Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marc Kool <M....@vioro.nl> on 2004/07/13 01:06:44 UTC

sex.surbl.org (was: Re: include IP lookups in SURBL lists)

Chris Santerre wrote:

>>To start another thread:
>>I am a contributor to the free URL database that can be used
>>by squidguard and dansguardian
>>with a strong focus on sex sites (with 397000 domains).
>>Although not every sex site sends spam, a mail administrator
>>may want to implement
>>a local policy to block emails that refer to sex sites (I would :-)
>>Does anybody wants/needs/likes sex.surbl.org ???
>>For a list like sex.surbl.org a feature to include IP
>>addresses is a benefit
>>since 57% percent of the sex domains have 10 or more domains
>>resolving to a single IP address.
>>
>>Marc
>
> Mark this is a GREAT idea. I'm BCC'ing Jeff on it to make sure he sees this.
>

> --Chris

I received some questions, so for those who don't know it yet:
the free URL database that mainly includes a list of adult domains can be found on
http://cri.univ-tlse1.fr/documentations/cache/squidguard_en.html#contrib
(correction to the above number: 466057 adult domains are listed on July 13 2004).
If you want to pay for it, you may want to go to http://www.urlblacklist.com

-Marc

Re: sex.surbl.org (was: Re: include IP lookups in SURBL lists)

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Monday, July 12, 2004, 4:06:44 PM, Marc Kool wrote:
> Chris Santerre wrote:

>>>To start another thread:
>>>I am a contributor to the free URL database that can be used
>>>by squidguard and dansguardian
>>>with a strong focus on sex sites (with 397000 domains).
>>>Although not every sex site sends spam, a mail administrator
>>>may want to implement
>>>a local policy to block emails that refer to sex sites (I would :-)
>>>Does anybody wants/needs/likes sex.surbl.org ???
>>>For a list like sex.surbl.org a feature to include IP
>>>addresses is a benefit
>>>since 57% percent of the sex domains have 10 or more domains
>>>resolving to a single IP address.

>> Mark this is a GREAT idea. I'm BCC'ing Jeff on it to make sure he sees this.

>> --Chris

> I received some questions, so for those who don't know it yet:
> the free URL database that mainly includes a list of adult domains can be found on
> http://cri.univ-tlse1.fr/documentations/cache/squidguard_en.html#contrib
> (correction to the above number: 466057 adult domains are listed on July 13 2004).
> If you want to pay for it, you may want to go to http://www.urlblacklist.com

> -Marc

Thanks for sharing this idea and a free list of the relevant
domains.  I agree it's an interesting idea, though we've been
focussed on spammer's URI domains so far, so it's a bit of a
tangent.

At nearly 500k record we'd definitely want to do this
with rbldnsd.  BIND is already getting pretty slow with lists
approaching 100k records.  For comparison, sbl.spamhaus.org
has about 5k records, xbl has about 1.7 million records,
list.dsbl.org has nearly 4 million records.  multi.surbl.org,
our largest production list has about 45k records.

How does anyone else feel about turning this list of sex sites
into a SURBL?

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan