Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Gerd Michalke <gm...@tiscali.be> on 2006/01/20 12:05:15 UTC

Change language of an existing document

Hi,

Firs, I must say that Lenya rocks: we are using it in a 700+ company and it
works great: easy and fast.

Now to my question:

In our french speaking environment, some people have created documents in
english, wich means that we cannot "internal link" in documents created in
french.

Is it possible to change the language of an existing document ?

Thanks in advance,
G. Michalke

Re: Change language of an existing document

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Gerd Michalke wrote:

[...]

> In our french speaking environment, some people have created documents in
> english, wich means that we cannot "internal link" in documents created in
> french.
>
> Is it possible to change the language of an existing document ?

AFAIK this feature is not implemented in any publication that I know,
though that wouldn't be very hard.

Which option would you prefer?

1. implement the feature as a usecase (menu item)

2. stop the server, do it manually in the files, restart the server

3. create a new language version with the same content,
    delete the existing language version

4. batch processing (if you have many documents to manipulate)

Option (3) could actually work out of the box, depending on how your
publication is implemented.

-- Andreas

Re: Change language of an existing document

Posted by so...@apache.org.
On 1/20/06, Gerd Michalke <gm...@tiscali.be> wrote:
> In our french speaking environment, some people have created documents in
> english, which means that we cannot "internal link" in documents created in
> french.
>
> Is it possible to change the language of an existing document ?

I am uncertain what you are asking:
1. Do you want French versions of those documents?
2. Do you want to link to the English versions of those documents from
the French pages?
3. Do you need to fix the language specified for those documents?

#1 Just create the new documents using Create/New Language Version.

#2 Specify the language in the links: docid_en.html or docid_fr.html
so the links go to the existing language.  You could also use the
"language-exists" code to return the wrong language version if the
correct version does not exist.

#3 This is what your question implied and Andreas answered.
- The editors could fix these issues from the GUI.  Create the new
language version; copy the old version to the new version; translate
the old version to the correct language.
- For low quantities, I would use his #2 Manually fix the files.  Copy
the wrong "index_fr.html" to "index_en.html", and open the file to
change the dc:language tag.  Update sitetree.xml appropriately.
- As Andreas wrote, which method is best depends on how many documents
need to be fixed.  If there are hundreds, automating it would be best.

solprovider