Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Nic <th...@gmail.com> on 2022/11/17 20:12:36 UTC

[DISCUSS]: Interim plan for new users reporting issues before GitHub migration

Hi folks,

The recent Infra policy change preventing people from signing themselves up
for JIRA accounts in order to prevent spam [1] was originally scheduled for
6th November, and though it was slightly delayed, it appears now to be in
force.

There is ongoing work to do a migration from JIRA to GitHub Issues[2], but
this may take a few weeks or move.

What should we do in the interim? Should we ask new participants to use
GitHub issues for their issue reports, or provide some path for new users
to contact the PMC (via the user mailing list or zulip?) to open an account?

I propose we go with the former and move straight to GitHub Issues even if
we're not fully there yet with the migration - this may be the simplest
option in terms of reducing the number of times we ask people to change
what they're doing, even if the GitHub Issues usage will change
significantly in that time.

Whatever we choose, I suppose we should also announce this to users
somewhere - Steph Hazlitt has started this doc [3] listing possible places
to mention this.

Thanks,

Nic

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/l545m95xmf3w47oxwqxvg811or7b93tb
[2] https://github.com/apache/arrow/issues/14542
[3]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UaSJs-oyuq8QvlUPoQ9GeiwP19LK5ZzF_5-HLfHDCIg/edit?usp=sharing

Re: [DISCUSS]: Interim plan for new users reporting issues before GitHub migration

Posted by Joris Van den Bossche <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1 on pointing new users directly to GitHub issues.

Posted by MAURICIO ANDRES VARGAS SEPULVEDA <ma...@uc.cl.INVALID>.
Hi!