Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Pedro Viegas <vi...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/01 19:09:56 UTC

Re: How to configure a JBoss to link to the webapp folder of a WAR project

Hi again,

Following a tip from John Newman I used this Eclipse plugin...
http://andrei.gmxhome.de/filesync/

This allows us to configure an automaed file copy operation for specific
project folders to whateve folder we want to.
So I configured the plugin to copy the webapp folder to the exploded wr
target folder ad got the JSP/CS/Images/JS files hot code replace working!
(Thans John!)

This is fine except for multi-module projects or dependant projects.
For these I still cannot get hot-code replacement for classes since they are
bundled as JARs even if the dependant projects are open in eclipsed and
wirkspace resolution is active um the Maven Eclise Plugin.

Has anyone gotten further with this approuch or a similar one?

Thanks,

Posted by Pedro Viegas <vi...@gmail.com>.
I think I know the reason...
Not Maven or Eclipse related!
My other projects were AspectJ ones. They have many aspects and these
classes are not hot replaced. I guess this is a limitation/feature of
AspectJ. :-(

Posted by Pedro Viegas <vi...@gmail.com>.
Martin... THANKS!

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
otherwise the classloader locks the jar and no other process can deploy on top of itMartin______________________________________________ Disclaimer and confidentiality note Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relates to the official business of Sender. This transmission is of a confidential nature and Sender does not endorse distribution to any party other than intended recipient. Sender does not necessarily endorse content contained within this transmission. > Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 18:30:35 +0100> From: viegas.dev@gmail.com> To: users@maven.apache.org> Subject: Re: How to configure a JBoss to link to the webapp folder of a WAR project> > Many apologies!> My previous post had so many tipos I had to repost it here... Will be more> careful in the future... and type slower too! :-D> > Hi again,> > Following a tip from John Newman I used this Eclipse plugin...> http://andrei.gmxhome.de/filesync/> > This allows us to configure an automated file copy operation for specific> project folders to whatever folder we want to.> So I configured the plugin to copy the webapp folder to the exploded war> target folder and got the JSP/CSS/Images and JS files hot code replace> working! (Thanks John!)> > This is fine except for multi-module projects or dependent projects.> For these I still cannot get hot-code replacement for classes since they are> bundled as JARs even if the dependent projects are open in eclipse and> workspace resolution is active im the Maven Eclipse Plugin.> > Has anyone gotten further with this approach or a similar one?> > Thanks,> > On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Pedro Viegas <vi...@gmail.com> wrote:> > > Hi again,> >> > Following a tip from John Newman I used this Eclipse plugin...> > http://andrei.gmxhome.de/filesync/> >> > This allows us to configure an automaed file copy operation for specific> > project folders to whateve folder we want to.> > So I configured the plugin to copy the webapp folder to the exploded wr> > target folder ad got the JSP/CS/Images/JS files hot code replace working!> > (Thans John!)> >> > This is fine except for multi-module projects or dependant projects.> > For these I still cannot get hot-code replacement for classes since they> > are bundled as JARs even if the dependant projects are open in eclipsed and> > wirkspace resolution is active um the Maven Eclise Plugin.> >> > Has anyone gotten further with this approuch or a similar one?> >> > Thanks,> >> >> >> > On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Pedro Viegas <vi...@gmail.com>wrote:> >> >> Hi David,> >>> >> Sorry for to confusing post.> >> I'll try to explain better.> >>> >> I have hot deployment in place. It is working, just not in the best way.> >> What I have suceeded so far:> >>> >> I have setup JBoss deploy URLs to search my> >> ${maven.project}/target/{projectWAR}> >> I deploy using mvn war:exploded so I don't have to wait for the> >> compression phase.> >> For JBoss to accept a dir like a WAR (that does not end in .war - maven's> >> notation), I have configured the war plugin to create the exploded dir with> >> ".war" sufix. Like so...