Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net> on 2010/02/25 10:56:01 UTC

Re: why we should have a 10.04 standalone framework release

I am for standalone framework. David has been working on that project
for a while, if I remember correctly.

#2 bothers me though. The design of ofbiz was that the entity was the
controlling factor for creating DB and UI. I was one of the major
reasons I came to ofbiz.
That said, any work that wants to be done on UI integration that makes
ofbiz look classy, I think should be the focus.
A lot of work has been done in that area.
But integrating other UI interfaces that keep the design idea of the
entity being to controlling focus is what I would like to see.

I don't see ofbiz being object oriented in the normal sense.

I see the effort for the help files and a easily understood UI from the
user point of view being the main factors in promoting ofbiz.

Chris Snow sent the following on 2/24/2010 10:47 PM:

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
A long time ago I did work on this, but I haven't for years. The topic has come up a few times, and I like the idea, which is why in my more recent effort I'm starting with an independent framework (Moqui) that will never have applications in the same project that it might depend on.

There have been a few reviews and efforts here and there to make the framework independent again, ie to be fully functional without the applications components in place. I'm not aware of anyone working on that now. Right now it seems like the goal that is presenting a challenge is to avoid new dependencies from the framework components to the applications components.

Perhaps someday this will become a priority again in the community, but the fact of the matter is that people work on and contribute things that are of interest or use to them, and this state of things means simply that not enough people who are willing to contribute find a use or interest in this... :)

-David

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Do you think if it was made clear that in packages, org.ofbiz.(module)
in the java docs would effectively give you the individual "API" of that
module, would help?
http://ci.apache.org/projects/ofbiz/site/javadocs/
or after the change
http://ci.apache.org/projects/ofbiz/site/javadocs/10.04/

chris snow sent the following on 9/18/2010 1:39 PM:

Posted by james_sg <sn...@hotmail.com>.
Hi David,

Thanks for the correction.

- james

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
the discussion about separating the framework came before version 4.0
was David's effort that separated the application and created the
framework folder.
And yes to garner interest in ofbiz the Ecommerce Application as well as
the Engineering were added. If you have read the Data Model books Vol II
you will see they are considered secondary application.
It took me  a year to seperate the "frame work" in ver 3.0.
mostly because of the learning curve and lack of documentation.

However it is possible even more so with Trunk.
The problem is every is not on the same page as to what would be in the
Trunk.

That said, if you follow the commits you will see others are gradually
cleaning up the dependencies, so there will be a Frame work stand alone
at some point.

Considering the Scope of ofbiz it seems to be a "normal" progression for
a community based project.

Shi Jinghai sent the following on 9/19/2010 6:50 AM:

Posted by Shi Jinghai <sh...@langhua.cn>.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
James,

Posted by james_sg <sn...@hotmail.com>.
Hi BJ,

Posted by james_sg <sn...@hotmail.com>.
Just to add on to point 6. Since the entity in Cayenne can be
programmatically construct, it should be possible to read OFBiz's entity
files.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Might I suggest Setup method.
have a group "System Setup"

Bruno Busco sent the following on 9/18/2010 1:11 PM:

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.
That's my idea also.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.
--- On Sat, 9/18/10, chris snow <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi BJ, there are parts of ofbiz that
> could be 'easily' used outside of
> ofbiz if they weren't all part of the same code base.
> The Entity
> Engine example is one part that could become a
> library.  Other parts
> include the datatype coverters and temporal
> expressions.  At the
> moment if I want to use these parts of ofbiz in external
> applications,
> I have to manually extract them from the ofbiz code base.

Actually, the conversion framework is a separate library:

http://commons.apache.org/sandbox/convert/

> The framework would then be an assembly of libraries. By
> splitting
> ofbiz up, each library (entity engine, converters,
> temporal
> expressions, etc) could be developed independently of the
> rest of the
> ofbiz code.

Someone had suggested some time ago in a similar discussion that the OFBiz framework itself could be condensed down to a single jar file.

-Adrian

Re: why we should have a 10.04 standalone framework release

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Thanks for the taking the time to explain.

