Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> on 2020/07/08 06:54:16 UTC

[REPORT] Board report for Apache Avro June 2020

Hi folks!

Here's the report for the quarter I submitted. Let me know if there are any
last minute changes y'all would like to see.

----

Apache Avro is a data serialization system with a compact binary format. It is
used for storing and transporting schema driven serialized data. The unique
features of Avro include automatic schema resolution - when the reader's
expected schema is different from the actual schema with which the data was
serialized the data is automatically adapted to meet reader's requirements.

## Issues:
The project currently has no issues that require board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache Avro was founded 2010-04-20 (10 years ago)
There are currently 34 committers and 23 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 3:2.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Nándor Kollár on 2019-08-29.
- Kengo Seki was added as committer on 2020-07-08.

## Project Activity:
Apache Avro 1.10.0 was released on 2020-06-29. This is a new major release
from the project and most of our recent community work has been focused on it.
The release updates many dependencies, addressing multiple CVEs, as well as
introducing new features. For more details see the announcement:

https://s.apache.org/avro-1.10.0-announce

We added a new mailing list to get notifications about issue updates from
github.

## Numbers
For those who prefer metrics:

Mailing Lists:
 - dev@avro.apache.org had 1320 emails (28% increase)
 - user@avro.apache.org had 41 emails (55% decrease)
 - issues@avro.apache.org had 75 emails (new list)

JIRA:
 - 87 issues opened (24% decrease)
 - 112 issues closed (47% increase)

GitHub:
 - 73 PRs open (17% decrease)
 - 108 PRs closed (59% increase)

Code Repository:
 - 157 commits in the past quarter (29% increase)
 - 45 code contributors in the past quarter (80% increase)

## Community Health:
Community health is doing well at drawing in contributions. The PMC still
needs to work to encourage repeat contributions and to recognize contributors
through committership.

Re: [REPORT] Board report for Apache Avro June 2020

Posted by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@driesprong.frl>.
Looks good! Also a valid point on the Community Health.

Cheers, Fokko