Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/21 09:35:01 UTC

Re: Branch for 1.3

Hi folks,

bringing this topic up again. I'm planning to start spinning 1.3 builds and
see if/where they break in a week or two, and (depending on how it does)
start preparing RCs in a month or maybe two. So, let's see where we are.

Big items first. There were long debates around three big items - MOBs,
Spark connector and RS groups, whether we should have them or not.

 - MOBs
I believe we decided that they aren't going to go in branch-1, and hence
not in branch-1.3 for sure. We might get back to that debate and
re-consider MOBs for branch-1 if 2.0 is delayed, but almost certainly they
won't make it in 1.3 timeframe anyway as I feel.

- Spark connector - HBASE-14160 it looks like it has 3 subtasks open, one
of which is big one (HBASE-14375) - define public API for Spark
integration. From the Jira looks like active work is happening on other
subtasks, but not on this one. So how's public API going? How stable it is?
Who would want to have Spark in 1.3 and willing to help with this? OTOH -
who has objections about back-porting it? Has anyone been using it in some
real environment?

 - RS groups - there was recently a thread about them, I'd like to bring it
up again and get to some conclusion.

Other features which we had in flight a month ago -

 - HBASE-15181 - date based tiered compactions has landed
 - HBASE-11290 - unlock RegionStates. I'm afraid the codebase has moved
forward quite a bit since the benchmark was run on this change :( - Francis
- are you using it now? If we could have some benchmarks on the latest
rebase that I think would be great.

 - HBASE-13557 - special handling for system tables WALs - should we still
keep it targeted for 1.3?
 - HBASE-13017 - keep table state in meta, this one doesn't look like it's
going to make it in

As a new item on my list - I'm looking forward to see more of HBASE-15492
(memory optimizations) subtasks to go in branch-1.

Thanks!
Mikhail

Michael Antonov

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> At this point branch-1.3 is very close (if different from at all) to
> branch-1, so that's probably the same discussion.

Fair enough. Is the previous discussion and documented gates (along with
Andrew's assertion of users) sufficient?

--
busbey

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
FWIW, I'd like to see the Spark connector get in. We have users who will be
interested in it.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > would be good to get any possible improvements in 1.3 as well, as long as
> > they are stable, IMO.
> >
> > -Mikhail
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > You may want to track
> > as
> > > a parent for date-tiered compaction improvements. Current compaction
> > policy
> > > is useful in its own, but handling existing data, bulk loading etc will
> > be
> > > improved with these subtasks. I think the patches can land before the
> 1.3
> > > timeframe, but of course open for discussion for inclusion. My vote
> would
> > > be to include all the improvements since it would be easier to tell the

Michael Antonov

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

--
busbey

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > >  - HBASE-11290 - unlock RegionStates. I'm afraid the codebase has moved
> > > forward quite a bit since the benchmark was run on this change :( -
> > Francis
> > > - are you using it now? If we could have some benchmarks on the latest
> > > rebase that I think would be great.
> > >

> > >  - HBASE-13557 - special handling for system tables WALs - should we
> > still
> > > keep it targeted for 1.3?
> > >  - HBASE-13017 - keep table state in meta, this one doesn't look like
> > it's
> > > going to make it in
> > >
> > > As a new item on my list - I'm looking forward to see more of
> HBASE-15492
> > > (memory optimizations) subtasks to go in branch-1.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > Mikhail
> > >
> > > On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 10:53 AM, Andrew Purtell <

Michael Antonov

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by 张铎 <pa...@gmail.com>.
At least include HBASE-15400 in 1.3 please...
Otherwise these things can only be integrated in 1.4 since DTCP can not be
used together with DefaultStoreEngine after HBASE-15400 getting in.

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.