Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by "Eid, Jonathan" <Jo...@csgsystems.com> on 2002/08/05 22:46:59 UTC

COBOL compile task?

I need a "cobol compile" task.  I expect I will have to roll my own, but I
thought I would check here first to see if anyone else has embarked down
this path.

I have to support some COBOL developers that are working with Micro Focus
Server Express COBOL on a Solaris box.
I have all of the source code in CVS and I have written a simple build.xml
file that builds the required directory structure and retrieves everything
needed from CVS.

I have some ksh scripts that can handle the compilation, but I would prefer
to have a "cobolc" or "MFcobolc" task that works in a fashion similar to the
javac task.  I have done some trolling through CVS and after looking at some
of the source code, I figured I'd use the javac task code as something of a
template.

TIA,
Jonathan Eid
plaNet Consulting, a division of CSG Systems, Inc.
303.200.3519
jonathan_eid@csgsystems.com

Re: COBOL compile task?

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@houston.rr.com>.
The cc task in the ant-contrib project at SourceForge
(http://sf.net/projects/ant-contrib, module cpptasks in the CVS) is designed
to support multiple languages with traditional compile/link cycles.  It
current has compiler adapters for C++, FORTRAN, MIDL, Windows Resource et al
and will do all your dependency checking.  All that is needed for a new
language is a minimal parser that can identify file dependencies (like
finding #include's for C++) and an adapter that builds the command line.