Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bjarne Grönnevik <Bj...@netent.com> on 2013/09/05 09:37:32 UTC

SilkSVN client crashing

Hi

I'm scripting svn via a Python Script and as you can see in the run-log.txt, svn seems to fail at random occasions(see crash logs). Or at least for reasons unknown to me.

And as the error message suggest helping out by mailing here, I did.

Svn version is: svn, version 1.8.1-SlikSvn-1.8.1-X64 (SlikSvn/1.8.1) X64, compiled Aug 26 2013, 16:52:34 on x86_64/x86-microsoft-windows6.1.7601

Os is: Windows 7 Enterprice, 64-bit, Service Pack 1

/Bjarne

Bjarne Grönnevik

Client Developer

Net Entertainment NE AB, Luntmakargatan 18, SE-111 37, Stockholm, SE
T: +46 709 124 588, M: +46 709 124 588, F: +46 8 578 545 10
bjarne.gronnevik@netent.com www.netent.com

Better Games

This email and the information it contains are confidential and may be legally privileged and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify me immediately. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. You should not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person. Internet communications are not secure and, therefore, Net Entertainment does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message as it has been transmitted over a public network. If you suspect the message may have been intercepted or amended please call me. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. Thank you.

Re: SilkSVN client crashing

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com>.
On 13 October 2013 12:37, Yuval E. <gy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ivan Zhakov-2 wrote
>> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Ivan Zhakov &lt;
>
>> ivan@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM, Bjarne Grönnevik
>>> &lt;
>
>> Bjarne.Gronnevik@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>> [moving to
>
>> dev@.a
>
>> ]

>>> Bert Huijben found very easy way to reproduce this problem:
>>> [On Windows]
>>>
>>> 1. svn log http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf --limit 100 | more
>>> 2. Then press 'q'
>>>
>>> Client crashes.
>>>
>>> I can reproduce it with trunk and 1.8.x (debug build).
>>>
>>> The problem that we get ERROR_NO_DATA from fflush() call in
>>> svn_cmdline_fflush() when 'more' quits due 'q' key. Then svn_error_t
>>> with apr_err = ERROR_NO_DATA passed through layers to serf. For some
>>> reason APR_STATUS_IS_EAGAIN(ERROR_NO_DATA) is true, so serf just
>>> ignores this error and wait for more data from network. Next chunk
>>> received and ra_serf parser called again despite that parser returned
>>> error and doesn't expect to be called again. Crash itself happens
>>> because it accesses already cleared error, but the real problem that
>>> xml parser should not be invoked.
>>>
>>> There are several problems here:
>>> 1. Why APR considers ERROR_NO_DATA as EAGAIN. I've posted question to
>>> dev@apr mailing list [1]
>>>
>>> 2. ra_serf passes arbitrary errors to serf, while serf threats APR_EOF
>>> and APR_EAGAIN as special value. We should not doing this.
>>>

>> Filed as issue #4425. Fixed this specific case in r1522892, but
>> problem that arbitrary errors are passed to serf from xml parser is
>> not fixed yet.
>>
>> --
>> Ivan Zhakov
>> CTO | VisualSVN | http://www.visualsvn.com
>
> I'm experiencing a similar problem with SlikSVN 1.8.3:
> svn, version 1.8.3-SlikSvn-1.8.3-WIN32 (SlikSvn/1.8.3) WIN32
>    compiled Sep 16 2013, 13:42:00 on x86-microsoft-windows6.1.7601
>
> However, in my case pressing 'q' doesn't crash the client immediately -
> instead it just freezes. When I eventually hit Ctrl-C, it crashes.
> I get the same results if I pipe into 'head -n 1' instead of 'more'.
>
> Is this likely due to the same root cause as #4425, or should I report it as
> a new issue?

It looks like the same issue.

