Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Michael Marth <mm...@adobe.com> on 2014/11/07 18:53:27 UTC

Re: Getting Started With JackRabbit Oak - A Complete Beginner

Hi Bruce,

I can take some of these questions:

> The oak JCR itself is fairly low level and requires a lot of additional
> infrastructure to provide a functional application. I¹ve looked into some
> more enterprisey type systems, like alfresco, magnolia, eXo, etc, and they
> all appear to use the older jackrabbit non-oak version.
> Are there any more comprehensive apps that are currently using oak as a
> foundation?

Adobe’s Experience Manager uses Oak as its foundation (starting with version 6)

> Our needs include:
> - a JCR for binary content, text, pdf, video, audio, etc. All kinds of
> media files, grouped in a hierarchical fashion.

Perfect fit for the JCR content model

> - RBAC for controlling access to content as well as tracking changes by
> user and providing an audit path

Acces control is provided.
Tracking changes is not, but it would be simple to write an observation listener that writes to a log or so.

> - Some way of managing users and permissions - this alone is an argument
> for using a higher level app than direct jcr coding.

User management (as in the UI) is a concern for higher layers. There is an API on Jackrabbit level to manage users and groups on repo level (see [1])

> - Allowing users direct access to the webDAV view of the repo for content
> editing, while tracking edits by user and generating events on edit
> commits.

WebDAV is supported, the same security and user management considerations apply. Again, tracking could be implemented as a listener.
One strength of JCR is that these mechanism are independent of the access channel (Java API or WebDAV)

> - Some form of workflow management, again, this has been done 1e6 times
> already. Why re-invent. What¹s available that works with oak/sling?

I am not aware of an open source WF engine that works with JCR content ootb.

> - and of course the push/pull of data into the jcr. This is the primary
> reason for looking at oak, but it¹s the associated support tasks that are
> pushing for a more fully functional framework.

There is a full import/export feature (via XML). Of course, you can also use the Java API for that.

> What are the package blocks people are using with oak? Does everyone use
> sling? Is that the only option for oak or are there others?

In my view Sling is very popular, but there is also a Spring connector for JCR.

HTH
Michael

[1] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/api/2.4/org/apache/jackrabbit/api/security/user/UserManager.html