> >>> >> <!-- Configure the deploy dir as a exploded war file. For JBoss to use it!> >> -->> >> <plugin>> >> <artifactId>maven-war-plugin</artifactId>> >> <configuration>> >> <webappDirectory>> >> ${project.build.directory}/${project.build.finalName}.war</> >> webappDirectory>> >> </configuration>> >> </plugin>> >> And this is what I have.> >> All java classes get hot replaced by JBoss Eclipse plugin OK.> >> JSP's are not!> >> To refresh JSP after I change them I issue a mvn war:exploded each time I> >> want to.> >>> >> This is the best I got so far. It's not a bad solution. It takes only a> >> few seconds for the projecto to refresh the JSP. BUT this is a bit> >> workarround and having to set this up for each project...> >>> >> Anyone has a better aprouch?> >>> >> Thanks,> >>> >>> >> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 12:35 AM, David Brown <da...@davidwbrown.name>> >> wrote:> >>> >>> Hello Pedro, I'm not sure by your statements if you are using a HOT> >>> deploy or not. In the case you are using a hot deploy try using an exploded> >>> war under server/default/deploy and see if you see any difference. The JSPs> >>> are compiled by the container once they are invoked at the browser. As an> >>> experiment: create a second virtual JBoss (4.2.1/4.2.2) server on a port> >>> like 8989 that deploys a single JSP and see if you can get it to recompile.> >>> There are instructions int the JBoss /examples directory on how to do this.> >>> HTH, David.> >>> Pedro Viegas wrote ..> >>> > Hi all,> >>> >> >>> > I've been trying to build an environment for developing web> >>> applications> >>> > that generate WAR files with a productive debug/development process.> >>> > I'm using JBoss as the application server. Tomcat is a no go and Jetty> >>> has> >>> > issues with some bytecode APIs I use.> >>> >> >>> > All is working fine in the traditional way. I package the WAR, deploy> >>> it to> >>> > the server with the cargo plugin and test it.> >>> > Through JBoss Eclipse Plugin I have debug and hotcode replacement for> >>> java> >>> > classes, BUT not for JSPs!> >>> > How can I make JBoss aware of JSP/CSS/JS changes?> >>> >> >>> > I have seen a bunch of examples for Tomcat and Jetty to indicate a path> >>> to> >>> > the webapp folder.> >>> > For JBoss the only solution so far has always included building an> >>> exploded> >>> > WAR somewhere and point JBoss deploy URLs to it so it deploys them.> >>> > Even the solution of using the war:inplace is not functional since> >>> JBoss> >>> > deployer only scans WAR/JAR/EAR/etc files. A directory like> >>> > "src/main/webapp" is simply ignored.> >>> >> >>> > All I wanted to do was deploy the application through Maven a Eclipse> >>> > lanched debug JBoss instance and be able to change my JSP files and> >>> refresh> >>> > them on the browser.> >>> > As anyone been able to do this?> >>> >> >>> > Thanks,> >>> >> >>> > --> >>> > Pedro Viegas> >>> >> >>> > ------------------------------------------------------------> >>> > Walking on water and developing software> >>> > from a specification are easy if both are> >>> > frozen.> >>> > - Edward V. Berard> >>> Yet some, not wise, go to the other side of the globe, to barbarous and> >>> unhealthy regions, and devote ten or twenty years, in that they may> >>> live,-that is, keep comfortably warm,- and die in New England at last.> >>>> >>> Henry David Thoreau - Walden - 1845> >>>> >>>> >>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------> >>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@maven.apache.org> >>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@maven.apache.org> >>>> >>>> >>> >>> >> --> >> Pedro Viegas> >>> >> ------------------------------------------------------------> >> Walking on water and developing software> >> from a specification are easy if both are> >> frozen.> >> - Edward V. Berard> >>> >> >> >> > --> > Pedro Viegas> >> > ------------------------------------------------------------> > Walking on water and developing software> > from a specification are easy if both are> > frozen.> > - Edward V. Berard> >> > > > -- > Pedro Viegas> > ------------------------------------------------------------> Walking on water and developing software> from a specification are easy if both are> frozen.> - Edward V. Berard

Posted by Pedro Viegas <vi...@gmail.com>.
Many apologies!