Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com> on 2020/12/15 12:28:26 UTC

IMPORTANT! PIP 20.3 does NOT work with Airflow (2.0 and 1.10) including the upcoming 20.3.2

Hello everyone,

Just to remind everyone - there is an ongoing issue with the new resolver
in PIP 20.3 that breaks Airflow installation.

The only officially supported version of PIP to install airflow is 20.2.4
and you are strongly advised to downgrade to this version before attempting
to install Airflow (both upcoming 2.0 and 1.10 series are affected -
including old released versions of Airflow):

*pip install --upgrade pip=20.2.4  *

While 20.3 might work when you have one or two extras, it does not work in
more complex combinations of those and it is still (including current
master) few orders of magnitude slower than PIP 20.2.4 and downloads GBs of
multiple versions of many packages. It takes 30 minutes of installation
process (and fails) vs. 20 seconds in PIP 20.2.4 (and succeeds) in my tests.

The PIP team is aware of the issues and we are testing new releases of PIP
they are working on. They plan to release 20.3.2 but the current
candidate from master still does not work.

You can track the progress in our "Umbrella" issue:
https://github.com/apache/airflow/issues/12838  (❗ PIP 20.3 breaks Airflow
installation❗ <https://github.com/apache/airflow/issues/12838#>)

There are three new issues I opened today after testing the PIP master:

* https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/9297  - Multiple setuptools and wheels
downloaded during installation with PI 20.3.2@master

* https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/9298  - PIP install few orders of
magnitude slower in PIP 20.3.2@master than 20.2.4

* https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/9299  - PIP install 20.3.2@master
fails to install airflow 2.0.0rc3

J.

--

Jarek Potiuk

M: +48 660 796 129 <+48660796129>

Re: IMPORTANT! PIP 20.3 does NOT work with Airflow (2.0 and 1.10) including the upcoming 20.3.2

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.
*pip install --upgrade pip==20.2.4  *

--

Jarek Potiuk