Posted to user@flink.apache.org by amran dean <ad...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/18 21:53:04 UTC

Flink configuration at runtime

Is it possible to configure certain settings at runtime, on a per-job basis
rather than globally within flink-conf.yaml?

For example, I have a job where it's desirable to retain a large number of
checkpoints via
state.checkpoints.num-retained.

The checkpoints are cheap, and it's low cost. For other jobs, I don't want
such a large number.

Re: Flink configuration at runtime

Posted by Zhu Zhu <re...@gmail.com>.
Hi Amran,

Some configs, including "state.checkpoints.num-retained", are cluster
configs that always apply to the entire Flink cluster.
An alternative is to use per-job mode if you are running Flink jobs on
k8s/docker or yarn. Thus to create a Flink cluster for a single job.

[1]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.9/ops/deployment/docker.html#flink-job-cluster
[2]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.9/ops/deployment/yarn_setup.html#run-a-single-flink-job-on-yarn

Thanks,
Zhu Zhu

amran dean <ad...@gmail.com> 于2019年11月19日周二 上午5:53写道:

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Hi Amran,
thanks a lot for your message.

I think this is a valid feature request. I've created a JIRA ticket to
track it: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-14856 (this does not
mean this gets addressed immediately. However, there are currently quite
some improvements to the configuration system in Flink, as part of FLIP-59
and FLIP-81)

Best,
Robert

Posted by vino yang <ya...@gmail.com>.