Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by lawrence <la...@esweeties.com> on 2005/04/24 18:28:23 UTC

snmp and Nagios

Hi all,

New to the tomcat list.

I have spent the last few days searching the net for ideas on how to monitor tomcat via SNMP.
I am trying to gather information like:
Number of sessions per minute.
Number of spare threads etc.

Basically I am trying to get over all health of the tomcat servers(s)

The trick is, I am trying to trap this information with my monitoring server (Nagios) so I can alert on it and have all my monitoring in a central location.

Can anyone give me any pointers, solutions, examples for this? I have not been able to come up with many “Open Source” solutions.

Thanks
Lawrence.

Posted by Just another UFO mechanic <os...@ufomechanic.net>.
Check out this new to the 1.5 JRE this will help with the memory and GC
stuff.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/management/SNMP.html

Fantastic well done SUN

The manager app on tomcat can give you the session data but if you want
the data through a network mgmt tool typically the best way is through
SNMP which you could install a SNMP agent on your machines and then
write scripts that run off you own MIB. Thats quite difficult to do.

How about do wget on the manager app and a bit of perl/sh to parse what
comes out you should be able to put that into a Event LOG in the DB.

Re: snmp and Nagios

Posted by "Robert r. Sanders" <ro...@ipov.net>.
A quick search of google for "jmx snmp" found this:
http://edge.mcs.drexel.edu/GICL/people/sevy/snmp/snmp.html

lawrence wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>New to the tomcat list.
>
>I have spent the last few days searching the net for ideas on how to monitor tomcat via SNMP.
>I am trying to gather information like:
>Number of sessions per minute.
>Number of spare threads etc.
>
>Basically I am trying to get over all health of the tomcat servers(s)
>
>The trick is, I am trying to trap this information with my monitoring server (Nagios) so I can alert on it and have all my monitoring in a central location.
>
>Can anyone give me any pointers, solutions, examples for this? I have not been able to come up with many “Open Source” solutions.
>
>Thanks
>Lawrence.

    Robert r. Sanders
    Chief Technologist