Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Kobayashi Noritada <no...@dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp> on 2005/10/27 03:12:07 UTC

Translated version of the Release Notes?

Hi,

I have a question.
Are there any plans to have official www pages translated in languages
other than English?
I mean, I've translated svn_1.3_releasenotes.html into Japanese, which
can be available at
http://dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~nori1/tmp/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html.ja
temporarily, and I'd like to know whether I can put it in the official
repository or not.
Another repository, http://svn.red-bean.com/svnbook/ , seems to be
specialized for the Subversion book and not one for translating documents
in the Subversion's own repository, http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn , as far.

IMHO translations may go into the repository if they specify with some
format what revisions of original files they are against, so that readers
can know whether those translations are up-to-date or not.
In that case, the compared original files should have revision keywords
embeded inside.
Of course, however, there is an option that the Subversion Project do not
provide translated documents officially.

This is only my opinion.
I'd like to know how other developers/translators thinks.

Regards,

-nori

Re: Translated version of the Release Notes?

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Sjoerd Tieleman wrote:

> On 27 Oct 2005, at 05:12, Kobayashi Noritada wrote:
>
> >I have a question.
> >Are there any plans to have official www pages translated in languages
> >other than English?
> >I mean, I've translated svn_1.3_releasenotes.html into Japanese, which
> >can be available at
> >http://dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~nori1/tmp/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html.ja
> >temporarily, and I'd like to know whether I can put it in the official
> >repository or not.

I wouldn't mind seeing this translation in the main repository.  With the
appropriate MultiViews-style file extension (as you have above), some
versions of CEE will even serve this file up automatically based on your
browser language preferences.

> Uhm, this is not exactly an answer to your question (actually, it's not
> an answer at all), but for your (translated) release notes to be valid
> (X)HTML you really should specify a character encoding using the <meta>
> tag. Especially if you are using a somewhat lesser used encoding.
> To make this a development-related post, translators, please include
> a proper character encoding in your (X)HTML files. ;-)

Yup.

Re: Translated version of the Release Notes?

Posted by Kobayashi Noritada <no...@dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>.
Hi,

> > http://dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~nori1/tmp/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html.ja
>
> Uhm, this is not exactly an answer to your question (actually, it's not
> an answer at all), but for your (translated) release notes to be valid
> (X)HTML you really should specify a character encoding using the <meta>
> tag. Especially if you are using a somewhat lesser used encoding.
> To make this a development-related post, translators, please include
> a proper character encoding in your (X)HTML files. ;-)

Thank you, Sjoerd.
That document is encoded with UTF-8.
I've fixed locally as pointed out, adding language/encoding information.

Actually, in Japan, three encoding system, EUC-JP, iso-2022-jp (JIS),
and Shift_JIS, have been used for a long time and the mixture have caused
many problems.
In addition, UTF-8 (and UTF-16?) is also getting used frequently today.
So, Japanese people are picky about those encoding problems and educated
to always add meta information to (X)HTML files... , but I forgot it.;-)

Posted by Sjoerd Tieleman <Sj...@phil.uu.nl>.
On 27 Oct 2005, at 05:12, Kobayashi Noritada wrote:

> I have a question.
> Are there any plans to have official www pages translated in languages
> other than English?
> I mean, I've translated svn_1.3_releasenotes.html into Japanese, which
> can be available at
> http://dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~nori1/tmp/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html.ja
> temporarily, and I'd like to know whether I can put it in the official
> repository or not.

Uhm, this is not exactly an answer to your question (actually, it's not
an answer at all), but for your (translated) release notes to be valid
(X)HTML you really should specify a character encoding using the <meta>
tag. Especially if you are using a somewhat lesser used encoding.
To make this a development-related post, translators, please include
a proper character encoding in your (X)HTML files. ;-)

Regards,

Sjoerd.

Re: Translated version of the Release Notes?

Posted by Hojin Choi <ho...@gmail.com>.
Where the notes are stored is another matter of translating.

But I think the translating format should be fixed before translators
begin their work.

