc style
has uncomfortably long lines on a 800x600 browser, in my opinion.

For the "Related" stuff, yes that is incredibly ugly.  It is just a
placeholder.  I've never been happy with how those sections look, and I am
open to suggestions.

Joshua.

Re: Wacky new docs style

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Joshua Slive wrote:

> Since nobody had any better ideas, here's a proposal for a new display
> format for the docs.  It is stolen directly from
> http://style.tigris.org/

Uuh, I didn't want to post any pre-(alpha-)releases of our local work
here, but ok, that's my fault ;-)

> Here are some examples.  [...]

some unsorted thoughts:

the text size in all navigation elements is too small.
generally, font-size: small for normal text isn't really a good idea.

the "related" stuff... ehm, the ugly fat double border should be turned
to a more decent one ;)

IMHO, the white space on the left side drops too much of the effective
area.

I could only view via Mozilla here and so ein can't say anything about
the resulting HTML code.

nd
--
package Hacker::Perl::Another::Just;print
qq~@{[reverse split/::/ =>__PACKAGE__]}~;

#  André Malo  #  http://www.perlig.de  #

Re: Wacky new docs style

Posted by Jason Lingohr <ja...@lucid.net.au>.
On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 09:12:58PM -0700, Joshua Slive wrote:

> Obviously, there are still tons of details to work out.  (For example, the
> top banner is obviously horribly wrong; contributions welcome!)  But I
> think it looks pretty good overall.
>
> What do others think?

That look is very cute.  I like it.

Jase.

RE: Wacky new docs style

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Vincent de Lau wrote:
> I'll have a more torough look into the matter later.

Don't look in too much detail, since it is really just a mockup.  If
people agree that this is the way to go, I'll work up a second version for
more detailed comment.

> Are you thinking to deploy this on httpd.apache.org as well?

That is certainly a possibility.  But I may run out of time well before
that gets done.

Joshua.

RE: Wacky new docs style

Posted by Vincent de Lau <vi...@delau.nl>.
> Obviously, there are still tons of details to work out.  (For example, the
> top banner is obviously horribly wrong; contributions welcome!)  But I
> think it looks pretty good overall.
>
> What do others think?

I'm +1 on this. Still needs some work though, but the general idea is good.

I'll have a more torough look into the matter later.

Are you thinking to deploy this on httpd.apache.org as well?

Vincent de Lau
 vincent@delau.nl