Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by "Taylor, Ronald C" <ro...@pnl.gov> on 2009/04/09 00:10:03 UTC

What's the best way to clear an Hbase table?

Hi,

New question: I just tried clearing a table, going row by row, using
deleteAll(rowID) on each row. This works, but takes a really long amount
of  time when used on ~250,000 rows  (at least in pseudo-distributed
mode, running on just one desktop). Also, while it appears to work fine,
this method generates a huge amount of text in the Hadoop datanode log
file - something approaching 100 Meg across the 250,000 rows deleted.

Is there a better / faster way to clear a table? Or should I "clear" a
table simply by disabling it, deleting it, and then using createTable()
again with the original column settings?

Ron

Re: What's the best way to clear an Hbase table?

Posted by Lars George <la...@worldlingo.com>.
Hi Ron,

Just as a note, the shell's "truncate" call does exactly that, i.e.
dropping and recreating the table.

Regards,
Lars

Posted by "Taylor, Ronald C" <ro...@pnl.gov>.