Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Michael Tobias <mt...@btinternet.com.INVALID> on 2020/01/03 01:24:05 UTC

Running Solr 4.8.1 as a 64 bit Windows Service

Hi guys

We are still running Solr 4.8.1 (Bitnami Windows version) and cannot upgrade
at this time.

Everything has worked fine for a year running as a 32 bit windows service
(Windows Server 2012R2) but we are now experiencing dreadful memory issues -
the JVM is being exhausted and I cannot do any sizeable updates.

We have added RAM to the server and I want to move to 64 bit java to take
advantage of the increased RAM. BUT I am having real problems.  Either the
service refuses to start or I can get it started but it won't load my two
cores.  There was also a java error about java 8 not supporting the
MaxPermSize parameter.. So I have reverted to 32 bit and Solr runs fine for
searches but I cannot do updates to the cores.

Can anybody with experience of this please assist?

Regards

Michael

Re: Running Solr 4.8.1 as a 64 bit Windows Service

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Have you tried just removing the startup param for MaxPermSize? That’s not something
that Solr _requires_, it’s a recommendation for the version you’re running though. That
said, there are about a zillion memory tuning parameters you can set, be prepared for
an adventure.

As to why you’re experiencing memory pressure in the first place, there’s another
zillion possibilities. One of the biggest is whether fields you try to facet, group, or
sort on have docValues set. Although that  won’t particularly help unless you’re on a
64 bit JVM and can use the MMapDirectory implementation (which is automatic if
you don’t override), see:
https://blog.thetaphi.de/2012/07/use-lucenes-mmapdirectory-on-64bit.html

That’ll move a huge amount of your index, _especially_ if you have correctly
specified docValues for the relevant fields out into the OS memory space.

So there’s no reason you can’t run Solr under 64 bit operating system, and
every reason you should so there’s something about your setup that’s incorrect
I’d guess.

NOTE: if you change the schema, you _must_ re-index from scratch, preferably
into a new core.

Finally, you mention multiple cores. Assuming you can’t get the 64 bit thing to
work, is there any possibility of moving the cores to separate machines?

Best,
Erick