Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2008/09/23 16:33:44 UTC

[VOTE] accept Olio into incubation

Please vote on accepting Olio into incubation.

The proposal can be found at: http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OlioProposal

[This proposal was formerly known as Web20Kit]

The text of the proposal:

OlioProposal
Abstract
Apache Olio is a web 2.0 toolkit to help developers evaluate the
suitability, functionality and performance of various web technologies
by implementing a reasonably complex application in several different
technologies.

Proposal
Olio will develop an example application to understand the benefits,
performance, and scalability of popular web technologies. Multiple
implementations of the application are planned - each providing the
same functionality but staying true to the philosophy of its base
language/framework.

Background
Most web 2.0 sites today use open source languages and frameworks such
as PHP, Ruby on Rails, and Java EE to develop their applications.
Deployments of these applications also use popular open source servers
such as Apache httpd, Tomcat, MySQL, Memcache, and Glassfish. Many
other servers/technologies such as lighttpd, mogileFS, mongrels, JRuby
are also gaining popularity.

With the myriad technologies available, it is not easy to understand
how they differ, especially in terms of performance and scalability.
With varied levels of documentation available for some open source
applications, it is also quite difficult for a web 2.0 startup to
understand the correct usage of these technologies so that they don't
become a bottleneck as their site grows.

Rationale
Olio is a toolkit that will attempt to address the above issues.

What it does

Olio defines an example web 2.0 application (the initial
implementation uses an events site somewhat like yahoo.com/upcoming)
and provides three implementations: PHP, Java EE, and Ruby on Rails.
The toolkit will also define ways to drive load against the
application in order to measure performance.

As developers join the project, they can implement the same
application using their favorite web frameworks and compare their
implementations to others.

What you can learn from it

a) Understand how to use various web 2.0 technologies such as AJAX,
memcached, mogileFS etc. in the creation of your own application. Use
the code in the application to understand the subtle complexities
involved and how to get around issues with these technologies.

b) Evaluate the differences in the implementations: PHP, Ruby on
Rails, Java EE, and other contributed implementations to understand
which might best work for your situation.

c) Within each language implementation, evaluate different
infrastructure technologies by changing the servers used (e.g: apache
vs lighttpd, MySQL vs PostgreSQL, Ruby vs Jruby etc.)

d) Drive load against the application to evaluate the performance and
scalability of the chosen platform.

e) Experiment with different algorithms (e.g. memcache locking, a
different DB access API) by replacing portions of code in the
application.

A robust, community-developed standard implementations of a web 2.0
application using different technologies will enable developers to
compare and contrast these technologies in a manner that does not
exist today. By providing excellent sample implementations of a
concrete application that is available to everyone, we will enable
faster and easier application development for users. Although we list
three implementations in this proposal, we encourage others to come up
with many more using other language stacks and/or frameworks e.g.
Spring framework, Python etc.

Current Status
This is a new project with some sample not-ready-for-prime-time code.

Meritocracy
The initial developers are very familiar with meritocratic open source
development, both at Apache and elsewhere. Apache was chosen
specifically because the initial developers want to encourage this
style of development for the project.

Community
Olio seeks to create developer and user communities during incubation.

Core Developers
The initial core developers are Sun Microsystems, Inc. employees, and
faculty and students at UC Berkeley. We hope to expand this very
quickly.

Alignment
The developers of the Olio want to work with the Apache Software
Foundation specifically because Apache has proven to provide a strong
foundation and set of practices for community-based development.

Known RisksOrphaned products
This project has a lot of enthusiasm among the core developers, has
ongoing development, and is not orphaned.

Inexperience with Open Source
The initial developers are well-versed in open source methodologies
and practices.

Homogenous Developers
The initial group of developers is from two organizations. We would
like to expand this and that is a primary reason for bringing this
project to Apache.

Reliance on Salaried Developers
Although part of the initial development team are students, the core
developers are employed by Sun Microsystems.

Relationships with Other Apache Products
None in particular, except that Apache HTTPD is the most common place
to run PHP, and which the initial PHP implementation uses.

A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand
We believe in the processes, systems, and framework Apache has put in
place. The brand is nice, but is not why we wish to come to Apache.

DocumentationInitial Source
Sun Microsystems Inc. intends to donate code for their PHP
implementation of the sample events application as well as code to
drive load against the application. UC Berkeley intends to donate code
for the Ruby on Rails implementation.

This code is still a work in progress and will be provided primarily
as a starting place for a much more robust, community- developed
implementation.

External DependenciesRequired Resources
Developer mailing lists

Re: [VOTE] accept Olio into incubation

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

--kevan

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
2008/9/23 Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com>:
> Please vote on accepting Olio into incubation.

+1

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] accept Olio into incubation

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
+1 (as a mentor)

Regards,
-Rick

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.
+1 (as a mentor)

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
I realize I did not propose an end date for this vote.

Assuming no issues arise, I'll call the vote next Monday. Give
everyone the weekend to comment and vote.

Craig

Re: Wicket implementation re: [VOTE] accept Olio into incubation

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Craig,

Thanks.  Where is the code now?  Igor Vaynberg (from the Wicket
development team) and I (a lowly Wicket user :) are both interested in
working on a wicket implementation (hopefully together).  If we could
see what it currently entails, we may be able to get started.

It might be nice if Olio itself could provide some common "stuff"
(language-specific of course) that any implementation would need such
as perhaps some Repository/DAO interfaces and their implementations
using different technologies (hibernate, jdo, ibatis, jpa, cayenne,
etc.).  That way, creating an implementation using your web framework
of choice could just grab that stuff "off the shelf" and run with it.
If we use common code for some parts of the implementations, then we
take that variable out of the equation and we can see how the
frameworks themselves stack up against one another.  Perhaps even
setting up a web services-based implementation of the "domain" might
be a good way to keep it separated.  Just a thought.

I wouldn't mind helping out on Olio during incubation (and after
incubation).  I've never worked on an incubating project, but I am a
PMC member on Commons and I'm the PMC chair for HiveMind, so I have
some experience with the "apache way."  I'm not currently a member of
the Incubator PMC (I think I just have to ask to join, though).  Would
that help?

James

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi James,

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

(on both accounts: accept olio and add Wicket to the ticket)

Martijn

Apache Wicket 1.3.4 is released

Re: [VOTE] accept Olio into incubation

Posted by Shanti Subramanyam <Sh...@Sun.COM>.
That sounds great ! The goal of the project is certainly to encourage
implementations using different frameworks. What may make sense is for
interested folks to first evaluate the current application
implementations (unfortunately we don't have any docs yet - we're
working on it) and if it looks satisfactory (or after making
adjustments), we can hammer out a specification/requirements doc. This
will then aid anyone who wants to do an alternative implementation. We
can do this either during incubation or after graduation.

Shanti

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.