Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Colin Chalmers <co...@maxware.nl> on 2002/02/15 15:07:31 UTC

PATCH - documentation. Turbine & VAJ IDE

Hi,

This is a how-to doc on getting turbine to work under VAJ. The original info
was borrowed from the Cactus site.

I just have one problem with the xdocs which perhaps someone else can fix
before commiting, I've tried to show the content of specific config files
which are in xml format and after translation to html their not being
represented properly. Otherwise everything should work

I've got two colleagues who will be trying it out next week so I'll fix any
discrepencies they find and post a new Xdocs (if needed) after that.

Could someone check it in for me please.

/colin

  <?xml version="1.0"?>

<document>
  <header>
    <title>VAJava and WebSphere Test Environment</title>
    <authors>
      <person name="Colin Chalmers" email="Colin.Chalmers@maxware.nl"/>
    </authors>
  </header>

    <section name="Forewords and Requirements">

        This tutorial explains how to run Turbine within VisualAge for
        Java WebSphere Test Environment.
        This tutorial works with VAJava 3.5.2 and 3.5.3. Please tell us if
you
        find that it works with other versions.

    </section>

    <section name="Step 1 : Import the correct packages in VAJava">

        Let's assume the following conventions :
you
        have unzipped the Turbine distribution or sources and
        VAJava is installed. Let's also define <strong><code>{WTE
dir}</code>
        </strong> to be the WebSphere Test Environment directories, i.e.
        <code>{VAJava dir}/ide/project_resources/IBM WebSphere Test
        Environment</code>.

        You need to create a project : Turbine

        Import into Turbine project all JARS/SRC associated with the
specific
        Turbine release

    </section>

    <section name="Step 2 : Modify WebSphere Test Environment">

      <section name="Edit default.servlet_engine">

          Edit <code>{WTE dir}/properties/default.servlet_engine</code> and
          add the following under the <code>default_app</code> webgroup :

<source><![CDATA[
    <websphere-webgroup name="turbine">
       <description>Turbine Application Framework</description>
       <document-root>$approot$/web</document-root>
       <classpath>$approot$/servlets</classpath>
       <root-uri>/turbine</root-uri>
       <auto-reload enabled="true" polling-interval="3000"/>
       <shared-context>false</shared-context>
    </websphere-webgroup>
]]></source>

      </section>

      <section name="Create a turbine directory">

          Create a directory called <code>turbine</code> under
          <code>{WTE dir}/hosts/default_host</code>. Under
<code>turbine</code>
          create another 2 subdirectories : <code>servlets</code> and
          <code>web</code>.

 Create the following directories (which is similiar to the TDK
distribution)
 under the web directory.
 <li> images </li>
 <li> logs </li>
 <li> resources</li>
 <li> stylesheets</li>
 <li> templates</li>
 <li> WEB-INF/conf</li>
        Copy the TurbineResource.properties file to the "WEB-INF/conf"
directory. The templates,
        logs etc. directories are quite self explanetory I think.

      </section>

      <section name="Create a turbine.webapp file">

          Create a <code>turbine.webapp</code> file in
          <code>{WTE dir}/host/default_app/servlets</code> and put the
following
          content :
<source><![CDATA[
<webapp>
   <name>turbine</name>
   <description>Turbine Application Framework</description>
   <error-page>/ErrorReporter</error-page>

   <servlet>
      <name>turbine</name>
      <description>Turbine Application Framework</description>
      <code>org.apache.turbine.Turbine</code>
      <servlet-path>/ServletRedirector</servlet-path>
      <autostart>true</autostart>
   </servlet>
 </webapp>
]]></source>

      </section>

    </section>

    <section name="Step 3 : Edit VAJava workspace classpath">

        In the WebSphere Test Environment under Servlet Engine, add Turbine
to the classpath.

    </section>
</document>

Re: PATCH - documentation. Turbine & VAJ IDE

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 14:05, Colin Chalmers wrote:
> Hi jason,
>
> Here it is. I've also got Turbine working under Websphere; Standard version
> as a Servlet plus Enterprise version from Beans etc. I'll see if I can get
> that info into an Xdoc as well.

Cool, thanks.

> /colin

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: PATCH - documentation. Turbine & VAJ IDE

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 02:15, Colin Chalmers wrote:
> Haven't seen it yet, was wondering what the status was myself. Jason?

The formatting came out poorly in the transfer which is why I haven't
put it in. Does anyone know of an XML pretty printer. For now Colin just
send it to me as an attachment.

> /Colin

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: PATCH - documentation. Turbine & VAJ IDE

Posted by Colin Chalmers <co...@maxware.nl>.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Did this make it into CVS yet?