Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/17 14:03:51 UTC

NB 11 crashes on Mac

This is about the 3rd or 4th time NB11 (the vc4 unofficial installer
pointed to from NB download page) has crashed while I'm not using it.  The
macOS dialog that comes up just lets me send a crash report to Apple.  Is
it worthwhile to retrieve the crash report from somewhere (where?) and
copy/paste it into a Jira ticket I can write on NB?  Given that it was a
hard crash (core dump?), is there some other place I should look for more
Java/NB specific crash info?

Again, I wasn't even using Netbeans - it was either iconified or sitting
behind some other window.  Also, each time it happened after I disconnected
from external monitors (NB was displaying to one of them), closed my Mac,
opened the Mac at home (with no external monitors), closed, and then
re-opened at work after reconnecting the external monitors.  Crash happened
awhile later (1hr?).  Again, I hadn't used NB since before the disconnect
from the external monitors.  Hope this helps.

Tom

--
tjwolf@gmail.com
http://landofwolf.blogspot.com/

Re: NB 11 crashes on Mac

Posted by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Wade.  Next time this happens, I will be sure to copy/paste the
entire JVM stack trace that gets shown when "Report..." is selected.
That'll at least tell us if it's the same 2d bug.
tom

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 3:11 PM Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>
wrote:

> [...]
> sure whether NB 11 is to blame or the JRE.  When I switched from NB 8.2 to
> NB 11, I also switched from a Java 8 VM to a Java 11 VM - maybe it's a bug
> in the VM.  When a VM crashes on a Mac, does it produce a core dump
> somewhere?
>
> Thnx,
> Tom
>
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 2:08 PM Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> If you can provide a way for the problem to be reproduced, or the log
>> files exactly at the moment where the crash happens, we can try to
>> investigate.
>>
>> But if I understand it correctly, this only happens after you’re using
>> multiple monitors, switching things off, switching things on, leaving work,
>> coming home, switching off and on, and a few other things like that?
>>
>> Gj
>>
>> On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 at 13:36, Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Geertjan,
>>> This was a crash of the NB JVM, so I didn't think NB would have had an
>>> opportunity to write anything before it croaked.  But I went to Application
>>> Support/NetBeans/11.0/var/log and checked there to see if there was the
>>> equivalent of a core dump.  But just the messages.  Since  I had restarted
>>> NB since the crash, I looked in messages.log.1 to see if there were any
>>> messages prior to the crash.  Looking back a couple hundred lines back from
>>> the end of the log, I see:
>>>           WARNING
>>> [org.netbeans.modules.javascript2.editor.formatter.FormatContext]: Tried to
>>> remove EOL
>>>           WARNING [null]: Last record repeated again.
>>>           WARNING [null]: Last record repeated again.
>>>
>>> followed by 167 WARNING messages like this:
>>>           WARNING
>>> [org.netbeans.modules.editor.bracesmatching.MasterMatcher]: Origin offsets
>>> out of range, origin = [671, 698], caretOffset = 727,
>>>           lookahead = 1, searching forward. Offending BracesMatcher:
>>> org.netbeans.modules.html.editor.HtmlBracesMatching@1293bde1
>>>
>>> with only the coordinates & the caretOffset changing.  Followed by the
>>> WARNING message:
>>>           WARNING [org.netbeans.modules.versioning.util.Utils]:
>>> associateEncoding() no file object available for
>>>
>>> /var/folders/gz/86n0ss0j65q2v4mk50wfnx8h0000gn/T/vcs-1555092873422/vcs-1555362477084/index.html
>>>
>>> followed by the WARNING message:
>>>           WARNING [org.netbeans.core.TimableEventQueue]: too much time
>>> in AWT thread null
>>>
>>> followed by three WARNING messages like this one:
>>>           WARNING [org.netbeans.core.TimableEventQueue]: too much time
>>> in AWT thread org.netbeans.modules.sampler.InternalSampler@662b36a1
>>>
>>> That's it.  Since there are no time stamps on any of these entries, I
>>> have no idea whether these happened just before the crash or hours/days
>>> before.  Is there anywhere else I should/could be looking for clues?  Is
>>> this info enough to go on to open a Jira ticket?

>>> Tom

Re: NB 11 crashes on Mac

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.
See this too https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6cea044b220876ef9eba9068e3ec28bb8283e116b65e3ea4078af9c1@%3Cusers.netbeans.apache.org%3E <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6cea044b220876ef9eba9068e3ec28bb8283e116b65e3ea4078af9c1@%3Cusers.netbeans.apache.org%3E>

Re: NB 11 crashes on Mac

Posted by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com>.

Re: NB 11 crashes on Mac

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.