Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2011/07/25 10:41:44 UTC

[compress] Planning the 1.2 Release

Hi all,

given that most discussion has only been started late last week, it has
been a bit unorganized and some things have moved during the weekend
I'll give it a bit more time to settle.

IMHO svn trunk is ready to be released and likely won't change except
for release notes, version numbers and other release preparations.  I
plan to cut an RC in about two days and call for a vote then.

If you think this is a bad idea, please yell.

I've read through the release guidelines and quickly glanced over the
UsingNexus wiki page (and shuddered at the thought of putting any sort
of password into a file, but that may be just me) so I hope I know what
I'll be doing.

There already is a branch in svn in branches/zip64 that I intend to work
on (by first switching to Java5) while we vote on the 1.2 release - if
anybody else wants to tackle Compress 1.3 stuff in parallel, you are
welcome, this is the place.

Once 1.2 has been published the branch will be reintegrated into trunk.

Stefan

Re: [compress] Planning the 1.2 Release

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 25 July 2011 16:23, Gary Gregory <gg...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 4:41 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> given that most discussion has only been started late last week, it has
>> been a bit unorganized and some things have moved during the weekend
>> I'll give it a bit more time to settle.
>>
>> IMHO svn trunk is ready to be released and likely won't change except
>> for release notes, version numbers and other release preparations.  I
>> plan to cut an RC in about two days and call for a vote then.
>>
>> If you think this is a bad idea, please yell.
>
> I think it is a great idea. Its warms up the product and your RM
> skills without too many other changes to trip you up.
>

>> I've read through the release guidelines and quickly glanced over the
>> UsingNexus wiki page (and shuddered at the thought of putting any sort
>> of password into a file, but that may be just me) so I hope I know what
>> I'll be doing.
>
> I have passwords in ~/.m2/settings.xml that look like:
>
> <password>{SgKSi4ieqA4H5....
>
> So they are not plain text. I recall passing other password on the M3
> CLI for my GPG stuff.

You can also use the settings-security.xml file to relocate the master
password to a removable disk, so only the encrypted passwords are
stored locally.

Posted by Gary Gregory <gg...@apache.org>.