So you planning a seperate project?
I don't see the  business need for distribution in this environment of
just the Jars, for the framework.

I could see them in another environment that is not directly related to
this project(svn).

chris snow sent the following on 9/18/2010 2:42 AM:

Posted by Ken Gunderson <kg...@teamcool.net>.
On Sat, 2010-09-18 at 10:42 +0100, chris snow wrote:
> Hi BJ, there are parts of ofbiz that could be 'easily' used outside of
> ofbiz if they weren't all part of the same code base.  The Entity
> Engine example is one part that could become a library.  Other parts
> include the datatype coverters and temporal expressions.  At the
> moment if I want to use these parts of ofbiz in external applications,
> I have to manually extract them from the ofbiz code base.
>
> The framework would then be an assembly of libraries. By splitting
> ofbiz up, each library (entity engine, converters, temporal
> expressions, etc) could be developed independently of the rest of the
> ofbiz code.  Do you want me do list the advantages of this approach?

Nope.  But it might be nice if:

1) Everyone stopped top posting so that ofbiz newbies could more easily
follow the chronology of discussion threads.

2) You listed the disadvantages of your approach.

Thank you and have a nice day;)

--
Ken Gunderson <kg...@teamcool.net>

Re: why we should have a 10.04 standalone framework release

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
to give you an example, when first came to ofbiz and had many DB based
projects. They already had a data model i had develop over 10 years.
so I did not use the applications or data model, that ofbiz had. I
induced my data from the db into entity defs and converted the code I
had into entity and service engines using the minilanq and java.

BJ Freeman sent the following on 9/18/2010 2:02 AM:

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by james_sg <sn...@hotmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Scott, it was just an example. The point I was trying to make is that by
making the entity engine a separate module, the implementation doesn't
matter as long as the entity engine module fullfilled its api contract.  One
of the benefits of this modular approach is that it would enable developers
or are interested in working on the entity engine could do so without having
to first isolate the persistence code from the configuration code.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Entity and service are seperate modules as they stand now.
I would branch and leave ofbiz if the entity module was removed.
it and how it relates to db and UI is why I came to ofbiz.
I rejected hibernate and want nothing to do with them.

=========================
BJ Freeman  <http://bjfreeman.elance.com>
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man
chris snow sent the following on 9/17/2010 6:32 AM:

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by james_sg <sn...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi James,

Posted by james_sg <sn...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Bruno,

My opinions as below:

For now, I will call the standalone framework as framework project and the
rest of the components as applications project.

1. As the current framework embeds servlet container like Tomcat and Jetty,
codes related to servlet containers stay with the standalone framework.

2. Webtools and Example should be in the framework project.

2. Party application shouldn't be in framework. But it can be decoupled from
the rest of the applications.

3. It is also alrite for Party application to reference other applications
like Order, but
    a. links to other application, should be disabled in realtime if the
other application component is not loaded.
    b. the framework should inject scripts (like css and js) into the header
(similar to what wicket and click framework is doing) if screens from other
application is used. Likewise, if screens from other application are called
without the applications being loaded, the framework should provide some
useful screen messages when the screen is loaded.

4. The application project should contain the compiled framework without its
source code. In the long run, it should be easy to simply drop the framework
into the applications project, or the applications project into the
framework.

5. Themes can go with the framework with a default theme, and the rest as
adds-on.

6. The framework project can have more frequent releases than the
application project, while keeping the goals for the framework project in
alignment with the applications project as what currently is.

- james

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
We (Erwan and me mostly) did some work to remove existing dependencies from the Example component there are still some but very easy
to remove

Also note this page https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/Component+and+Component+Set+Dependencies

I think we should group all pages (with Chris's) under a main page in Wiki (though I already tried to link them with links from each
page to the other, but it's not good enough. It's like when you relate issues in Jira, it helps but is not clearly seen by
everybody)

And have a hat Jira issue as well because of
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-1867 existing also.

My 2cts

Jacques

From: "Bruno Busco" <br...@gmail.com>