It can be a normal xhtml file, plain text with simple markup or
po format(which is preferred) with a proper converter.

Cheers,
Hojin Choi

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.
Nope.  We've no ready delivery vehicle for that markup.

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Hojin Choi wrote:

> I am sorry for reminding this mail again quoted below. :)
> Nobody interested in managing release note with po format?
>

> 2005/10/28, Hojin Choi <ho...@gmail.com>:
> > How about using po format to translate release note?
> >
> > 1. mark translating area in the release note. ( we call this release
> > note template)
> > 2. extracting the areas from the template as msgids of svn_releasenote_1.3.pot
> > 3. copy that pot to each locale's po (e.g. svn_releasenote_1.3.ko.po,
> > svn_releasenote_1.3.ja.po ...)
> > 4. translate the po-es
> > 5. re-build release note from the po-es
> >
> > I simply made an extracting tool (text2pot.pl at step 2), a build tool
> > (po2text.pl at step 5)
> > and the sample release note template which contains
> > "<translate>...</translate>" tags embraced
> > version of current 1.3 release note.
> >
> > The usage is like this:
> >
> > $ tools/po/text2pot.pl www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html.template >
> > www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.pot
> >
> > $ cp www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.pot www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.ko_KR.po
> >
> > $ vi www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.ko_KR.po
> >
> > $ tools/po/po2text.pl www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.ko_KR.po
> > www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html.template >
> > www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html.ko
> >

> > Any comments?

> > > Thanks for translating our release notes!
> > >
> > --

Daniel Rall

Re: Translated version of the Release Notes?

Posted by Hojin Choi <ho...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hojin Choi <ho...@gmail.com>.
How about using po format to translate release note?

1. mark translating area in the release note. ( we call this release
note template)
2. extracting the areas from the template as msgids of svn_releasenote_1.3.pot
3. copy that pot to each locale's po (e.g. svn_releasenote_1.3.ko.po,
svn_releasenote_1.3.ja.po ...)
4. translate the po-es
5. re-build release note from the po-es

I simply made an extracting tool (text2pot.pl at step 2), a build tool
(po2text.pl at step 5)
and the sample release note template which contains
"<translate>...</translate>" tags embraced
version of current 1.3 release note.

The usage is like this:

$ tools/po/text2pot.pl www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html.template >
www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.pot

$ cp www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.pot www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.ko_KR.po

$ vi www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.ko_KR.po

$ tools/po/po2text.pl www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.ko_KR.po
www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html.template >
www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html.ko

Any comments?

2005/10/28, David James <ja...@gmail.com>:
> On 10/26/05, Kobayashi Noritada <no...@dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote:

> > I'd like to know how other developers/translators thinks.
>
> Thanks for translating our release notes!

Name : Hojin Choi <hojin.choi -at- gmail.com>
Home Page : http://hojin.bogmjari.net/

Re: Translated version of the Release Notes?

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Kobayashi Noritada <no...@dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp> writes:
> Oh, sorry. my explanation might be not enough.
> Two (1)-s are useful for users to compare which of original version and its
> translation is newer, i.e. to know whether translation is up-to-date or not.
> If there are other better ways to give readers that information, it will be
> nice.
> Or, is it unnecessary?

I think it will only distract the reader.  We can use 'svn log' to
determine when the translation and master are out of sync.

> I think one solution would be moving www/XX.html to www/en/XX.html.
> To do so, it is necessary to obtain full committers' agreement.

I see -- that's a larger subject, yes.  My suggestion is to post a new
thread, with a clear subject line, explaining the problem and
proposing this solution, and see what people say.  Most committers are
probably not reading this thread.

Best,
-Karl

Re: Translated version of the Release Notes?

Posted by Kobayashi Noritada <no...@dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> > So what I must do for www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html is:
> >
> > (1) Embed a keyword, Revision, and set properties to turn it on to show
> >     it is last modified at rLATEST_REVISION.
> > (2) Embed links to other language pages (as far, only Japanese).
>
> I missed the part about $Revision$ being necessary... what is it for?
> >  ...and for www/ja/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html is:
> > (1) Embed a text that it is based on English one at rSOME_REVISION.

