Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2019/02/16 22:14:20 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Submit a resolution to the board for re-booting Xalan PMC

Ping! It has been a month and it seems that nobody has chimed in on
the questions that Gary provided below.

Does this mean that despite all efforts of late Xalan community is no more,
or does it mean that basically it is up to Gary to actually answer them?

Bill, Roger, unless you guys show some level of activity -- I don't think the
proposed resolution makes much sense.

Thanks,
Roman.

Posted by Bill Blough <bi...@apache.org>.
To be honest, I didn't really feel that there was anything for me to
add.  I suppose I should have responded to that effect.

To elaborate -

In the previous discussion, both Roger and myself voiced support for
continuing the C version.  Since I thought that was established, I took
the first question to be more about the future of the Java version.

Since I don't have the knowledge or experience to meaningfully discuss
or contribute to the Java related questions or codebase, I felt that
that question, as well as the subsequent questions (which all seem to be Java
related) are all outside my area of expertise.

So with regard to the C version of the project, yes, I'm still in
support of continuing it, and will do what I can to help make that
happen. But with regard to the Java version of the project, unless
someone else with that skill set is willing to step up and help, it may
indeed be up to Gary to drive those kinds of decisions for the Java
version.

Best regards,
Bill

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 10:14:20PM -0000, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> [...]
> > > open-source software, for distribution at no charge to
> > > the public, related to XSLT processors in Java and C++.
> > >
> > > NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
> > > Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Xalan", continues
> > > its operation pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further
> > >
> > > RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
> > > hereby are appointed to serve as the new members of the
> > > Apache Xalan Project:
> > >
> > > * Bill Blough <bi...@apache.org>
> > > * Roger Leigh <rl...@apache.org>
> > > * Gary D. Gregory <gg...@apache.org>
> > >
> > > NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Gary D. Gregory
> > > be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Xalan, to
> > > serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
> > > Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
> > > death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,

GPG: 5CDD 0C9C F446 BC1B 2509  8791 1762 E022 7034 CF84

Re: [DISCUSS] Submit a resolution to the board for re-booting Xalan PMC

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roman,
    I too am interested to devote my time on Xalan's future development.
I'm primarily interested to work on the Xalan Java version. In one of the
mails earlier by Michael Glavassevich related to this topic, where he
supports my involvement in the Xalan project.

I'll try to do some research on few points by Gary, in earlier mail below
and would share my findings.

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 3:44 AM Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:

> Ping! It has been a month and it seems that nobody has chimed in on
> the questions that Gary provided below.
>
> Does this mean that despite all efforts of late Xalan community is no more,
> or does it mean that basically it is up to Gary to actually answer them?
>
> Bill, Roger, unless you guys show some level of activity -- I don't think
> the
> proposed resolution makes much sense.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.
>
> On 2019/01/16 12:49:23, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Roman: Thank you for following up.
> >
> > I think there a couple of worthy items to discuss:
> > - Which Xalan components are we still interested in? We have both a C
> and a
> > Java version.
> > - Does the Oracle JRE still contain a fork of Xalan-J? What are the
> > differences?
> > - When we talk about Java, should we restrict the conversation to LTE
> > releases like Java 8 and 11?
> > - Saxon-HE feels so far ahead of Xalan now. Are there other XSL
> processors
> > out there that are free and/or FOSS?
> > - In light of Saxon, keeping Xalan-J alive seems more of an exercise in
> > maintenance. Selfishly, it would help me at work, but I might be more
> > inclined to spend my time to port to Saxon TBH, instead of waiting for
> XSL
> > 2 support in Xalan-J for example.
> >
> > I'm sure there is more but that seems like a start ;-)
> >
> > Gary

Mukul Gandhi

Re: [DISCUSS] Submit a resolution to the board for re-booting Xalan PMC

Posted by Bill Blough <de...@blough.us>.
Hi Roman,

I have no comments/updates/objections.

Best Regards,
Bill

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roman,
    I guess, we can have Michael Glavassevich as PMC member as well into
the new Xalan PMC, unless he refuses. He has wealth of knowledge, from the
Xerces project which is a dependency for XalanJ.

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 3:15 AM Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:

> Bill, Roger, Mukul, Gary, it all makes sense. I think it shows your
> commitment and the rest
> of technical points raised in this thread can be handled via normal
> function of the PMC.
> Based on the suggestion from Bertrand, I'm going to go ahead with the
> following wording
> of the resolution. Please review:
>
>        WHEREAS, the Xalan Project Management Committee (PMC) only has less
> than 3
>        active member left, which is not enough to operate; and
>
>        WHEREAS, several ASF members have agreed to form a new PMC to help
>        bring the project back to working status;
>
>        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the Xalan PMC is re-established,
>        with the persons listed immediately below appointed to serve as its
>        members:
>
>         * Bill Blough (billblough)
>         * Roger Leigh (rleigh)
>         * Mukul Gandhi (mukulg)
>         * Gary D. Gregory (ggregory)
>
>        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Gary D. Gregory
>        be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Xalan, to
>        serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
>        Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
>        death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
>        or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that current members of the Xalan PMC who are not
>        included in the above list of members are discharged from any
>        responsibilities pertaining to the Xalan PMC.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

Mukul Gandhi

Re: [DISCUSS] Submit a resolution to the board for re-booting Xalan PMC

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roger Leigh <rl...@codelibre.net>.
Dear Roman,