Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Morten Andersen <bl...@blobcom.com> on 2006/03/08 08:42:17 UTC

Server setup

How can I set up my server environment when my requirements are the
following:

* Multihoming must be possible without restart of the server
* The server must be secure.

Should I setup an apache server in front of tomcat to handle multihoming
and then run a tomcat per application? Or can Tomcat handle all these
things just as good as apache?

Regards

Morten Andersen

Re: Server setup

Posted by Morten Andersen <bl...@blobcom.com>.
Leon Rosenberg skrev:
> On 3/8/06, Morten Andersen <bl...@blobcom.com> wrote:
>
>> How can I set up my server environment when my requirements are the
>> following:
>>
>> * Multihoming must be possible without restart of the server
>> * The server must be secure.
>>
>> Should I setup an apache server in front of tomcat to handle multihoming
>> and then run a tomcat per application? Or can Tomcat handle all these
>> things just as good as apache?
>>

> Normally I would say that you don't need an apache. But if you want to
> add new 'homes' without restart of the webapp part, it might be wise
> to put an apache in front. You could put all your webapps in one
> tomcat and provide virtual hosts and application routing via apache.
> On my personal hosting site I have to jsp container instances and one
> apache in front. The container instances are one for production and
> one for testing, so i can restart it on demand without affecting the
> production part. As soon as the customer is happy with the app it's
> moved from test to production container.

OK. I tried working with multihoming within tomcat a while ago without
much luck. Seems I had to change server.xml to add a new domain. This
seems to be easier using apache?

Morten

Re: Server setup

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.
On 3/8/06, Morten Andersen <bl...@blobcom.com> wrote:
> How can I set up my server environment when my requirements are the
> following:
>
> * Multihoming must be possible without restart of the server
> * The server must be secure.
>
> Should I setup an apache server in front of tomcat to handle multihoming
> and then run a tomcat per application? Or can Tomcat handle all these
> things just as good as apache?

Normally I would say that you don't need an apache. But if you want to
add new 'homes' without restart of the webapp part, it might be wise
to put an apache in front. You could put all your webapps in one
tomcat and provide virtual hosts and application routing via apache.
On my personal hosting site I have to jsp container instances and one
apache in front. The container instances are one for production and
one for testing, so i can restart it on demand without affecting the
production part. As soon as the customer is happy with the app it's
moved from test to production container.

> Regards
>
> Morten Andersen

Leon