Oh, sorry. my explanation might be not enough.
Two (1)-s are useful for users to compare which of original version and its
translation is newer, i.e. to know whether translation is up-to-date or not.
If there are other better ways to give readers that information, it will be
nice.
Or, is it unnecessary?

> > Then I have another question.
> > If content negotiation is turned on,
> > www/ja/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html is seen not only as
> > www/ja/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html but also as www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html.
> > So, which URI should the link from Japanese page to English page point to?
>
> Ugh.  I have no clue how to solve that; I wish content negotiation
> wouldn't do that :-(.

I think one solution would be moving www/XX.html to www/en/XX.html.
To do so, it is necessary to obtain full committers' agreement.

Regards,

-nori

Re: Translated version of the Release Notes?

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Kobayashi Noritada <no...@dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp> writes:
> So what I must do for www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html is:
>
> (1) Embed a keyword, Revision, and set properties to turn it on to show
>     it is last modified at rLATEST_REVISION.
> (2) Embed links to other language pages (as far, only Japanese).

I missed the part about $Revision$ being necessary... what is it for?

Agree with (2), yeah.

> ...and for www/ja/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html is:
>
> (1) Embed a text that it is based on English one at rSOME_REVISION.
> (2) Embed links to other language pages (as far, only Egnlish).

Sure.

Posted by Kobayashi Noritada <no...@dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>.
David James wrote:
> > > I'd love to see official translations added to our repository, but I'm
> > > not sure where they belong. Perhaps we should create a special
> > > directory under "www" for storing translated versions of the
> > > documents?
> >
> > +1
> >
> > As an interim strategy, how about for any translation T of document X,
> > we put a small note at the top of X linking to T.
> >
> > T would live in www/TWO_LETTER_LANGUAGE_CODE/, and each of those
> > directories would have the same structure as www/ itself.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> +1. Noritada, if your translation of the Japanese release notes is
> ready, please add it as www/ja/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html .
>
> We should also put a link in www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html to your new
> document -- can you submit a patch to do this? Here's a template
> (borrowed from  http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ )

>       hreflang="ja" lang="ja" rel="alternate">Japanese</a>

OK.
So what I must do for www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html is:

(1) Embed a keyword, Revision, and set properties to turn it on to show
    it is last modified at rLATEST_REVISION.
(2) Embed links to other language pages (as far, only Japanese).

...and for www/ja/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html is:

(1) Embed a text that it is based on English one at rSOME_REVISION.
(2) Embed links to other language pages (as far, only Egnlish).

Right?

Then I have another question.
If content negotiation is turned on,
www/ja/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html is seen not only as
www/ja/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html but also as www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html.
So, which URI should the link from Japanese page to English page point to?

Thanks,

Posted by Kobayashi Noritada <no...@dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> >       hreflang=3D"ja" lang=3D"ja" rel=3D"alternate">Japanese</a>
>
> Nah, why the indirection?  Noritada can just commit the change to
> www/svn_1.3_releasenotes himself.  If someone wants to tweak it
> afterwards, that's fine.
>
> Oh, and the link text should be "=C8=D5=CE=C4", not "Japanese" -- let's make
> things easy for the intended audience!
>
> (Noritada, please correct the characters if they're wrong, I'm just
> assuming that the word for "Japanese" in Japanese is the same as it is
> in Chinese.)

Yeah, "&#26085;&#25991;" means Japanese in Chinese, but not in Japanese.
In Japanese, "Japanese" is "&#26085;&#26412;&#35486;" ("Nihongo"),
which is concatenation of "&#26085;&#26412;" ("Nihon", which means "Japan")
and "&#35486;" ("go", which means "language"). :-)

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 06:36:38PM +0900, Kobayashi Noritada wrote:
> > OK.
> > So, to put it together, translation of www/XX.html into LL should go into
> > either www/XX.html.LL or www/LL/XX.html, and the latter is better
> > if that style of content negotiation is turned on.
> > Is it easy to turn it on?