Re: SilkSVN client crashing

Posted by "Yuval E." <gy...@gmail.com>.
Ivan Zhakov-2 wrote
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Ivan Zhakov &lt;

> ivan@

> &gt; wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM, Bjarne Grönnevik
>> &lt;

> Bjarne.Gronnevik@

> &gt; wrote:
>> [moving to

> dev@.a

> ]
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I’m scripting svn via a Python Script and as you can see in the
>>> run-log.txt,
>>> svn seems to fail at random occasions(see crash logs). Or at least for
>>> reasons unknown to me.
>>>
>>> And as the error message suggest helping out by mailing here, I did.
>>>
>>> Svn version is: svn, version 1.8.1-SlikSvn-1.8.1-X64 (SlikSvn/1.8.1)
>>> X64,
>>> compiled Aug 26 2013, 16:52:34 on x86_64/x86-microsoft-windows6.1.7601
>>>
>>> Os is: Windows 7 Enterprice, 64-bit, Service Pack 1
>>>
>> Bert Huijben found very easy way to reproduce this problem:
>> [On Windows]
>>
>> 1. svn log http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf --limit 100 | more
>> 2. Then press 'q'
>>
>> Client crashes.
>>
>> I can reproduce it with trunk and 1.8.x (debug build).
>>
>> The problem that we get ERROR_NO_DATA from fflush() call in
>> svn_cmdline_fflush() when 'more' quits due 'q' key. Then svn_error_t
>> with apr_err = ERROR_NO_DATA passed through layers to serf. For some
>> reason APR_STATUS_IS_EAGAIN(ERROR_NO_DATA) is true, so serf just
>> ignores this error and wait for more data from network. Next chunk
>> received and ra_serf parser called again despite that parser returned
>> error and doesn't expect to be called again. Crash itself happens
>> because it accesses already cleared error, but the real problem that
>> xml parser should not be invoked.
>>
>> There are several problems here:
>> 1. Why APR considers ERROR_NO_DATA as EAGAIN. I've posted question to
>> dev@apr mailing list [1]
>>
>> 2. ra_serf passes arbitrary errors to serf, while serf threats APR_EOF
>> and APR_EAGAIN as special value. We should not doing this.
>>

> Filed as issue #4425. Fixed this specific case in r1522892, but
> problem that arbitrary errors are passed to serf from xml parser is
> not fixed yet.
>
> --
> Ivan Zhakov
> CTO | VisualSVN | http://www.visualsvn.com

I'm experiencing a similar problem with SlikSVN 1.8.3:
svn, version 1.8.3-SlikSvn-1.8.3-WIN32 (SlikSvn/1.8.3) WIN32
   compiled Sep 16 2013, 13:42:00 on x86-microsoft-windows6.1.7601

However, in my case pressing 'q' doesn't crash the client immediately -
instead it just freezes. When I eventually hit Ctrl-C, it crashes.
I get the same results if I pipe into 'head -n 1' instead of 'more'.

Is this likely due to the same root cause as #4425, or should I report it as
a new issue?

Thanks,
Yuval

Re: SilkSVN client crashing

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com>.

Re: SilkSVN client crashing

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com>.
[moving to dev@s.a.o]

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/apr-dev/201309.mbox/%3CCABw-3YfNKWfHrjPKxPF_BoUKOyG05KTxP-rEh0oW2fVa4NGShA%40mail.gmail.com%3E

--
Ivan Zhakov

RE: SilkSVN client crashing

Posted by Bjarne Grönnevik <Bj...@netent.com>.
Hi Bert

Sure, I'll attempt to provoke it with that version.
Get back to you soon with the results.

/Bjarne

bjarne.gronnevik@netent.com<ma...@netent.com> www.netent.com<http://www.netent.com>

RE: SilkSVN client crashing

Posted by Bjarne Grönnevik <Bj...@netent.com>.
Well, I'm running everything I know about in English so I guess that should not be a problem, right?

/B

Posted by "Albertsen, Ketil" <Ke...@nordicsemi.no>.

RE: SilkSVN client crashing

Posted by Bjarne Grönnevik <Bj...@netent.com>.
Hi there,

RE: SilkSVN client crashing

Posted by Bjarne Grönnevik <Bj...@netent.com>.
Hi again,

RE: SilkSVN client crashing

 <ma...@netent.com> bjarne.gronnevik@netent.com
<http://www.netent.com> www.netent.com

Better Games

This email and the information it contains are confidential and may be
legally privileged and intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify me immediately. Please note that any views or opinions
necessarily represent those of the company. You should not copy it for any
purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person. Internet
communications are not secure and, therefore, Net Entertainment does not
accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message as it has been
transmitted over a public network. If you suspect the message may have been
intercepted or amended please call me. Finally, the recipient should check
this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company
email. Thank you.

RE: SilkSVN client crashing

RE: SilkSVN client crashing

Posted by Bert Huijben <be...@qqmail.nl>.