It will probably be on by default for Japanese, Chinese, and Korean in
the next release of CEE deployed to tigris.org (as it has been in past
releases).

> Not quite right.
>
> It needs to be www/XX.html.LL.  The web server will make it visible as
> www/LL/XX.html dynamically only if LL doesn't exist as a directory.
> And, if content-negotiation is turned on with MultiViews, any LL user
> accessing www/XX.html will get www/XX.html.LL instead.

Justin is correct.
--

Daniel Rall

Re: Translated version of the Release Notes?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 06:36:38PM +0900, Kobayashi Noritada wrote:
> OK.
> So, to put it together, translation of www/XX.html into LL should go into
> either www/XX.html.LL or www/LL/XX.html, and the latter is better
> if that style of content negotiation is turned on.
> Is it easy to turn it on?

Not quite right.

It needs to be www/XX.html.LL.  The web server will make it visible as
www/LL/XX.html dynamically only if LL doesn't exist as a directory.
And, if content-negotiation is turned on with MultiViews, any LL user
accessing www/XX.html will get www/XX.html.LL instead.

Hope that makes more sense.  -- justin

Re: Translated version of the Release Notes?

Posted by Kobayashi Noritada <no...@dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net> writes:

> > >The indirection would also bypass the MultiViews-style content
> > >negotiation offered by CEE (in some releases, like the next one).
> >
> > That sounds very odd.  Did you mean "putting the file in a different
> > directory would bypass..." rather than "the indirection would bypass..."?
>
> Sure -- it looked like kfogel was referring to both location and
> person-adding-the-file when he said "indirection".

I was referring to the humans -- "indirection" as in why should
Noritada go thorugh someone else to tweak the referring file, when he
could just do it directly instead?

Re: Translated version of the Release Notes?

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Daniel Rall wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Karl Fogel wrote:
>
>>Nah, why the indirection?  Noritada can just commit the change to
>>www/svn_1.3_releasenotes himself.  If someone wants to tweak it
>>afterwards, that's fine.
>
> The indirection would also bypass the MultiViews-style content
> negotiation offered by CEE (in some releases, like the next one).

That sounds very odd.  Did you mean "putting the file in a different directory
would bypass..." rather than "the indirection would bypass..."?

- Julian

Re: Translated version of the Release Notes?

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.

David James <ja...@gmail.com> writes:
> +1. Noritada, if your translation of the Japanese release notes is
> ready, please add it as www/ja/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html .
>
> We should also put a link in www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html to your new
> document -- can you submit a patch to do this? Here's a template
> (borrowed from  http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ )

>       hreflang="ja" lang="ja" rel="alternate">Japanese</a>

Nah, why the indirection?  Noritada can just commit the change to
www/svn_1.3_releasenotes himself.  If someone wants to tweak it
afterwards, that's fine.

Oh, and the link text should be "日文", not "Japanese" -- let's make

Posted by David James <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 27 Oct 2005 12:13:33 -0500, kfogel@collab.net <kf...@collab.net> wrote:
> David James <ja...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Thanks for translating our release notes!
> >
> > I'd love to see official translations added to our repository, but I'm
> > not sure where they belong. Perhaps we should create a special
> > directory under "www" for storing translated versions of the
> > documents?
>
> +1
>
> As an interim strategy, how about for any translation T of document X,
> we put a small note at the top of X linking to T.
>
> T would live in www/TWO_LETTER_LANGUAGE_CODE/, and each of those
> directories would have the same structure as www/ itself.
>
> Thoughts?
+1. Noritada, if your translation of the Japanese release notes is
ready, please add it as www/ja/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html .

We should also put a link in www/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html to your new
document -- can you submit a patch to do this? Here's a template
(borrowed from  http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ )

      hreflang="ja" lang="ja" rel="alternate">Japanese</a>

Thanks,

David

--
David James -- http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~james